Fair Winds in Kona

postalgrrl

I have read all the great reviews on the Fairwinds Snorkel trip and was wondering if anyone has ever had any trouble with the tenders?? I really want to do this snorkel trip. We are suppose to tender at 7:00am and Fairwinds leaves at 9:00am. The cost of the trip is non-refundable, unless you cancel more than 24 hours prior to the snorkel trip. I understand why Fairwinds has this policy, but I don't want to lose the money if tendering is going to be a problem. I plan to get up early to get tender tickets so we can be on one of the first tenders to shore. And I am going to call ahead and have a taxi waiting at the tender dock to take us to Fairwinds.

I had to kind of fudge when I dealt with Fairwinds. I wouldn't tell them where I was staying on the island when I booked our tour. They had already turned me down once, so on the advice of some board folks, I booked it without telling them I was on a ship. From reading these boards, noone has had any trouble ggetting there on time.

Are you getting travel insurance? If you are you may be covered for out of pocket losses if you are unable to get to a port (I know that Travelex will cover it). I've never put in a claim for this type of expense but they said it would be covered (since we're now doing a land vacation).

Carolyn

I had to kind of fudge when I dealt with Fairwinds. I wouldn't tell them where I was staying on the island when I booked our tour. They had already turned me down once, so on the advice of some board folks, I booked it without telling them I was on a ship. From reading these boards, noone has had any trouble ggetting there on time.

Were you on one of the first tenders off the ship?

No Worries- hand loose

just returned from POAM today

Book the Fairwinds! we did - it was great!

Boat arrives at 6:30 Am- get tender pasess at 7:15 Am in Mardi Gras Lounge- Deck 6 forward. No lines-easy of fthe ship- They use the lifeboats as the tenders;Tender will leave by 7:30- short ride to pier

Taxi's are at the pier- $20.00 to Fairwinds.

Takes 15-20 minutes- airwinds leaves at 9:00 Am.

We arrived at 8:00 Am at the Fairwinds-little early.

boat has a nice nice sun deck - relaxing fun day- 98 on our excursion, but plenty of room.

45 minute cruise to Kealakekua bay- snorkly for 2+ hours

nice lunch-

I booked Fairwinds online on hawaiantravelnetwork.com

no questions asked

I just checked that site, but found that they did ask where you're staying (although you can hedge like we do when we book direct and select "other"). They also wanted me to register (I'd rather not), and they have a 48 hour cancellation policy. For us, it's better to stay with our direct booking.

Just as an FYI for anyone booking directly with Fair Wind, you can get a 10% discount if you are a AAA member. As for where we're staying, we simply said that we didn't know yet and left it at that.

beachchick

Archived