Tipping for drinks

beobopus

I have read that when you purchase drinks they add a 15% tip. But on the website for NCL they suggest tipping 15% see below. I'm confussed.

"For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent."

The 15% TIP IS AUTOMATICALLY ADDED. But you can always add an additional tip if you wish. there is a line for that on the receipt. Be sure to cross it off if you don't want to add any more of a tip.:)

The 15% TIP IS AUTOMATICALLY ADDED. But you can always add an additional tip if you wish. there is a line for that on the receipt. Be sure to cross it off if you don't want to add any more of a tip.:)

Funny, they don't tell you that on their site but they recommend you tip on top of a tip

Funny, they don't tell you that on their site but they recommend you tip on top of a tip

Really? Here's exactly what the NCL web site states:

What about Tipping?

SERVICE CHARGE

A fixed service charge of $10 per person, per day will be added to your onboard account. For children ages 3-12, a $5 per person per day charge will be added to your onboard account; there is no charge for children under the age of three. Our crew is encouraged to work together as a service team and is compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that the service charge supports.

GRATUITIES

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on NCL America or Norwegian Cruise Line ships. Guests should not feel obliged to offer a gratuity for service that is generally rendered to all guests.

However, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile", and so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities entirely at the discretion of our guests who wish to acknowledge particular staff members for exceptional or outstanding service. In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals.

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

Personnally, I didn't feel an obligation to tip on top of the 15% automatic gratuity but, many times, I added about .50$ to the bill, not more than that though since there was already about .75$ gratuity.

Thanks for the post Electricron! That last sentence is still clear as mud.

It's weird the number of threads there are for tipping. Some people don't even think there should be any which doesn't make sense to me, but, hey, that's JMO.

We like to tip cash above the 15% for the people who give extra service. But I don't know if they get to keep all of it or if they have to share that too. Does anyone know?

We have been really fortunate to have great cabin stewards and every ship has some very good bartenders. We haven't been so fortunate with our waiters but none have been bad and some have been very good.

My advice to those who question tipping is that your cruise will be more fun if you don't worry about it and tip where you think is appropriate.

the first 15% is actually a service charge which they use to inflate prices.

One wonders why people post nonsense like this. The first 15% is a gratuity for the server. If you choose to tip more, you can. For example, for a $5 drink the automatic tip added would be 75 cents. Some people would never tip less than $1 to have a drink served them. They could then choose to add something appropriate to the 15% that's already been added automatically.

Why people continue to whine over this great convenience and portray it as if NCL is "pulling a fast one" (that's a quote from someone in one of these threads) is beyond me.

Thank you hotspur...these statement of "facts" do nothing to add to the thread. All they do is confuse the issue with misinformation.

To the OP...the suggested tip of 15% has always been automatically added to the bar service receipt. NCL statement is confusing because it is a little incorrect. But, I think most of that information has not been editted in years.

PE

I with cmdchiefthom... although "not required" to tip more, we usually do as service generally is quicker once they realize they're receiving an additional gratuity for making sure we don't get thirsty:D . I look at it this way... we're on our vacation and we want to be waited on "hand and foot" and are willing to pay for it... we want to relax! If paying an additional tip brings that result... then so be it... it's in the budget when we plan our cruises. If someone has a problem paying an addtional amount for NCL staff members "going the extra mile" then they are under no pressure to do so (thanks electicron). Just don't "flame" the NCL staff for paying more attention to those of us who reward them for their exceptional service.

One wonders why people post nonsense like this. The first 15% is a gratuity for the server. If you choose to tip more, you can. For example, for a $5 drink the automatic tip added would be 75 cents. Some people would never tip less than $1 to have a drink served them. They could then choose to add something appropriate to the 15% that's already been added automatically.

Why people continue to whine over this great convenience and portray it as if NCL is "pulling a fast one" (that's a quote from someone in one of these threads) is beyond me.

Wondering why NCL suggests a 15% gratuity for bar drinks when they automatically include this on their bills is not nonsense especailly considering they don't state this in their policy. I only know this through these posts. If I had never read these posts I don't know if I would have caught this & would have been tipping on top of the 15%. I don't know about you but I work very hard for my money & I don't have any to burn altough I thank you for doing all the math.

I don't know about others, but when I receive my receipt I review it before signing it... it clearly shows that a 15% gratuity has been added. If I wish to add an additional amount for fast/courteous service, then I do... It's like going to a resturant with a group of 8 or more people. A 15% gratuity is automatically added to the bill... If in Europe, most service-related venders automatically add the gratuity to the bill. Publishing this information where people can see it is generally done but for the most part it becomes known through experience or via venues like this. CC posters do a great job in keeping the community well informed on what's happening and I for one thank them all:D

Wondering why NCL suggests a 15% gratuity for bar drinks when they automatically include this on their bills is not nonsense especailly considering they don't state this in their policy. I only know this through these posts. If I had never read these posts I don't know if I would have caught this & would have been tipping on top of the 15%. I don't know about you but I work very hard for my money & I don't have any to burn altough I thank you for doing all the math.

I never questioned the issue you raised in your original posting. It's good that you asked and the experienced NCL cruisers here gave you the correct answer. But the snide accusation that "the first 15% is actually a service charge which they [NCL] use to inflate prices" was uncalled-for and simply inaccurate, and that's what I pointed out as "nonsense."

I suspect a major reason for NCL adding this 15% to bar bills is to ensure that their bar staff is tipped appropriately. They, too, "work very hard for their money"--what little they make--and having a 15% gratuity added automatically makes it a lot more difficult for passengers to stiff them.

