Flights Home? What is a Safe Time?

MikeH

Can anyone tell me what is a safe time to book a flight home from a cruise?

We are on Caribbean Princess that arrives back from Eastern Carib on Aug 21st.

Not sure if we can book for something like 11am or does it need to be much later than that? Earlier?

Thanks,

Mike

We just recently came off the CP and we had a 12:10 flight home and it worked out great!

We've been on a cruise where the boat arrived about an hour late, and some people really had to scramble to get off the boat that morning.

Have a great crusie!

The last cruise I was on, they let everyone with earlier flights off first. It made me wish I was one of them. But if there is a problem with customs, etc on that last day, that could delay everyone. I would rather wait on the ship knowing I had time to make the flight, since I get very nervous about missing planes.

HOWEVER, if you have booked your airfare through the cruiseline, I don't think you have to pay extra if you have to make a later flight.

We consider waiting in the airport an investment in stomach lining, why would you want some tiny thing to make you nuts after such a wonderful week?

Never, never push it, like poking Murphy in the eye.

I rarely book a return flight before noon or one, either, out of Miami or FLL. A couple of times, we've opted for something around 5-6 p.m. to take one of the post-excursion tours. However, I'm a "bumper" and several times have booked the AA 11:20 a.m. flight out of Miami (from cruises returning to Miami). I always offer to bump, since it usually doesn't matter to me when I get home, or how long I have to hang around the airport. I always have a good book to read, and the airport Starbuck's and I are great pals! A couple of times, I've bumped two or three times, and turned in the vouchers to the Future Travel Desk at AA right at the airport, selected a Sat. - Sun week-long flight for sometime in the future, gotten the ticket on the spot (for free), and then got home and looked for a cruise to match my air ticket. Remind me to tell you sometime of our greatest "bumping" adventure ever...flying out of Beef Island, Tortola on good old American Eagle!

Don't book too early or you will be fretting if the ship does not return on time. We were 4 hours late returning on one cruise and the frenzy that it caused was something to see. We like to stay on the ship as long as possible and let the crowds get off and on their way.

Archived