Formal Night = When?

Beehive

How can I find out which night will be formal night on the NCL Majesty from Boston to Bermuda sailing 6/25? Is it always the same night of the week?

I will guess Monday night since formal night is, most of the time, on the first sea day. Formal night is optional with NCL.

How can I find out which night will be formal night on the NCL Majesty from Boston to Bermuda sailing 6/25? Is it always the same night of the week?

Hi. I'm sorry that I don't have the answer, but I do have a genuine curiosity which leads me to :

Why does it matter? Can you do something differently depending on when it is? (this isn't a jab....I'm really asking)

I "think" that formal night is usually first full sea day, but I'm not 100% sure since the thing I like most about Freestyle cruising, is not having to dress up.

Cheers,

stephen

i was just in the norwegian spirit and they always provide us with freestyle daily-listing of activities. it is ussually posted in the top front headlines what the theme of the dinner would be for the night. for us, it was monday and friday.

mike:)

I was asking as there are 16 members of our family going on this cruise from ages6 to 65, and getting them rounded up will be a task, so I was trying to prepare them all for which night!

Thanks for your help everyone!

The thing to remember that all formal nights on all NCL ships are OPTIONAL. You do not have to dress up. In fact only about 40% of the passengers will dress up and that will range from tuxes to shirt and tie. You can wear resort casual to every meal in every dining room on every night.

But to answer the question: On NCL cruises of 7 days or less there is one optional formal night. On cruises of 8 or more days, there are usually two.

On all the NCL ships, for cruises about a week long, there's only one "optional" formal night. It's usually occurs on the first at sea day.

Since the Majesty leaves Boston on a Sunday, it'll occur on Monday night.

Later this fall, when the Majesty leaves Charleston on a Saturday, it'll occur on Sunday night.

About the only exceptions to the first at sea day are ships sailing from Honolulu. The ships sailing a 7 day itinerary don't have an at sea day, but will have an "optional" formal night. I have no idea which night is optional formal on them.

Here is my take on it....

Yes, I think that it has been published enough that NCL is a casual ship and the formal night is optional. But for me, I really enjoy formal night and I think that what freestyle is all about. Since I love formal nights, and NCL has set aside a night for formal dress (for thoes who wish to), the day does become important.

It is nice to know in advance so that when you board you can make a hair appt if you want. If it is on a port day, you may schedule your excursions to get back in time to dress formal, which does take more time.... I can go on and on why it is helpful to know.... Not to mention for us who like formals, it is something weeks prior to the cruise to look forward to and knowing that day makes it all the more fun.

There does seem to be however this underlying attitude when anyone asks about formal night, almost to the point of discouraging formal dress. The post in reference did have the tone....."what do you care"... We all choose independently to freestyle in a manner that fits our interests and desires and formal night is no exception.

Here is my take on it....

Yes, I think that it has been published enough that NCL is a casual ship and the formal night is optional. But for me, I really enjoy formal night and I think that what freestyle is all about. Since I love formal nights, and NCL has set aside a night for formal dress (for thoes who wish to), the day does become important.

It is nice to know in advance so that when you board you can make a hair appt if you want. If it is on a port day, you may schedule your excursions to get back in time to dress formal, which does take more time.... I can go on and on why it is helpful to know.... Not to mention for us who like formals, it is something weeks prior to the cruise to look forward to and knowing that day makes it all the more fun.

There does seem to be however this underlying attitude when anyone asks about formal night, almost to the point of discouraging formal dress. The post in reference did have the tone....."what do you care"... We all choose independently to freestyle in a manner that fits our interests and desires and formal night is no exception.

THIS post completely answers my question, and I thank you for it. Hair is something that never occurred to me...I imagine that's something women are more likely to do (and I don't cruise with any women) so I haven't been exposed to the idea.

I agree that if we opted to, we could freestyle in suits & ties EVERY day, if we so chose. That's the whole idea....you do what YOU want, and I do what I want. That's what's so great about it.

What I was confused about was what the impact would be whether it was Tuesday, or Wednesday....and I guess ultimately it doesn't...what really matters (based on your reply) is shore-day or sea-day (so I DID answer the question in my original reply).

Thanks for the coherent, non-accustative reply.

Stephen

WOW!!!!

Never expected this to happen! Since I started this, I guess I should respond...I didn't find the answer rude, but took it more as a legitimate question.

My husband and I happen to enjoy formal night, but some of our kids don't, and the grandchildren don't know what it is, so I thought it would be fun for them to experience it on their first cruise!

Yes, there's the "hair" thing, but I also wanted to talk to the photographers about getting a few group pictures (of the 16 of us) dressed up and ready to party, and I know that will be difficult to arrange on formal night!

We like the idea of freestyle, especially with our large group, but our age group also likes formal night...my morhter's age group went formal EVERY NIGHT when she cruised!

Everyone have fun, and lighten up a little...thanks for all the input!

Bobbie

WOW!!!!

Never expected this to happen! Since I started this, I guess I should respond...I didn't find the answer rude, but took it more as a legitimate question.

My husband and I happen to enjoy formal night, but some of our kids don't, and the grandchildren don't know what it is, so I thought it would be fun for them to experience it on their first cruise!

Yes, there's the "hair" thing, but I also wanted to talk to the photographers about getting a few group pictures (of the 16 of us) dressed up and ready to party, and I know that will be difficult to arrange on formal night!

We like the idea of freestyle, especially with our large group, but our age group also likes formal night...my morhter's age group went formal EVERY NIGHT when she cruised!

Everyone have fun, and lighten up a little...thanks for all the input!

Bobbie

Sounds like you're going to have a blast! Thanks for the reply!

Stephen

Archived