Brugge port distance

Does anybody know how far it is from the port to the Old Town in Brugge? Is it withing walking distance? How much would a taxi cost? Do you need a tour of Brugge or can you see a lot just walking around?

Depend upon where the ship is docking.

Usually you need a taxi to visit Brugge or you can take the shuttle to Blankenberge and then the train to Brugge.

But when the ship is docking near the Marine you can take the tram to Knokke or walk around.

Gitte

Been doing a lot of research for the July 10 cruise on Insignia. We are a non-smoking couple who has arranged for a taxi into Brugge and looking for another couple to share the taxi round trip. Cost is 45 Euro split evenly plus tip. We plan on touring on own. (PS That day will be our 25th Anniversary)

You can find a bunch of information (plus port layouts) at: http://www.zeebruggeport.be/ - such as the following. Terminals - The port area is subdivided into several concessions which are granted to terminal operators for long periods (up to 25 years). These stevedoring companies are private companies which are responsible for the specialized handling and storage of goods. The port of Bruges-Zeebrugge is divided into 3 areas: the Outer port, the Inner Port and the Inner port Bruges. In Zeebrugge cruise ships moor at the Leopold II dam or in the Albert II dock, both located in the western outer port, about 2 kms from the train station. Taxi’s and shuttle buses are permanently available at quay side.

We arranged for the taxi because we found the following on other posts: When we were there in 2003, I had prearranged with another cruise critic couple in advance to share a taxi to and from Bruges. This worked great because we were the only ones from the ship with a taxi waiting for us at port, so we did not have to wait on a group or a train schedule. The driver dropped us off right in the town square early, way before all the crowds were there. This worked out to our advantage because we went straight to the bell tower and climbed it. My wife is claustrophobic, and with the narrow and steep stairway (hard for two people to pass without both turning sideways!) she would have panicked had there been many people in front and below us ascending and descending the stairway. We used the services of brugsetaxiservice@brugge.com. They were right on time later in the day at a specified place to whisk us back to the ship. They charged us a web discount of 32 Euro each way, which of course was split by two couples.

Also go to your post on Stockholm. I will be replying there with Insigina information. If you have questions about other ports, I have found several port sites.

Terry

irsdcc - We used a taxi from the port into Bruges when we sailed on R8 back in 2001, but we just used a taxi that from the line near the bottom of the gangway, $40US plus tip in those days....4 of us are also on the 10 July Insignia cruise. How did you reserve a taxi in advance?

steve

Steve - we sent an email to brugsetaxiservice@brugge.com. You can also go to website at www.brugsetaxiservice.com and send email. However, when we sent our email we asked about 4 or 8 and they said it would be the same 45 euros one way (correction from originally saying round trip). Therefore, if the four of you would like to join us and perhaps if rhodes wants to join we could split the cost 8 ways making it cheaper. When they replied all they needed was credit card. They will have a taxi with our name in the windshield. Also, they said all their drivers speak english (?). Let me know if the four of you are interested. We plan on doing the city on our own so you not have to worry about us once we got to the city. We would just need to give them a return time. We want to spend as much time in the city as possible.

Terry

Rhodes - thanks for the reply. Just need to hear from Steve (boom boom) to know if to arrange for 4 or 8 for the same 45 Euros.

Steve - if your group of 4 joins, it would only be about 6.50 Euros each (52 total to include tip).

Once Steve replies, we can arrange a meeting location on the ship prior to going to the taxi.

Terry

Gil and Rhodes - we will have at least 6. If we do not hear from Boom_Boom (Steve), perhaps we can find others on the ship. I will contact the company and make final arrangements. Once I have the details, I will post again and we can arrange a place and time to meet before we get off the shop.

Looking forward to a great cruise.

Terry

You may want to check out this website:http://www.quasimodo.be/

We did this tour back in September on our transatlantic on the Constellation. It was an excellent tour. It's called the triple treat tour as you get a Waffle, come belgian cherry flavored beer and of course some Chocolate during the tour. Phillipe is so knowledgeable and so is his wife.

Archived