I have a question. I have no problem tipping above and beyond but I want to know, should I tip right away or wait till the end of the cruise and put something extra in an envelope? Say the cabin steward brings me more towels, do I hand them a tip? I'm probably making a big deal out of a small thing but I want to do the right thing.

I have a question. I have no problem tipping above and beyond but I want to know, should I tip right away or wait till the end of the cruise and put something extra in an envelope? Say the cabin steward brings me more towels, do I hand them a tip? I'm probably making a big deal out of a small thing but I want to do the right thing.

We always tip at the end, I think it's the most common practice. Some like to provide a partial tip up front, kinda of an "added incentive program", since they can assume if they provide great service, there's more where that came from!

Some additional thoughts on tipping the bar wait staff:

1. Since the bar waitstaff does not appear to be in the general tip pool, I like having the tip added to each bill, as I prefer just getting the bill, signing it, and be done with it. Since it is not uncommon to have different waitstaff throughout the evening in a lounge, it's an administrative way to fairly distribute tips, and a convenience to the guest IMO.

2. In the event you have a problem with a waitperson, I trust NCL would allow you to credit your account for the tip assessment. In general, NCL wants to hear about any problems or concerns up front so they have an opportunity to correct the matter. If the manager on duty doesn't take care of it, you could bring the problem to the main desk.

3. Though we generally stay with the added 15%, there are times we want to add a little more. If we have the same waitperson for each drink, I'll add a larger sum at the end. If it's a specific thing we'd like to acknowledge, I'll add it to that one bill, in hopes the waitperson's supervisor notes the reward. It's a small way of helping with advancement. On the other hand, good old American cash is always appreciated!!

In spite of the various opinions and comments stated by others, I would really liketo know if the 'automatic' 15% ends up in the server's (and bartender's) pockets. If so, then it is really a tip no matter what anyone calls it. If not, then it is simply part of the price of the drink - again no matter the name you put on it. In that case I wish they would just state it that way - it would definitely cause me to add a more generous amount below the line. The only way I know to really offer a tip is to do it in cash - from my hand to his/hers; consequently, I always try to have plenty of dollar bills in my pocket !!

I think the confusion about the 15% exists because of the difference in how the 15% is handled on NCL versus NCLA (the Hawaiian ships). On regular NCL ships, the 15% is automatically added to a bar bill. On NCLA, the gratuity line is left blank and the passenger is expected to fill it in. Based on what I've read here on CC, they do it differently on NCLA because of how an automatic tip would be handled tax-wise for an American ship.

As far as I'm concerned, the 15% tip that is automatically added is the least that should be left for the server. I've never felt that such a nominal tip was undeserved. More often than not, an extra tip is appropriate.

In spite of the various opinions and comments stated by others, I would really liketo know if the 'automatic' 15% ends up in the server's (and bartender's) pockets.

Yes, this 15% tip goes to the bar service tipping pool. There is very complicated formula of how it is split up. There are bartenders who spend an extreme amount of time making drinks for servers and never really get their name on a sale. They get their tips out of this tipping pool.

But, the numbers associated with a certain servers or bartenders selling activity is also used in determining promotions.

PE

I have read that when you purchase drinks they add a 15% tip. But on the website for NCL they suggest tipping 15% see below. I'm confussed.

"For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent."

Thanks for asking this question - I noticed the same on NCL's site....

thanks to everyone for their comments..

Thanks for the post Electricron! That last sentence is still clear as mud.

It's weird the number of threads there are for tipping. Some people don't even think there should be any which doesn't make sense to me, but, hey, that's JMO.

We like to tip cash above the 15% for the people who give extra service. But I don't know if they get to keep all of it or if they have to share that too. Does anyone know?

We have been really fortunate to have great cabin stewards and every ship has some very good bartenders. We haven't been so fortunate with our waiters but none have been bad and some have been very good.

My advice to those who question tipping is that your cruise will be more fun if you don't worry about it and tip where you think is appropriate.

I thought I read previously on these boards that any additional gratuity amount placed on the bill will be shared by the bar service pool.

Therefore, if I have a particular favorite waiter or bartender, I tip them in cash at the time of the service. This way, they receive this gratuity for themselves and do not share with the overall pool.

Don

I think the confusion about the 15% exists because of the difference in how the 15% is handled on NCL versus NCLA (the Hawaiian ships). On regular NCL ships, the 15% is automatically added to a bar bill. On NCLA, the gratuity line is left blank and the passenger is expected to fill it in. Based on what I've read here on CC, they do it differently on NCLA because of how an automatic tip would be handled tax-wise for an American ship.

As far as I'm concerned, the 15% tip that is automatically added is the least that should be left for the server. I've never felt that such a nominal tip was undeserved. More often than not, an extra tip is appropriate.

That is my understanding too. But I also think that the website could make this a little clearer.

That is my understanding too. But I also think that the website could make this a little clearer.

I agree. It seems that they wanted to write one policy that covered all their ships and in so doing they made it more confusing. Perhaps they need to post separate policies with regard to NCL vs. NCLA ships.

Just a reminder: The 15% auto tip is added on spa services too.

I wasn't aware of this and tipped our massage therapist a $ 20.00 after

my appt. but before I received my bill. Then the bill came and they had

added a 15 % tip to the $ 150.00 service which equaled: $ 22.50

So as good as she was a $ 42.50 tip for a massage was a little more than I would have usually tipped. But hey we were on vacation so I was still happy. :)

I personally think that adding 15% to a massage bill in sick! First, they get well over $100 for an hour's service. And you know there is no way that person doing the massage is getting anywhere near that kind of pay.

But to then add 15% without your okay is just plain wrong. And, before anybody says anything, that is why we do not do massages on a ship.

Archived