Shopping in NYC

bronbeth

Hi -

A little off topic but I thought you ladies may be able to help me. I will have only one day in New York on an upcoming cruise. As I've visited quite often, I thought I'd fit in a bit of shopping... Can anyone tell me what time most of the shops will open? Also any suggestions of "not to miss" stores would be appreciated - where are your favourite places to shop in Manhattan?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Beth

Hi -

A little off topic but I thought you ladies may be able to help me. I will have only one day in New York on an upcoming cruise. As I've visited quite often, I thought I'd fit in a bit of shopping... Can anyone tell me what time most of the shops will open? Also any suggestions of "not to miss" stores would be appreciated - where are your favourite places to shop in Manhattan?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Beth

Hi Beth, Jane would be better to help, but since I go 2x a year having lived there and you wanted opinions I'll give you my store faves.

Dept stores open at 10am and most stores on 5th ave do even the boutiques. In Soho and Nolita I find the stores open a bit later and can varry from store to store even.

Hard to give you stores without knowing what you want to shop for (shoes, clothing accessories etc) but my all time favorite shop is Saks

Hi,

Thanks for the information - I can start to plan my day.

Sorry - I realise I should have made the questions more specific... I'm thinking about clothes and shoes, perhaps even a new dress for formal evenings (I probably don't need another one but it never hurts to look, right?). I'm mid 20's and prefer classic cuts and shapes.

Thanks again for any help,

Beth

Hi Beth,

MrsMoose gave you some info and I'd be happy to add, however, I really need more information so I can make suggestions that will give you the experience you want to have here.

The first question is what is your goal? Buy or Browse?

EITHER:

A. You really want to purchase some things. Do you have a list of "must have" items. If so, then knowing your budget and style would help. For example, if you want to buy a wide variety of better to designer clothing, I'd suggest Sak's where you can find gorgeous clothes, shoes, jewelry, accessories in all sizes (Missy, Plus & Petite). If your goal is an incredible pair of designer shoes, I'd suggest Bergdorf Goodman, Barney's or Jeffrey's.

If you want shoes, but can't spend alot, I'd suggest walking 8th Street between 5th and 6th Ave in the Village.

OR:

Is your goal to see and experience NYC stores and actually buying is

insignificant? I'm this kind of shopper when I travel. I like to savor the local retail experience with the "if I see something I like, I'll buy. If I don't, that's okay too" attitude.

If that's what you want, then tell me what kind of looking you'd like to do. The funky, young designers? The established high end designers? Big department stores? Little boutiques?

So, tell me what you want and I'll point you in the right direction.

For me, my favorite stores to shop in are Sak's, Bergdorf Goodman and Takashimaya for upper end department stores. (all 3 are within blocks of each other) The upper east side (east 70's and 3rd Ave) for trendy boutiques like Scoop, Searle and Big Drop for jeans and tops. Eric and Dianne B for shoes. Jeffrey's in the Meat Packing District for shoes.

Laila Rowe ( a few around town) for cheap summer jewelry & fabric handbags. Banana Republic and Gap for tee's and casual pants. (a few around town).

You said you've been here before, so if you tell me what neighborhoods you're familiar with, perhaps I can suggest some new stomping grounds for you.

Dept stores open at about 10:00AM. Boutiques the same, but downtown boutiques probably noon. Closing times can vary from 6:00 to 9:00 depending on the day of the week, the size of the store and the neighborhood. Small, funky boutiques with inexpensive clothing in area's like the village and the east village can be open past midnight.

For mid range options, I like H&M, Mexx, Armani Exchange (think of an upscale Gap), FCUK and they are all near each other. I like them because I don't have those shops in my hometown and they aren't budget busters.

If you have a bit of money to spend, go straight to Bergdorf Goodman. It is the mother ship.

Archived