Curves & Sweating

oneworld

Hi, this may seem like a strange question but I'm considering going to Curves. I'd like to go on my lunch hour but they don't have a shower. How sweaty & stinky do you get from this workout? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

It's a self motivational type circuit, so it really depends on how sweaty you get in general, and then how much you get into the exercise routine.

Do you have a shower avail at work?

I usually go exercising after work, so I can go home and change etc.,

It is one of the downpoints of Curves, but the cost is usually what is offsetting of the inconvenience.

Guest YesitDonna

My Curves is nice enough to provide wipes, powder and deodarant for those who might come in and need to go anywhere after.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, this may seem like a strange question but I'm considering going to Curves. I'd like to go on my lunch hour but they don't have a shower. How sweaty & stinky do you get from this workout? Thanks

one of my friends use to go and she said it was a good work out but the never sweated too badly........

Ooooh, I'm getting excited now! I am going for my first Curves visit tomorrow. Luckily, it is right near my home, so no big deal to come back here to do my power walk and shower.

I have maintained a 40 pound weight loss for several years by walking 2 miles, 5 days a week, and watching the fat. However, now I am hoping to do some serious toning up before our September cruise! :D

• 2 months later...
I have never belonged to a gym before, but worked out at home. I would like to loose some of these horse thighs and flatten my abs. Do you think curves will do it? Also, why is it that when speaking of curves inches is mentioned more than weight lost?

I was an employee at Curves my Senior year in College. I loved it!

The reason why Curves focuses on inches rather than weight is because you use light weight resistence machines. These machines help you build lean muscle replacing the fat. Muscle weighs more than fat, so you may gain a pound or two but loose inches. Your BMI will also go down.

I would recommend Curves to any woman who has a lot to loose, and has at least a half hour 3 times a week. If you go too often, your body may become accustomed to the routine, and then you will plateau and stop loosing weight/inches.

I was an employee at Curves my Senior year in College. I loved it!

The reason why Curves focuses on inches rather than weight is because you use light weight resistence machines. These machines help you build lean muscle replacing the fat. Muscle weighs more than fat, so you may gain a pound or two but loose inches. Your BMI will also go down.

I would recommend Curves to any woman who has a lot to loose, and has at least a half hour 3 times a week. If you go too often, your body may become accustomed to the routine, and then you will plateau and stop loosing weight/inches.

I would like to loose about 30-40 pounds, is possible with curves, but I would like to flatten my stomach, loose my thighs, saddle bags, and lift my butt:o . Can I still do this. Also, can you lift your breast :D . Thank you for your help. I feel so embarrassed. My this will help my self esteem too. I don't feel much like a person. I have a lot of sad things in my life, but one great thing to look forward to the cruise:)

I would like to loose about 30-40 pounds, is possible with curves, but I would like to flatten my stomach, loose my thighs, saddle bags, and lift my butt:o . Can I still do this. Also, can you lift your breast :D . Thank you for your help. I feel so embarrassed. My this will help my self esteem too. I don't feel much like a person. I have a lot of sad things in my life, but one great thing to look forward to the cruise:)

I don't do Curves, but I felt I had to jump in here, nycruiser! If you do Curves for your weight/resistance 3x a week to help build muscle, and supplement it with aerobic exercise (walking, bike riding, exercise tapes, etc) 3x week. You might also want to do some ab exercises to target your ab muscles. But one of the best things to do for your abs is always be aware of them - keep your tummy tucked as you do all sorts exercise, as well as just walking around living your daily life. It helps so much with the muscle tone that you eventually end up doing it without realizing it!

One thing to help with your self esteem is to notice & appreciate ALL your life changes & milestones reached as you try to lose weight & get healthier & more fit. Take ALL your measurements NOW (yes, I know - depressing!), but it will give you something to compare to later as you lose both weight & inches - and sometimes you hit times where you lose one without losing the other, so it's really helpful! I also took pride in the day I could walk (quickly!) up the stairs here at work without being out of breath. When I feel ready to move up a level on the ellipse machine. When I can go up another 5lbs on the wt machines. When I started thinking that bike rides under 10 miles were "wimpy". When my BP (which had never actually been "high") settled into the totally awesome range. When my cholesterol level went down form 279 to 185 with only diet & exercise.

So you know where I'm coming from - It's been two years for me & my weight loss "journey". I've lost about 60 lbs, but have been yoyoing the same 5 lbs since the first of the year. I still would like to lose another 20 lbs. My workouts are fine, I just need to get a handle on my eating again. I have felt a big boost in myself esteem over these last 2 years, because THIS time, with the help of my Cruise Critic buddies, I've come to learn that lifestyle changes, WOE & WOEX (Way of Eating & Way of Exercising) and how I feel, are WAY more important than the number on the scale.

I hope you can find your way to feeling better about yourself as I did.

Keep us informed of your progress, nycruiser!

Sha

What is great about curves is while you are doing the light weight training you are also getting a half hour of cardio/aerobic exercise. I look at the Curves program as Multi-Tasking. The circuit gives you basically 2 half hour programs rolled into one...It will help you loose the 30-40 if you are persistent. Walking between "off days" will also help with the weight loss. The thing to remember is to gradually ease yourself into a work out program. If you start running 2 miles a day, you will burn out quickly. Take baby steps. Attend Curves once every 2 days, and then when you have more energy every other day, and then when you have even more energy take a 15 min. walk on "off days" and continue to add time to that walk the longer you keep it going.

