The Funchal New years Eve Cruise

brendpal

Hi, just wondering if anyone has been on or going on the The Funchal New years Eve Cruise this year,end of 2006. Is it a good crusie to do,what the entertainment like and are the drinks good prices. Whats the nightclub like? Hope you can help

Thanks

Hi Brendpal, I don't know if I can be much help with your specific questions, but couldn't resist replying!

My husband and I have been on the Funchal twice so far, but not on a New Years Eve cruise.

In February, 2005 we went on a 12 nighter to Bali and back, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We also went on the Nov/Dec 2005 ill-fated Athens to Fremantle cruise. The ship got as far as Safaga, Egypt, and then the port side engine broke down. Three weeks later the ship resumed its itinerary, and arrived in Fremantle 4 weeks late. We couldn't afford the extra time involved, and flew home from Safaga after staying on there for a couple of weeks, taking a good look at Egypt and enjoying shipboard life. The staff, entertainment and food were all terrific, but I must add that we didn't experience the night club. I guess you mean the Gama Lounge or Porto Bar around midnight and later. We were usually in bed by then!

We have decided to try again to get to all the ports we missed out on last year, and have booked again for the 2006 Athens to Fremantle trip.

So, you can see, that we enjoy the Funchal experience enough to keep coming back. Can I help you with any more information? Just ask!

Cheers, Matilda.

A glass of wine was $A2.50 in February 2005 and $A3.00 in November 2005. Who knows what the price will be at the end of 2006? Cocktail of the day was $A6.00 last November. Is that cheap? Don't know - we are not serious drinkers!

No. there are no refrigerators in the cabins. A can of soft drink works out a bit dearer than a glass of wine.

As for bringing alcohol on board, I think it is Ok, but didn't try it. Maybe someone else would know for sure.

Hi Brendpal,

We were on the February around Australia cruise 2006. Drink prices were ok. A glass of wine (small - and they only offer one size) is $4.00. Cocktails varied in pricing. There were daily cocktails for $5.00 or $6.00 (depending on what is in them). Normal cocktails were $7.00. The best way to have a cocktail though was to "invent" one for $7.50 - I always found these ones had a better "kick" to them!! If you are a wine drinker, it is often cheaper to buy the whole bottle than to pay by the glass. The nightclub isn't really nightclubby - we found the Porto Bar was the place to be for partying up late. We had no trouble bring our own alcohol on board, just don't try and drink it outside of your cabin, they don't like that very much at all. Checking bags is just the xray machine and they are looking for more important things than alcohol, so don't worry if you have a couple of bottles stashed away!! Tip your cabin steward on arrival and ask for a bucket of ice to be supplied each day, that way you can always have extra drinks in your cabin. One enterprising traveller we knew took one of those big coffee mugs with lids with her and took her scotch and coke with her up to the pool area, but as I said, don't get caught!!!

Hope you have a wonderful cruise and party well!!

First Cruise

Hi Brendpal,

Ok, the Porto Bar seems to be the place of choice on the ship if you are a bit younger. The Gama Lounge is more for the older people. You have to remember that this ship caters more for the retired people than the younger go getters!! It is fairly sedate, however, the Porto Bar seems to attract the more outgoing "out there" people, it is fairly small but packs alot of people in. Lilo on the piano really livens things up amd he is alot of fun. The "nightclub" is held in the Main Lounge fairly late at night. We were there only twice during our 36 night cruise (we are 44) and there were less than 15 people on the dance floor. Bobo the dj in the main lounge does a great job, but don't go looking for the club experience you may have in many main cities in Australia, it just doesn't happen there. The Porto Bar rules!!!! Have a strawberry daiquiri there and enjoy yourself!!!!!!

Hope you find the Funchal experience as uplifting as we did!!!

First Cruise

was there many 18-25 yearolds on the ship, looks like ill be hanging out in the porto bar if thats the place to be lol. also,is there way to get ice without tipping the steward. should have a good time. thanks for the info

As im 19 and my sister 18 we are hoping there will be some young people on board and i think there prob would be being the new years eve cruise and only for 3 days off fremantle. I'm suprised not many have replied to this post as the cruise has just about sold out. What you meen by the best service. Im new to the cruising experience so not sure what you would get for tipping that much. Thanks

brendpal

Hi Bendpal,

Best service is.........your steward anticipating your every need, a bucket of ice turning up at 4.00 pm on the dot every day, extra toiletries should he/she think you need them, a beautifully turned out cabin every night........ If you don't want to tip as much as we did, then just give a little less! Don't forget, these guys work longer hours than we ever would, they are on duty before the sun rises and still going long after the last passenger has gone to bed. One night we had huge seas and all the staff were called on duty at 3.00 am to prepare the ship for the day and fix all the damage that occurred inside and were still on duty at 11.00 pm that night, so spare a thought for them!! A small tip goes a long way in ensuring that your cruise turns out perfectly.

Party on, First Cruise

Hi Brendpal and First Cruise, Just thought I would point out that the $50 tip for First Cruise's steward was for a month-long cruise. For a three day cruise a suitable tip would be more like $8-$10 wouldn't it?

Cheers, Matilda.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Brendpal

Agree with all I have read so far, we were on the Funchal Freo to UK and had quite a few younger people, we only went to the nightclub once , not really clubby but could be different on your cruise. Lea is right abouth the Porto Bar, the staff help make the atmosphere and definately the place to kick on. Please do tip your waiter, we tipped $50.00 for a 36 night cruise so Matilda is quite right, a smaller tip should be OK. We had no problem taking our own grog, we even took the esky and had ice delivered eferyday, the only way you will get it, but be reasonable about drinking in bars, the prices are very good , slighly less than we pay at our own pub in Exmouth. Cocktails are brilliant and well priced, 3 coronas for $10 was an all day special quite often, won't see that too often in Freo or Perth.

Enjoy your cruise, the food and the staff, you may even get hooked like we did.

Happy Cruising.

PS now im jealous

Do you need to tip your steward to get the ice or can you get it yourself. do you just like give them $10 and ask for ice to be there everyday at 6pm etc or what? I have never done this before so i am unsure. What kinda grog can you bring, like can u bring a bottle of vodka or can u bring a couple of 6 packs. Do they care to what you bring. Obviously you would drink it in your room wouldn't you?

Hi Brendpal,

How about concentrating on how much you are going to enjoy your cruise without worrying about how much alcohol you are are going to get through? It's simple really, take a bottle of vodka, tip your cabin steward $10 and ask for ice to be delivered at 5.00 pm every afternoon. Have a few drinks in the Porto Bar and HAVE FUN, that is what you are cruising for in the first place!!!!!

Cruise Safely, First Cruise

hey first cruise,

i know it all aint about the alcohol,lol. ive never been on a cruise before so im just curious to how it all works. im looking foward to it relaxing on board and enjoying maself. cant wait t see this Porto Bar cause from talking about people its the place to be.

Looking foward to my cruise !!!

brendpal

Archived