Funchal 2007

woolliehead

Hi there,

Is there anybody who has taken the cruise from Australia to the Great Britain on the funchal in the past couple of years, if there is, I would love to hear your comments.

We are thinking of taking the cruise to the U.K. we have booked but not yet paid a deposit as the only cabins which were available are on the promenade deck.

I would appreciate it if anybody could enlighten me on the Funchal.

Many thanks.

Hi Woolliehead, Yep, we have taken two cruises on the Funchal so far, and have booked a third one. The first was 12 nights Fremantle to Bali and back in February 2005, the second Athens to Fremantle last Nov/Dec. The trouble was that the ship had engine trouble one week into the five week cruise. She stayed in Safaga, Egypt for nearly three weeks, getting the engine repaired, then continued on to Fremantle, arriving 4 weeks later than the original date. We couldn't stay that long (had to be home for Christmas), but we stayed on board and enjoyed what the Funchal had to offer in Egypt for about 2 weeks, then flew home. So, we missed out on all the Asian ports. We have booked the identical Athens to Fremantle cruise this Nov/Dec., hoping to get to Colombo, Phuket, Singapore etc. this time.

We had an inside cabin on Madeira deck each time and have booked that category again. Good, basic cabin. Loved the food, the activities, the entertainment, the staff, and the size of the ship, also the value for money.

Hope this helps you. Any more questions, just ask.

Regards, Matilda.

PS I did hear that the Fremantle to UK or wherever she went, trip this year was a bit rough at times.

Hi Wooliehead

Kevin and I just got back from the freo to Uk trip and yes it was brilliant, food A1, I have posted another reply in to the other funchal thread. we had smooth seas nearly all the way, had to diver to bali coz of cyclone Ffloyd but rest of the journey was perfect. Shore excursions you need to seriously look a t hope we can be of help there. We were on Maderia deck outside cabin #78, cabin was fine, I would not go any lower, not sure of Cabins on Promenade deck, ours wqas cat 7 and very ok

Check other thread for more info.

Denise and Kevin

PS we are still looking at brochure for 2007 and thinking maybe, just have to work 24/7 again.

PPS You will not regret doing this cruise.

Hi Denise and Kevin,

Thank you so much for posting your notes on the board, we went ahead and put down the deposit and I must admit I was getting cold feet, just wondering what the ship was like etc. It has put my mind at ease and all we have got to do now is work and save to pay for this trip of a lifetime.

Many thanks

Hi Wooliehead,

You will not ever regret going on the Funchal!! She is the most beautiful ship! Amenities are great, as well as the staff and entertainment. Just be careful with the excursions you book. Do your homework and save lots of dollars doing your own thing. The Funchal is a grand old lady, and I am sure you will fall in love with her fairly quickly. Sit back, enjoy the passing scenery, have a swim in the pool, and grab a cocktail in the Porto Bar!!!! Cruise well!!!!!

Have a wonderful time and get wonderful memories, First Cruise

• 3 weeks later...

Hi First Cruise,

Thanks for your reply, I am a novice at this message board hence the delay in replying to you. I have started researching the stops we are going to have on our trip to the U.K. I am looking forward to the cruise first, and the stops at Eygpt and Athens, I am not really interested in the shopping etc., been there done that, but I will take home trinkets from almost every port.

This will be our third cruise, we have been on the Virgo which was absolutely first class, and then just recently in March we were on the Pacific Sky which was not so good.. I think the reason behind this was mainly because of some of the staff were not interested, they obviously knew the ship had been sold and had lost interest. But cannot wait for the trip on the Funchal.

Regards Woolliehead.:)

Hi Woolliehead,

Hope you have a great cruise on board the Funchal, she is a lovely ship and you will have a great time. I still think of her as "home" and I can remember her smell (that sounds really strange I know, but she does have her own special way about her). When I am having a shower, if I close my eyes, I can still feel the movement of the ship, which I find amazing. I think I am homesick for the Funchal.

We are going on the Pacific Sun next March for a short cruise which we are really looking forward to, but I would cancel everything if we could go on the Funchal at the same time again..............she is that special.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise and have lots of fun, First Cruise

Hi First Cruise,

Was the Funchal your first cruise? If so, I wonder if all the first cruises feel so special. As I mentioned the Virgo was magnificent, but having said that I am not expecting the Funchal to be as luxurious as the Virgo, I just want to be able to relax and chill out!

I am sure you will enjoy the Pacific Sun, I have spoken to other friends that have been on this ship and they have all had a great time.

Regards Woolliehead:)

Hi Woolliehead,

Yes, the Funchal was our first cruise, fairly ambitious going on a 35 night cruise the first time though!! The Funchal is not luxurious, but she is beautiful and you will be delighted with everything on board!!

We are really looking forward to our next cruise................cannot wait really!!

Have fun, First Cruise

:)Hi First Cruise,

I have been told that the Funchal is not luxurious, but is homely, comfortable and friendly and that is all I need so I will count down the months, weeks and days until the big day we set sail. I feel sure that I will have a great relaxing holiday.

Many thanks,

Wooliehead

Archived