Teenager Clothing - Main Dining Room

We will be traveling on the Mariner of the Seas in 2 weeks.

I have a 14 year old that does not wear pants. He seldom wears jeans, let alone dress pants. He has agreed to wear a tux on the formal nights but I don't think I can get him in pants the other nights.

However, because he will be with friends during the day, we want to have a family dinner in the main dining room.

From what I read, it appears that the dress code is not strictly enforced.

I know that I will be flamed but I hope this is true. I just don't understand why he shouldn't be allowed to eat in the dining room if he is well groomed and in nice clothing.

I know on all of our previous cruises the 1st and last night was 'casual' and many were in shorts.

Please share your thoughts and opinions.

I'll probably get flamed along with you, but I think he's o.k. If he is willing to dress on formal nights I think that is a good compromise. I have 2 teenage boys who don't mind dressing every evening, but they are quick to point out when they see others who are more casual. I usually get "See Mom, we could have worn shorts". Maybe you can do buffet on a really casual night when none of you feel like "dressing". JMHO

Missyal

No flames, he's 14 years old, if you want him to have dinner with you, and want him to wear pants, just tell him he has to wear pants. Don't give him another option. If it isn't that important to you, then don't sweat it. He will be out of place compared to most, but not all, and if you're okay with that, then what does anyone elses opinion matter? My kid would wear slacks, and a nice button up shirt, reasonably close to the "suggested" dress and that would be that. Forgot to mention almost, there's a slim, very slim possibility that he will be turned away by the maitre d', if you decide to let him wear shorts, be prepared for that, that's all, it isn't likely to happen, but could.

At 14 he is way beyond old enough to dress appropriately for certain events and occasions. Buy him some pants, explain the situation and then if he doesn't want to wear them, he can go somewhere other than the dining room to eat. Either that or put your foot down and remind him who is the parent. He'll thank you later for teaching him some social graces.

You're right - I am the parent and he is a good looking and well dressed kid whether he is in shorts, jeans, whatever.

When I eat, I could care less what people are wearing if they are decent, clean and well groomed. I like to dress up and go to the finest dining establishments but have never even noticed what most people are wearing unless it is way out there.

What does bother me, which there are never any 'guidelines' for, is people who are loud, crying babies, etc. And, there will be more than plenty of those. Those actions upset my dinner, someone in nice shorts and a polo does not.

I have told him no t-shirts or flip flops in the dining rooms even on the 1st night and the last night when most people (on ALL of the previous cruises I have been on) are in shorts.

People who want to set themselves apart should eat at one of the 'reservations only' options. Even then, the problem of loud people and crying babies will still disrupt dinner.

His choice of shorts doesn't bother me. I don't like things on my legs either but since I am a female, I have the choice of a skirt. Other than my dress clothes for work, I don't wear pants and only own 1 pair of jeans. In the summer I wear summer dresses and skorts and you will NEVER find me in pants. But, then again, I am female and have that option. Men do not. Ooh - I wonder how that would go over...him wearing a skirt to fall into 'guidelines'?

Honestly my dining experiences on cruises has not included loud people and crying babies. You also will not hear any babies in the Specialty Restaurants, since you are supposed to be over 13 to eat there. Put the kid in some decent clothes. He can change after dinner and he might enjoy it.

Look at this as a good way to show him that there will be times that he will have to wear things he doesn't like. I didn't want to wear pants on the cruise either, but was able to wear skirts and dresses like you can. I just think he may feel very out of place in shorts in a formal dining room and it's quite possible that they won't allow him in wearing shorts. My advice would be to get him a pair or two of dress pants (don't know how long your cruise is) and have him wear those for dinner. Then he can change right after dinner.

I know what it's like with teenage boys and their clothes. My younger brother (almost 20) didn't want to wear denim for years in shorts or jeans form. He would wear workout pants or khakis unless he had to wear jeans. So I know it's hard to get him to wear clothes that are according to the dress code, but it's only for a couple hours and if he knows that you're willing to dress appropriately, maybe he'll be more likely to go along with it.

Good luck and have a wonderful time, no matter what he wears!

You're right - I am the parent and he is a good looking and well dressed kid whether he is in shorts, jeans, whatever.

