Please Reassure Me Re Westerdam

mickeyfitz

We love HAL because, in part, because of the smaller ships and the traditional atmosphere. We have only sailed on the S class ships and on the Zaandam and they were perfect, but we have booked a 10 day cruise next year on the Westerdam out of Rome because of the itinerary and schedule. I am, however, a bit leary of the Vista class ships, since we love the smaller ships so much. We just returned recently from a Panama Canal transit on the Ryndam and it was simply fantastic, not just the best cruise we ever took, but the best vacation trip of any kind. Can a Hal traditionalist please reassure me re the Westerdam.

The Zaandam is our favorite HAL ship and we were just on the Veendam a few weeks ago. Like you, we had some reservations (related to the number of passengers compared to the smaller ships) when we booked on the Westerdam for a Baltic cruise last summer. We found that our worries were unfounded. While I still prefer smaller, the Westerdam was beautiful and in our opinion still had the spacious, uncrowded feeling of other HAL ships. One advantage I see is the much larger number of verandah suites available. For our cruise last month I didn't book early enough and we really missed having a verandah.

I felt much like you do before setting foot on the Oosterdam last year. But when I returned I wrote a review that can best be summarized as "Good ship, good crew, great service, great cruise."

Read the whole review here.

Thank you all for responding to this question. I too am wondering how people have liked the Westerdam as I am planning a Nov 2007 Caribbean cruise on her and am starting to familiarize myself with HAL. The size doesn't bother me as I am sailing on QM2 this Dec but I'd love to hear more personal experiences so I hope more of you will keep posting and fill us newbies in on this lovely looking ship. Cheers, Penny

If anyone can be called a "HAL traditionalist", I can. I love the S-class ships, and enjoy the R-class. I would love to sail on the Prinsendam. I have always felt (and still do) that the Vista's are just too large.

I sailed the Noordam---not the Westerdam---and enjoyed the cruise. Even though it is large, it's designed to feel smaller than it is. The passageways take some bends and turns so you aren't looking down what could seem to be "forever". The lounges have their nooks and crannies.

Remember, too, that you are going on a fairly port-intensive cruise. Your focus will be more on those, and less on the ship than it would be on some other itinerary.

Relax. Trust that HAL will still be HAL. And have a good time.

I'm going to try this one more time....the last time I posted a response, I was thrown out.:mad:

When I sailed the Amsterdam, I thought it was the perfect ship size. I didn't expect to like the Vistas, but surprise, surprise....I loved the Oosterdam. We sailed back to backs....the first week in a suite and the second week in a "D" cabin on Main Deck (second week was a spectacular offer to stay on board from HAL that we couldn't refuse.) Actually, we enjoyed the second week more than the first....much better weather, more enjoyable ports, and better service (had a couple of little problems the first week.)

Don't rule out the Vistas until you try them. They are a little different from the S and R class ships....slightly smaller staterooms, more passengers, and a few convoluted deck plans....but they are still HAL ships. I didn't feel crowded and thoroughly enjoyed my experience. I think a lot has to do with the itinerary and time of year you travel. I don't think I'd like the Vistas at spring break or holiday time....but then, I don't think I'd like ANY ship at that time. I hope to sail Westerdam sometime down the road.

I think I'm a fairly traditional person, and I enjoyed the Oosterdam. If you have any flexibility at all, I don't think you'll have a problem with the Vistas.

We introduced two other couples to cruising last January on the Westerdam, and everyone loved it, more cruises on Westerdam have been booked by the new cruisers. Yes it is larger than my husband and I prefer, but it never felt crowded and there are lots of small intimate spaces to enjoy. Give it a try, I'm sure you will enjoy it. In fact we are sailing her again in Jan.

Thank you GloriaF....your review was both informative and helpful and I appreciate you posting the link for it. It is this kind of information that is helping me feel more comfortable about trying out HAL and the Westerdam in particular. Cheers, Penny

Gloria...I'll be happy to report back but it'll be awhile...I'm looking at Nov of 2007. We are booked on QM2 this Dec so I'm already looking towards next year!! A bit premature I know...I just love the anticipation. Thanks again, Penny

Archived