What's so bad about Naples?

I just told a friend that I was going to take an AM trip to Pompeii and spend the PM touring Naples. She made a horrible face and told me to avoid Naples at all costs suggesting Sorrento, Amalfi and Capri as alternatives. Does anybody else feel that way? :confused:

I just told a friend that I was going to take an AM trip to Pompeii and spend the PM touring Naples. She made a horrible face and told me to avoid Naples at all costs suggesting Sorrento, Amalfi and Capri as alternatives. Does anybody else feel that way? :confused:

I would have to agree. I would much rather spend time in the places you named than in Naples.

Your friend is absolutely correct.

Naples is not a tourist destination, it is the place you leave from to see other places.

Sorrento is doable, Capri is where everyone goes (I highly recommend it) and Amalfi is a jewel, but a little far from Naples and you need a whole day.

On the other hand, Naples is where the museum is located that has all the treasures from Pompeii. Naples is also where they invented pizza. There are other reasons to take a tour of Naples, if that interests you. This link can tell you more.

Lisa

Also, see Travel & Leisure's May issue, devoted to Europe. There is an article on Naples, wherein the author says: "Naples struck me immediately as among the few cities left in Europe with the power to intoxicate - a grand port that operates as though the earth were yet a sphere of wonders and itself the magnetic center."

I'm not sure I would wax that poetic about Naples, but some feel it has a certain appeal.

We were in Naples last June (Grand Princess) and while all our other friends were doing Pompeii and Amalfi coast. We decided to walk around Naples, sample some food (yes pizza) and some cannoli.We also walked to the waterfront and stopped off at a couple of hotels for a drink. This was a great day, the food and people were fantastic.Once up by the Galleria there is a pedestrian only street so you can walk and window shop without and auto's riding your behind.

I will also say this port ment alot to me since my Great grand parents sailed for the US. from here.

Tom

If you only have one day in Naples, then I agree with your friend .... the Amalfi Coast is spectacular.

If you are also going to Florence and Rome, both are wonderful cities and rather than exploring a 3rd Italian city, you might appreciate the more scenic areas south of Naples rather than the city itself.

Frommer's on-line is one of my favorite research travel sites ... here's what they have to say about Naples: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/naples/0058010001.html

We visited Naples last year. Because we only had an afternoon we decided to do something in the city rather than try to do Pompeii in a rushed manner. So we made our own up to the museum & gardens of San Martino, at the top of the city.

We made it, but I have to say that it was hard work. We saw few if any 'Tourist Information' signs, and we found when we used services like the Funicular that everything was written in italian only, there was no english.

San Martino itself was delightful; very pretty, with wonderful views. Also very quiet and peaceful! - which is unusual for Naples. Here's a link to a photo I took from San Martino:

http://www.*****/travelpage/aspgallery/pictures/Ad_1919_3.jpg

Our conclusion: Naples is scertainly a big, vibrant, bustling city - very alive, and could be fascinating. But I didn't feel that the neapolitans make many concessions to strangers.

If you only have one day in Naples, then I agree with your friend .... the Amalfi Coast is spectacular. QUOTE]That's my opinion too. I enjoyed Naples but would not rate it as highly as other options in the area. I speak some Italian, and we also found that Naples was not as tourist friendly as other places in Italy. If you go to Naples, you will need to watch out a lot for street crime (scooters driving by ripping purses off shoulders, etc.). I would not recommend spending a whole day in Naples during a port stop unless you really believe you have "been there done that" on all the other options in the area. On the other hand, the Amalfi Coast is spectacular. Hope you have a great time whatever you decide.

Donna

Kroosin-

I was so happy to see your post. We plan on doing exactly the same thing in October. Naples will be after two intense days of touring Florence and Rome, and the thought of a third day if all-day touring didn't seem like a good idea.

We plan on going to Pompeii, then making our way back to Naples to try pizza and I want to see if I can buy some real mozzarella, then go back to the ship and relax. Unfortunately we are in Naples on a Tuesday when most of the museums are closed, but I would have loved to see the Veiled Christ.

Depending on time we may look into a walking tour or the hop-on hop off bus. I found some good info at Tripadvisor from the Naples, Italy forum from local experts. Keep us posted on your plans!!!

:) Hi Mountainmare, We're planning on joining a family we met on the Roll Call board to take the train from Naples to Pompeii to Sorrento and the ferry back to Naples. It's our first day out so I think we should be up for the extra stop, if I were in your shoes on the third day I might reconsider Sorrento too. I know we're all going to have a fabulous time! :D

We thought Heruculaneum was wonderful. We've been to Naples for one day on a cruise 30 years ago and had a fun day wandering. This last trip, Naples was not like it was 30 years ago (of course!!!) but Herculaneum was such a short distance from Naples...Pompeii is too, for that matter! Other than wonderful ruins, you can't go wrong with Sorrento and the coast! Capri can be "iffy" if winds are high. Sadly going only to Naples would be like going only to San Pedro in California....Only worse!!!!

Have been researching Naples and will consider the Campania artcard.

For 13 euro this card includes free admission to two sites (including Pompeii and Herculaneum) and all land transportation in Naples and the surrounding area. I got the information when I ask for a Naples map from the Italian Tourist Board. On tripadvisor I asked about the card and people wrote back that it is valid for in city transportation and the railroad that goes to Pompeii and Sorrento. It says free use of public transportation, I'm assume that does not include the ferry system.

Anyway, doing the math..if you plan on taking the tram to the Circumvesuviana, then going to Pompeii, then going to Sorrento and maybe even seeing something else you are ahead of the game and you don't need to hassle with getting individual tickets. Tripadvisor people said that you can get art cards in the marine terminal where your ship docks, or at any ticket station in the city. (by the way the card is valid for three days).

Naples is not gorgeous by Amalfi / Capri / Sorrento standards; it is large, gritty, and earthy. That being said, it's real and very wonderful in its own way. It is also the birthplace of pizza - if you choose to spend the day there, you MUST sample the pizza. It's divine!!

Enjoy,

Sue

(whose beloved grandparents left Naples for NYC in 1918)

Archived