How soon is to soon?

Modawg1991

I'm a Carnival cruiser and I am looking at taking my family on the Caribbean Princess (our first not with Carnival) next October (2007). How soon is too soon to book? Princess has a great deal going on right now with a 4-category upgrade and $150 credit. Not being familiar with Princess, how often to they do “real” sales? It seems with Carnival you get a good sale prices (upgrades, etc.) about once a month and a kinda’ sale about once a week. Should I go ahead and book now or should I wait and hope something comes along better with a price drop? I know 17 months out is a long way, so that is why I am hesitant. Should I hope an equal or better sale comes along?

Thanks.

If you are wondering why October, we get a fall break with school the first full week of October every year. Its great with travel, especially cruise prices. We have already booked a Carnival cruise for this October.

Hello 1991...

We're going on our first Princess cruise..the Caribbean princess this Sep. Many times on Carnival, so a nice change I'm sure.

I think with any cruise, as soon as you have a date, know the ship, book it. If your t.a is like mine, if the price drops, then u can get $$ back or an upgrade. Esp. if you want a particular cabin. Some go fast. We just booked one yesterday for Sep of 07 to get a certain cabin with Royal...

WE're waiting to see if the Crown goes to certain ports in SEp...if they don't, we already have this one booked.

We're paying a great rate for this Sep...so I know the deals are out there for the Fall..cheapest time to cruise.

Actually, I didn't know they had cruises out for Oct. of next yr. already.

With Princess, most cruises are sold out and there are a few, but not many, "specials." Waiting for a price drop or a special rate on a cruise could very well be a long wait -- probably too long.

By booking early, you get the cabin you want. Then, if there are price drops (except for new booking specials), your TA will give those to you.

We booked our November 2007 cruise on April 1st. I don't believe there's any such think as booking too early. :)

I agree, I tried to book a cruise 14 months ahead and found the ship was fully booked.

Recently I booked for a cruise for Aug 2007,at least I know I am on it. I can cancel if something more attractive to me comes up. All the hype re Celebrity going to Australia sounded good, but proved to be less attractive than my cruise to the same area.

Just be sure that the agent you use does not charge you an "agency cancellation fee", two local agencies charge $300 pp if you cancel a booking, this in addition to charging a booking fee

Enjoy your cruise, there is no "wrong cruise line" . "wrong itinerary" or "wrong cabin cat" if it suits you it is "right". For instance I could have booked a 10 day cruise in a super luxury suite to Mexico , or for the same money an inside cabin for 31 day cruise to the Hawaii,South Seas,New Zealand and Australia.

I chose to book the 31 day "inside cabin" , no view, no balcony, no butler,"free champagne" etc but oh the the bliss of a 31 day cruise. Heavenly

We book as soon as the schedule becomes available. In fact we are booked on the Caribbean Princess for October 7, 2007. As soon as we can book our air, we will do that too as well as our pre-cruise hotel. Fortunately, we don't have to put the money up front right now except for the air if we do it on our own so we can still save, save, save.

My advice would be to book now, since cabins that have extra berths, particularly quads, book up fairly early. Any time prior to final payment, you can always change your booking if a better deal shows up. If we have a hurricane season anything like last year's, prices in October 2007 will be low so you might be able to work yourself into a better deal.

I like to book as far out as possible - and am often waiting for schedules to be released for future bookings.

I also like to keep one or two "open bookings" should somethng suddenly catch my attention (fancy).

Archived