People who want to set themselves apart should eat at one of the 'reservations only' options. Even then, the problem of loud people and crying babies will still disrupt dinner.

Why did you ask if you did not want opinions?:confused:

Why should I have to go the Specialty Restaurant to "set myself apart"? Geez. :rolleyes:

If poorly behaving adults or children are disrupting my dinner, I will find the dining room manager and ask them to handle the situation. What in the world does this have to do with shorts?

If this is the example you choose to set for your teenager, so be it. But do not look here for justification or approval.

If this is the example you choose to set for your teenager, so be it. But do not look here for justification or approval.

I agree.

I think it's important to respect guidelines/rules/laws, especially when they were clear to begin with (and you did approve them if you booked a cruise knowing all that). If the cruiseline didn't mind nice shorts, they would allow it but they are looking for another type of atmosphere in the dinning rooms. 2 pairs of kakis would be enough. Have you thought about the kind that can be unzipped above the knee to make shorts when he is done with dinner?

If someone was sending you a wedding invitation stating semi-formal clothing recommended, would you really let your kid wear shorts?

There is a time and places for bathing suit, shorts, slacks, and suits. GREAT if he's going for the tuxedo on formal night, I'm sure it will make him feel special. Wearing appropriate pants for dinner on other nights would teach him to dress up a bit for a special occasion.

To the OP....on my previous 11 cruises most of the people were NOT wearing shorts on the first or last night. There were a few on the first night and I think that people take advantage of the opportunity to wear them. We have always packed appropriate clothing in our carry ons and have ALWAYS had our luggage in plenty of time for dinner.

There will be a small percentage of men wearing shorts here and there in the dining room but the majority of men, women and children will dress appropriately.

I look for the day when they either change the dress code or do away with it. If they do away with it then the posts will read....Why can't I wear my bathing suit to dinner....I don't have time to change from the pool or beach. Or....Can my teenager wear sleep pants to dinner...he wears them all the time at home and doesn't like shorts. :D

Cindy ;)

This is a great time to teach that there is a time and place for almost everything. The dining room at dinner is a place for long pants. I'm sure your son looks nice in shorts, many of the other passengers do to. But there are rules for a reason and the dining room has a certain decorum for dinner. If he insists on wearing shorts for dinner, I think the pizzaria would be appropriate.

Employers wonder why they cannot get teenagers who will even dress properly for job interviews, and then if they get hired, show the proper respect for customers, etc. When they are children is a good time to begin teaching this, but it is never too late!

It's one week is it going to kill them to dress nice for what a couple hours a day. I have a 17dd and 20ds (very nice looking I might add) that have gone on plenty vacations. They both are A&F,hollister,AE dressers everyday,flip flops shorts,low jeans,Tshirts,ect. On vacation(land or cruise)they know on formal night your formal on the rest you are not wearing your everyday wear. They deal with it and still have a good time.Usually changing clothes right after dinner but that's okay.

Just because they don't want to not a good enough reason in my book.

Of course that is my opinion and my children;) .

The suggested dress is suggestes for all ages. No shorts. Why can't he put on a pair of pants for the hour and a half or two hours he'll be at dinner? It's not like you're telling him he's got to wear them all day every day.

If he refuses to wear pants, show him where the Windjammer is.

When I eat, I could care less what people are wearing if they are decent, clean and well groomed. I like to dress up and go to the finest dining establishments but have never even noticed what most people are wearing unless it is way out there.

Ah, but the reason we wear nicer clothes when dining isn't just to be comfortable yourself - it is to show respect for your fellow passengers/diners. By dressing appropriately you show that you have the grace and tact to want other people who have an enjoyable dining experience - not to look out for your own interests first. Whether or not YOU care what other are people are wearing is irrelevant. It's about whether or not your or your actions are causing disturbances to OTHER people.

I have told him no t-shirts or flip flops in the dining rooms even on the 1st night and the last night when most people (on ALL of the previous cruises I have been on) are in shorts.

On my previous RCI cruise I saw no one in shorts in the dining room, on any night. Nor did I hear a single crying baby, nor were any tables louder than was appropriate. We were on a Hawai'i cruise and there were PLENTY of people who spent most of their day in shorts or sleeveless tops, but the vast, vast majority of people followed the guidelines set by RCI. I did not notice a difference from the younger and the older cruisers, either. For the record, during that cruise I was 26.

