Stupid question about snorkeling

mbw1024

feel stupid even saying this but .. have never done it in my life. what do I need to know? my BF is not a great swimmer, is that a problem? and if I have a rental car on Grand Cayman should I have my own equpiment or rent it somewhere or something?

I have no clue obviously but think I should try it at least once!

thanks

If you're a decent to good swimmer, you can snorkel. There is an amazing world under the waves. Don't miss it. As a novice, go with a tour your first time or two. It's best to bring your own snorkel and mask. You want a good fit for the mask, and it's better hygiene to have your own snorkel. You can purchase a snorkel/mask set el cheapo, but you won't get a good mask fit or quality lens. The snorkel will not have a valve. It will be just a straight tube, so there's a good chance of getting a mouth full of water. Kids often prefer the straight tube as being more fun. BTW, do you require corrected vision lenses? You definitely shouldn't wear contacts under water, but being slightly nearsighted isn't a problem. Everything is magnified under water. Go to a dive shop and price good quality masks and snorkels. if you don't want to pay their price, then use the tour operator's equipment. That will be better than using a $20 Walmart set. Either way, familiarize yourself with the mask and snorkel in a swimming pool so you'll be more comfortable during the real thing. It's easy, and it won't take long. Even if you don't buy, stop at a dive shop and ask the sales guy to show you how to fit the mask. They won't mind.

thanks Stevesan! I actually was practicing in a pool today :) using my niece's mask - which filled with water ;) I am guessing that wasn't supposed to happen!

I will look around at prices and see what's what. I think I would like to try it.

If you've read any of the other posts about snorkeling, where I've posted, you'll quickly know I'm a Smith Cove fan and if youre a novice, this is a great place for you to go! Check out some of the other posts about snorkeling and theres lots of info there. Its great for kids, and beginners because the snorkeling is close to shore and easy water because of the cove.

Rick

I would like to buy a float vest for our next trip. Where should I start to look for one?

I got mine several years ago at a local dive shop, along with my other snorkel gear. If you want to see/try it before buying, check your local yellow pages for dive shops near your home.

thanks Stevesan! I actually was practicing in a pool today :) using my niece's mask - which filled with water ;) I am guessing that wasn't supposed to happen!

I will look around at prices and see what's what. I think I would like to try it.

That's what happens when it isn't properly fitted. As I said, a dive shop will show you how to be sure it fits. However, I'll try to describe it for you:

1) Place mask over nose and eyes, but don't fasten the strap. Allow it to hang free while holding the mask with the palm of you hand.

2) Breathe in thru your nose. The mask should adhere to your face. It will stay in place when you remove the support hand.

3) If step 3 fails, you'll need a different mask. This one doesn't fit the contours of your face. If the mask did adhere, go to step four.

4) Don the mask with the strap properly affixed. Be sure there's no hair between your face and the mask. Tighten the strap so it is fast, but not too tight. You want it to be comfortable.

5) Take a deep breath thru your nose. The mask will adhere - you'll feel the suction. If it doesn't, there is an obstruction between your face and the mask. Check those bangs. It's easy to get wet hair between your forehead and the mask without realizing it.

6) Go snorkeling!

Stevesans advice is quite good. I would add just one thing. Try the mask on while you have the snorkel in your mouth. The shape of your face changes when you have the snorkel in your mouth and a mask that did fit fairly well may no longer fit as well with the snorkel in your mouth.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you can actually have your mask too tight. It just needs a comfortable fit - if its too tight, then it can distort the seal around your face which then allows leakage.

Another thing you might want to pick up is a defogger. Some people recommend spitting in the mask, but that never worked for me. I use PSI500 which is great. Since you're a newbie, a defogger stops your mask from fogging up. There is nothing worse than trying to view the underwater world through a dreamy, foggy, view. :)

A note for men with moustaches or facial hair, I had to shave off my moustache in order to get a good seal with my mask. My wife gets to cruise with a mysterious man every year this way....lol

Rick

I've had a moustach for 25 years and really would llike to snorkel but do not want to shave it off. Does anyone have a suggestion how to do this?

Dave:rolleyes:

cruisin dave,

i also have a full beard and mustache, before diving, i simply make sure my mustache and beard are neatly trimmed. I have a quality mask that fits(see instructions above on how to get a good fit). my dive instructor advised me to carry a small tube of vasaline jell with me when diving.(to help repel water at the edges of the mask). my advise is if you snorkel often, buy a quality mask and snorkel.

I've had a moustach for 25 years and really would llike to snorkel but do not want to shave it off. Does anyone have a suggestion how to do this?

Dave:rolleyes:

I snorkel all the time without shaving off my moustach. I do trim it a little lower from my nose than usual, so there is a dash of skin between top of moustach and nose, and I have a mask with a valve that can be cleared easily under water to take care of minor leakage without going up and taking my mask off. These are common and have a valve at the bottom. You look vertically, hold the mask tight and breath out through your nose forcing the water out through the valve. Most dive ships or on-line dive stores have quite a few of these.

If you are sure you will continue snorkling, by all means buy your own mask. However, if you do it only rarely you really won't have any problem with the sets you rent or use on snorkling tours. Do try them on for fit before you get in the water and get everything adjusted though! I wouldn't buy a set if you've never gone because when we first went we found out that my husband, who is a great swimmer, was too claustrophobic to wear the mask no matter how hard he tried. My daughter, also a fish of a swimmer, tolerated the mask, but was afraid of the coral and fish! I am a pathetic swimmer, but was the one who turned out to love snorkling (and I feel more relaxed if I wear a vest).

we just returned from our cruise and what a great time we 3 beginner snorkelers (my husband and 9 yo daughter) had. I found out on the boards about cemetary reef. It was fabulous. We went to Academy and bought snorkle sets for @$19 then practiced in our neighborhood pool. Before you leave the ship get a gal. size ziplock and fill it with ice. put it in your soft sided cooler from the $1 store. Most of the snorkel sets came in mesh bags but if not buy one from walmart for $5. Go to Walgreens and find a blanket called Neat Sheet $8. It repels sand and water. After you get off the cruise ship, go out to the street and you will see a line of cabs. Its $15. per cab to go to Cemetary Reef. It is at a cemetary. There are port a potties there but nothing else. we found travel size charmin at the grocery store before we left home and was glad we had it. We ate a big breakfast and took our ice and one lg. bottle of water with us. We did not bother with buying a lunch because time is so short when you want to spend it having fun. On the way back we caught the bus. It was $2 each. Our taxi driver told us to leave and head back at @ 1:00pm instead of 2:00pm like we thought thinking it would give us plenty of time and we were glad we took her advice. The traffic is bad heading back to the port.

The water is beautiful, only 30 to 50 people at the most at this huge beach. We had a 1ft. white fish swim within 3 ft. of shore. We swam and swam and saw the most incredible fish. Yellow and white striped, purple with orange trim,little yellow and purple. It was unbelievable and we plan to visit this island again. Sorry so long but it was wonderful and I was so glad that I had read about it on this board. My husband was quite impressed with the results of all the research.

Archived