Caribbean Princess or Star?

mexico5

Hi, first time cruiser here and I think we have narrowed down our choices to the 2 above. We like the idea of personal choice dining.

My question is this: how do you pick a ship, do you pick the best itinerary or the actual ship you like? I am reading that all ports are not 100% going to happen so maybe we should base it on the ship?

What do you think? I cannot seem to find any pics of the Star(besides the fire ones) and the Princess sure looks nice. I like the itinerary better on the Star, but maybe the looks of the Princess better? Please help us newbies!

I guess we like the idea of only having 2 days at sea on the Star. Who knows, maybe we will love the sea days at the end. So many what ifs?

We thought we had decided on Norwegian Jewel, but could not stand the bright Austin Powers colors on board!

Thank you!

The Star Princess carries approximately 500 fewer people than Caribbean Princess, (on same size hull), and thus not quite as crowded.

That would be enough to tip the scales for me - not being a crowd lover.

I have sailed on both ships. The Star for 25 days and the Caribbean Princess for 7 days.

We normally pick the cruise for the itinerary now as we have been on 30 cruises. But when we only had a few cruises we also did some serious looking at the ship and what it had to offer.

Personally, for my first cruise, I think I would choose the Caribbean Princess, just so I could be totally overwhelmed at the ship and what it has to offer. LOL

We honestly saw not much difference in the amount of passengers onboard the Caribbean Princess compared to the Star EXCEPT for tendering and reboarding the ship at peak times, then we noticed the difference quite a bit. Other than that, the CB was much nicer than the Star.

Thanks for the quick responses! I never thought about it that way. I imagine they look pretty much the same inside?

So many things to learn about cruising and how to pick the right ship! We are in our 30's and my husband and I are not real partiers by any means, so our only criteria would be some nice dining options, nice cabin with balcony and some nice visits to ports. We have only ever done all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean.

Thanks

Also mid thirties and have been on both. Toss a coin...we had a great time on both ships. The Caribbean P has the MUTS, which is really cool, Star does not...but it's not a deal breaker for us. Would do either ship again.

We've sailed both: Star this past October, Caribbean December before that. Didn't feel crowded on either, except in the Caribbean's theater. It was standing room only. Other lounges didn't feel crowded to us. We're actually sailing her again in October 2006.

I am a Star Fan!!! Have booked her three times. I have now booked the CB for 4/29/07 eastern itinerary. Due to the extra pax on the CB, I would hesitate to book her for the Western as tendering can be more of a chore with the added number of people. With the exception (hopefully) of Princess Cay, the eastern ports are docked, easy on, easy off.

Must admit, I am looking forward to the CB. Our TA really enjoyed her cruise. Added bonus is the Cafe Caribe...yum!

I was on the Caribbean Princess last week. This was our second cruise on the same ship. Last week, we did the Eastern itinerary and two years ago, we did the western itinerary. MUTS is a huge movie screen which is above one of the swimming pools mid-ship. They have all kinds of movies and videos they show during different times of the day. The last night of our cruise for something different, instead of going to a show in the Princess Theater, we went upstairs to the MUTS to watch "I Walk the Line" (Johnny Cash). You sit on the pool lounges and they have wool throws for evening when the wind gets cool. They hand out free popcorn and you can buy beverages and candy if you wish. It was a neat way to end our cruise. We never saw any problems with crowds on either cruise and the tender issue isn't a big deal with more passengers. Just leave a little earlier in the day for where you want to go. We love the Caribbean Princess.

Count me in as another Pittsburgher who loves the Caribbean Princess!! Lots of seafood served on this gorgeous ship, in the Caribe Cafe. We also didnt notice crowding, except in the Theater.

I was on the Caribbean Princess last week. This was our second cruise on the same ship. Last week, we did the Eastern itinerary and two years ago, we did the western itinerary. MUTS is a huge movie screen which is above one of the swimming pools mid-ship. They have all kinds of movies and videos they show during different times of the day. The last night of our cruise for something different, instead of going to a show in the Princess Theater, we went upstairs to the MUTS to watch "I Walk the Line" (Johnny Cash). You sit on the pool lounges and they have wool throws for evening when the wind gets cool. They hand out free popcorn and you can buy beverages and candy if you wish. It was a neat way to end our cruise. We never saw any problems with crowds on either cruise and the tender issue isn't a big deal with more passengers. Just leave a little earlier in the day for where you want to go. We love the Caribbean Princess.