Also, remember it takes 21 days of continuous action to change a habit. :D Good luck!

What if I go to Curves everyday during my lunch hour, and I can walk to work when the weather is nice. It is a 1/2 hour walk. Will that help? I am dedicated. I don't have anything else in my life to look forward to.:( And I don't have any equipment at home, but what can I do at home that will work?

What if I go to Curves everyday during my lunch hour, and I can walk to work when the weather is nice. It is a 1/2 hour walk. Will that help? I am dedicated. I don't have anything else in my life to look forward to.:( And I don't have any equipment at home, but what can I do at home that will work?

Any activity will help! Like alohapride said tho, if you're not used to physical activity, take it slow at the beginning. I've seen many a weight loss program fail (even my own!) because the person tries to do too much all at once & tires themselves out TOO much, so they quit. I like the idea of being able to walk to work - Good for you! Especially at the beginning, give yourself plenty of time to get to work, just in case you're a little achy from the previous day's workout & don't feel up to walking quite as quickly as you normally do. Walking in the morning is a great way to rev up your metabolism for the whole day!

At home, if you have a VCR or DVD player, you could borrow tapes from the library & check out some workouts - find out what you like - aerobics or abs or buns of steel. None which need special equipment. (If you're doing floor exercises like abs or leg lifts, etc, I recommend doing them on carpeting - a lot more comfortable than a bare floor.) If you find some you like, then you can actually buy some at Wal-Mart or wherever they might sell them cheaply in your area. Or check with some friends - anyone who has ever been on a diet or exercise program probably has a few old tapes or DVD's tucked away!

Walking with a friend can also be a great thing - does someone live near you that can walk to work with you? Of have a co-worker drive to your house a couple of times a week & you can walk in together from your house. I know I always enjoy walking more the occasional times I can get someone to go with me!

Good luck!

Sha

Curves is so worth it!! I used to scoff at my mom and sister for going, I was used to higher impact workouts from my days as an athlete. I have been going for 2 month and so far I have lost 19 Lbs. and 23 inches, which shows that I am working hard, and I have never felt so sweaty afterward that I would have a problem going to work, or anywhere else. I think it all depends on what your body does, I have never been much of a sweater.

Don't go every day!:eek: Curves is toning all your muscles and they need a day between to recover. If you go every day you will probably not see the results that you hope and will get frustrated. Go 3X a week and work as hard as you can during those workouts. On your OFF day walk. You will see much better results.

Sometimes you hear of people doing weight training everyday but they are alternating up/lower body workouts. At Curves you do both every time you go.

Try to get a protein snack after you workout. It helps your muscles recouperate(I know that misspelled!).

Good luck what ever you do!

Go buy the book for $10... that will help you understand the philosophy behind Curves... don't go every day, that won't get you results any faster, it may actually hinder your progress. On your off days you should do some other form of cardio... of course, as with anything, the things you put in your mouth are going to be key to your success. I go to Curves with my mother and we really enjoy it... We used to always walk together, but really enjoy Curves just as much. It's a fun way to start the day... It's really great for keeping you moving, getting some activity into your lifestyle, etc... But you need more, you need the additional cardio and a clean diet... Walking to work is a great idea!! Mom and I walk to our local Curves just to get our heart rates up... I am a member of a large gym here as well, and really enjoy Curves SOOOO much more!!! good luck!!!!

As for sweating... Curves sells some great "wipes" that you can use after your workout, you can get info at Curves or in their publication they have at most of the locations.

Curves is awesome! I did it over a year ago, then stopped becuase I was hospitalized with a blood clot and had a lot of trouble regaining my lung capacity after, so I was very tired. However, I am sure curves would of helped, but I was stubborn. However, I went for about 9 months and did great. The people are wonderful, the place is air conditioned and the equiptment is the best. it is all resistant, so good for everyone. If there is one piece you cannot do for any reason, just step off and continue moving. Just make sure when you are on the boards, you keep moving and try to increase your difficulty level as you go. You will start seeing the change.

I hope to start back up there after my WLS in the begining of the year. :)

I just started Curves about a week and a half ago. I have much to lose, but as others posters said, it is more about toning up and getting fit. I don't ever expect to be the weight I was 20 years ago, but I do want to be healthy. My DH and I are thinking about renewing our vows on our upcoming cruise. I would love to do it in a fit, healthy body! Good luck and blessings to anyone "Curvin'"!!

Amanda:)

I just started Curves about a week and a half ago. I have much to lose, but as others posters said, it is more about toning up and getting fit. I don't ever expect to be the weight I was 20 years ago, but I do want to be healthy. My DH and I are thinking about renewing our vows on our upcoming cruise. I would love to do it in a fit, healthy body! Good luck and blessings to anyone "Curvin'"!!

Amanda:)

Congrats on renewing your vows. :D I think it's great that you're also committing to a healthier lifestyle at the same time! Good for you!

Sha

Archived