No flames, he's 14 years old, if you want him to have dinner with you, and want him to wear pants, just tell him he has to wear pants. Don't give him another option. If it isn't that important to you, then don't sweat it.
I agree. I have a 12-year old daughter whose idea of fashion doesn't necessarily mesh with mine; she's anti-dress, only accepts skirts when absolutely necessary, and is seldom seen without denim of some sort. She'd just as soon drink acid as wear ruffles, lace, or accessories -- heels, don't even talk about them.

She and I have an understanding though: The great majority of the time she's allowed to wear what she wants (she doesn't have any clothing that I'd consider too revealing or age-inappropriate, so we're just talking about too casual). I reserve the right to insist that she dress up for certain occasions that I consider important; for those occasions she wears what I expect. I won't complain that she has worn the same old, ratty jeans to school every day this year, and she won't complain about dressing up for church each week.

For the cruise, I do consider dinner to be important. She accepts that she will attend dinner with the family every night, and she will wear what I deem appropriate. That's about 2 hours each day. The rest of the time she's allowed to wear her shorts, swimmies, whatever she chooses.

This is a good time for him to learn that there are rules in life and just because he doesn't agree with them doesn't mean he gets to ignore them.

If you ignore the rules you aren't sending your 14 year old son a very good message.

If he will not wear long pants, there are other dining options.

Honestly my dining experiences on cruises has not included loud people and crying babies. You also will not hear any babies in the Specialty Restaurants, since you are supposed to be over 13 to eat there. Put the kid in some decent clothes. He can change after dinner and he might enjoy it.

Great new photo Nancy!

On my Serenade of the Seas cruise in March, my dining table was near the entrance to the dining room. I saw the maitre'd turning people away who attempted to enter the dining room in shorts.

Ah, but the reason we wear nicer clothes when dining isn't just to be comfortable yourself - it is to show respect for your fellow passengers/diners. By dressing appropriately you show that you have the grace and tact to want other people who have an enjoyable dining experience - not to look out for your own interests first. Whether or not YOU care what other are people are wearing is irrelevant. It's about whether or not your or your actions are causing disturbances to OTHER people.

Very well said, the whole point is respect.

And why are parents letting their children tell them what they are going to wear, it should be the parents telling the children.

I have 4 kids 12, 19, 20 & 25 and they don't dress the best BUT when we go to a nice resturant or dinner on a cruise than they know what i expect out of them and how to respect others and i always get complements on how nice they look.

We will be traveling on the Mariner of the Seas in 2 weeks.

I have a 14 year old that does not wear pants. He seldom wears jeans, let alone dress pants. He has agreed to wear a tux on the formal nights but I don't think I can get him in pants the other nights.

However, because he will be with friends during the day, we want to have a family dinner in the main dining room.

From what I read, it appears that the dress code is not strictly enforced.

I know that I will be flamed but I hope this is true. I just don't understand why he shouldn't be allowed to eat in the dining room if he is well groomed and in nice clothing.

I know on all of our previous cruises the 1st and last night was 'casual' and many were in shorts.

Please share your thoughts and opinions.

#1. Who's the parent here? "He has agreed to wear a tux on the formal nights but I don't think I can get him in pants the other nights." You're paying the money for him to go on a nice cruise with you and yet he's running the show, saying what he will and will not wear? I don't think so! My son is 19 and is a VERY casual dresser, but still knows what is appropriate clothing for certain events. He wouldn't wear a shirt and tie to play basketball and he wouldn't wear shorts and a t-shirt to a funeral. If he's 14, he's old enough to understand that and still young enough for you to enforce it.

#2. Why did you ask for our "thoughts and opinions" if you weren't going to listen to them anyway? What you really want is for everyone to say, "sure, that's fine, he's only 14, let him do what he wants..." but I don't think you'll get that from the majority of people here...I think it's time for him to learn it's not all about him...

Just my 2 cents worth...not sure why I bothered...:rolleyes:

If he refuses to dress for dinner, he's old enough to stay in the cabin or dine in the buffet. Call it the cost of cruising...

And I haven't seen anyone in shorts at dinner in the dining rooms either...

Archived