How to handle your stuff when on excursions/beaches?

stitch78

I'm a woman and have a purse but of course I don't want to carry that around, especially when visiting beaches. I plan to carry only necessary identification, small amt of money (enough for whatever I need) and my digital camera.

1) What should I carry to hold these items that will make it less likely to be pickpocketed? My camera is pretty small, but I may wear something without pockets or very small pockets so I'll need some kind of bag.

2) What to do with these items while swimming in beaches...DH also wants to do a stingray encounter. Should we just put stuff in plastic bag and in DH's swim trunk zipped pocket? But what about the digital camera? Or would you recommend leaving that in the safe in the cabin for any water activities?

2) What to do with these items while swimming in beaches...DH also wants to do a stingray encounter. Should we just put stuff in plastic bag and in DH's swim trunk zipped pocket? But what about the digital camera? Or would you recommend leaving that in the safe in the cabin for any water activities?

found this online for my DH awhile back:

http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/dp65.html

Haven't ordered or used it yet, so I can't speak to its effectiveness, but it might be worth a try.

For the digital camera, I'd leave that on the ship before taking it in a bag that was said to be waterproof. It is just too much of an investment to risk.

You can buy an underwater disposable camera for those days and not risk your other photos or your expensive camera.

I'm a woman and have a purse but of course I don't want to carry that around, especially when visiting beaches. I plan to carry only necessary identification, small amt of money (enough for whatever I need) and my digital camera.

1) What should I carry to hold these items that will make it less likely to be pickpocketed? My camera is pretty small, but I may wear something without pockets or very small pockets so I'll need some kind of bag.

We went on a shore excursion on Nassau where we did the sting ray petting and then snorkeling, and the guide just told us to drop our clothes, wallets, shoes, etc. at the edge of the beach, assuring us it would be fine. I had only my glasses, a neck pouch with ID and ship card, and we dropped them as directed. I carried a waterproof camera and the guide helped me get pictures when I couldn't find the interesting fishes alone.

An hour later, after a great experience in the water, we came back onto the beach to our pile of clothes and sure enough, it was all there.

The only time we had any threat of robbery was on the other side of the world where an attempt was made by a young man on a bicycle to yank the pouch off the string around my neck, and he only succeeded in falling off his bike.

I'll always leave my valuables in the cabin and worry a lot more about natives as we shop around town in foreign ports than I will about fellow cruisers.

Slinkie

We did Stingray City in GC and took our backpack with supplies in it. We purchased a waterproof camera, but also took the digital camera. Since we were on a tour boat with other cruisers it was fine to leave our stuff on the boat while we were in the water.

At Playa Mia in Cozumel we took the backpack too, but we opted to rent a locker for the day. This was a good thing too, because we ended up going out on a jetski for an hour.

I just got back from the Caribbean and this is what I did. For any beach excursions, I had my big beach bag, which had (besides the usual lotion) a beach towel from the ship, my camera in its case, and my wallet. Never had a problem. The bag was big enough to also carry a change of clothes when changing rooms were available. Alot of the beach excursions also included sightseeing and shopping so I would just carry my beach bag over my shoulder.

For the snorkeling excursions, you just leave everything on the boat. For the Master Blaster in Aruba (i.e. thriller boat), you can put everything inside the seat. For the zip-lining in St. Lucia, you could leave everything on the bus but I chose to wear my backpack purse.

For any excursion that didn't include the beach, I'd just carry my backpack purse - small enough to not get in the way but big enough to carry all necessities.

So it's all do-able. Not to worry.

I just got back from the Caribbean and this is what I did. For any beach excursions, I had my big beach bag, which had (besides the usual lotion) a beach towel from the ship, my camera in its case, and my wallet. Never had a problem. The bag was big enough to also carry a change of clothes when changing rooms were available. Alot of the beach excursions also included sightseeing and shopping so I would just carry my beach bag over my shoulder.

I also have a large bag and bury my cash, ID, and cc's inside.

I large bag is less likely to get stolen because it is much harder to hide or they have to spend the time to dig through it to find your stuff.

Archived