Sea sickness on small Galapagos cruises?

MariahJ

Hello,

My husband and I are looking to take a Galapagos cruise on a small ship that holds about 100 people. We are looking at going with Peru Explorer. I know it won't be as luxurious as if we went with Celebrity or one of the other large lines, and I can deal with that. My concern is sea sickness. Although I've never been sea sick, I get motion sickness very easily. Dramamine makes me very sleepy, so it probably wouldn't be a good solution.

Does anyone have any experience with sea-sickness on smaller ships? Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated.

Mariah

Mariah,

We were on the Galapagos Explorer II in February. It was originally built for Renaissance in the early 90's and was one of their first ships, therefore it was very comfortable and it held a maximum of 100 passengers, there were 80 passengers when we were on it. We had a very large cabin with plenty of room.

The ships do not go far, in fact I would not really call it a cruise but more like being on a floating hotel as the distance between the islands is not huge and sometimes it only takes a couple of hours to go from one to another. Our ship and I think all of them, never tie up at a dock but are always anchored out from the islands even when getting supplies.

When we boarded at Baltra after arriving by plane, we were taken to the ship by zodiac and our luggage went the same way. It is a totally different experience to a cruise.

We had just done a 21 day cruise from Rio to Valpariso via Antarctica before going to the Galapagos so I could compare both. In the Galapagos, you are up early each day, out on the zodiacs at 8am, on a island for a couple of hours, back to the ship, lunch and then at 3pm out again onto another island until after 6pm. By the time dinner is served at 8pm, you are ready for bed. There is very little entertainment at night.

It was a wonderful experience, we met some great people and we had a lot of fun but it is very tiring and not for the faint hearted as there is quite a bit of walking in quite hot conditions as the islands are on the equator hence the early starts and late afternoon excursions. We were divided into groups of 12-15 with a naturalist on each excursion and we did learn such a lot, a once in a lifetime adventure.

Jennie

• 4 weeks later...

Though an avid cruiser, I get seasick on any size boat. I take Bonine before I get on the ship, one a day during the cruise, and continue for at least one day after getting off. Bonine is great because it doesn't have the same kind of drowsy effect as Dramamine and it's also only one pill per 24 hours. On a much larger ship, the QM2 for example, in calm waters, I just take 1/2 a pill a day. Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Hello Mariah,

We were in the Galapagos last May. Our ship, the Eclipse, was very small. There were only 44 passengers, very casual, and loads of fun. Our cruise was similiar to Aussie Gal. We would certainly go again. My best day was the one where we walked amongst the Blue Footed Boobies!

I also take Bonine now and then and have not had any side effects.

Hope you have a great trip.

Hello Mariah,

We were in the Galapagos last May. Our ship, the Eclipse, was very small. There were only 44 passengers, very casual, and loads of fun. Our cruise was similiar to Aussie Gal. We would certainly go again. My best day was the one where we walked amongst the Blue Footed Boobies!

I also take Bonine now and then and have not had any side effects.

Hope you have a great trip.

I have to agree with dudboom, our favourite morning was when we saw the Blue Footed Boobies! You have a treat in store. Here is a photo of them.

Jennie

BLUEFOOTEDBOOBIES.jpg

Archived