Hi, would it concern anyone to go on the Star after the fire thing? We are planning on first part of December.

Fires, thrown overboard grooms, norwalk virus, pirates, etc.

Guess it does not really matter what ship, you never know what might happen!

I still can't wait for our first cruise! I am having my travel agent price out the Star and Caribbean, maybe that will help us decide.

Thanks for the great links of pics for both ships, that really helps!

I've sailed on the Grand (sister to the Star) and the Sapphire which is an in betweener to the Star and CB. While I can't speak on pax because the Star and Sapphire are the same I can say the thing I loved about the Sapphire over the Grand was Club Fusion and the CB has Club Fusion. I found the Vista lounge sort of bland and uninviting whereas Club Fusion always had something fun going on whether it be game shows, bingo or Princess Pop Star (American Idol). We are like you, we are not partiers AT ALL in fact we walked up to Skywalker's one night and just walked through and said "okay, we saw it" and that was good enough for us.

I loved our time on the Grand but I would take a newer ship now over the original three (Star, Golden & Grand). That said, you will have a fantastic time on either.

PS - If sea days are a deciding factor, take the sea days!! Both of my Princess Cruises have been half sea and half land I loved both.

The main differences to me are

1. Additional passengers on the Caribbean. This could create potential problems in the theatre seating and waits for tendering. I'd consider this a disadvantage.
  2. Caribbean has Cafe Caribe--Caribbean oriented buffet. I'd consider this an advantage.
  3. Caribbean has MUTS. It seems to me that most like this (I do), but some don't. One of the Star's sister ships (the Grand has this, but the Star doesn't).
  4. I think that the Caribbean spa has better facilities--I'm not sure if the Star has a thermal suite, but I think the Caribbean does. This is an advantage only if you use the spa.

If you like the Star's itenerary better, I'd suggest that. But I don't think that you will go wrong with either one.

Thanks again for the replies. Yes, I do like the itinerary better on the Star. I just think that sometimes can change and then we would be on our second choice ship with the same amount of ports as the Caribbean Princess itinerary.

I am not sure what weather conditions are like early December going to Western Caribbean. Something that cannot be predicted I guess.

I guess for a first time cruiser, the amounts of chances to get off the ship appeal to us, just in case I do like cruising(sea sickness, or whatever)

I am sure you are all correct in saying that we cannot go wrong on either ship!

Thanks again

I am also down to the Star and the CB for our Feb 07 cruise. I have been on the Grand (three years ago) and loved it. I went on the CB in April and had an OK time....A lot of noise from club fusion and the spa was horrible....but I am giving the CB another chance in Sept....I did love Cafe Caribe...I am not a big movie fan even though I do like the concept of MUTS. I just want to go on a different ship and since my wife will not fly and we live in fl (only an hour from the port) The caribbean really is my only chioce.

Wow. this is a tough one. I like the Movie under the stars on the Caribbean princess but I also like the pool being covered on the Star. We did miss the added food area that is on the Caribbean Princess but not the Star. This was to handle more people.

Hi, just heard from my TA and the Star is $900. more than the Caribbean. That difference is for the both of us. Is the Caribbean considered a little more "upscale" or something?

It is hard to judge the two based on the reviews on this site. Seems like they are not that great for the Star as they are for the Caribbean, yet they are both considered 4 of those ribbon things?

I do like the itinerary on the Star, so maybe we should go on that one. Cannot imagine not us not liking either ship.

I have been on both the Caribbean and the Star. I think I liked the Star a little better because I loved the covered pool and I loved the itinerary. Many of of the amenities are the same on both ships and the MUTS is a nice touch but they told us we had to make a reservation in order to have seating for the film so we ended up not going to them. I also had heard about the Cafe Caribe but we had never made it there either. I did use the spa on the Star and it was lovely! But I would not hesitate to cruise on either ship again. Both were wonderful experiences.

If you prefer the itinerary (actually, I would prefer the Eastern one instead) then definitely do the Star. Whenever there are Princess complaints on this board, they most often come from the CB. 500 more pax, with little extra public space. I'm surprised the prices are higher on CB, usually its the other way around. -- CB has often been referred to here (not by me) as Princess' "entry-level" cruise experience.

I've not been on the CB, but was on the Star over the holidays -- it was great. However, it was at capacity and I'm not sure it would have been as enjoyable with an extra deck of 500 aboard.

Archived