Formal night on Diamond?

conchqn

Does anyone know what night is formal on Alaska cruise? Also, is the food in the dining room that night worth packing the suit, shoes etc. required? Without a suit, would we have only the buffet as a choice? Thanks, Pat

Buffet is always an option, but I have started to rent a tux through the cruise ship for formal nights. One less thing to pack. It is in your room when you arrive and give it back when you are done.

Without a suit, room service and buffet are your choices.

Yes, you'll hear from lots of people who have seen people in dining rooms on formal night without a suit -- I've seen it myself -- but it's not appropriate. Either pack the suit or rent the tux. You'll feel better about yourself and you'll have more dining options.

We've just returned from cruising on the Diamond Princess and were surprised to see that there were often men dining in lounge suits. I am trying to convince my husband that he would be able to manage without his tux if/when we cruise again.

Anne, how was dinner on formal night? Was it lobster and if so, was it worth packing all the dress clothes for? The last cruise I was on, the lobster was so bad it definitely would not have been a big loss to skip formal night. Thanks, Pat

We were also on the Diamond with Anne and Alan. Hi Anne! We had four (yes I said four) formal nights. The last one was lobster and it was the best lobster I have ever had. I'm not a big lobster fan, but I am glad I ordered it that night.

I don't think I'd ever dress up specifically for lobster as it's not my thing. However, I know people who had it on that formal night and thought it to be delicious.

Hi there Stacey and Wally - what a great cruise that was eh! I still haven't come down to ground!

We've just returned from cruising on the Diamond Princess and were surprised to see that there were often men dining in lounge suits.
Anne. Pardon my ignorance. What is a lounge suit?:confused:

Are you teasing me?

definition of a lounge suit~

Noun 1. lounge suit - a business suit consisting of a matching jacket and skirt or trousers

two-piece, two-piece suit

business suit - a suit of clothes traditionally worn by businessmen.

Basically, a lounge suit is the suit that a man would wear to work (if he was a 'white collar' worker.) Personally all my family....ie husband, father and brothers were all engineers/toolmakers and were therefore 'blue collar' workers and the lounge suit only came out for weddings, funerals and christenings.

We now have in the wardrobe - a dress suit or dinner suit (in USA it would be known as a tuxedo) but as I previously posted - this was not always worn to dinner on the cruise that we have just been on. I found that there was often an occasion when a man wore a lounge suite with an ordinary tie and looked very smart.

Anne and Cactusrose,

I'm happy to hear you both had a nice trip!! Please post reviews so those of us us still waiting can hear all the details. My cruise on the Diamond is in less than three weeks, I'm having trouble focusing on anything else!!

Archived