Diff. Between PoAloha and PoAmerica?

trtllovr

Hello everyone,

I just got a horrible review from PoAmerica from a friend just coming off of her honeymoon. She strongly advised me changing my cruise arrangements if possible (i'm going in 3.5 weeks on MY honeymoon). There were many things she didn't like about the ship and the wait staff and the food. She never said anything about the ports nor did she say anything actually went wrong, she just didn't like the amenities. Should I be concerned about my trip on the PoAloha? I have definately heard mixed reviews on the cruise but these last minute reviews are killer. Normally I take the bad reviews by stride but I would just like to reassure myself that PoAloha is better than the others. *crossing my fingers*. I'm definatly not going to change any plans at this point, just would love some reassurance. Thanks!

I am not sure what to tell you.

Both ships are American crewed - which means the service WILL be different from the international ships.

Pride of Aloha is older than Pride of America - I was on her when she was the NCL Sky and loved her.

Of the last 9 reviews of Pride of Aloha:

4 reviewers gave her 5 "stars"

2 reviewers gave her 4 "stars"

1 reviewer gave her 3 "stars"

2 reviewers gave her 2 "stars"

- So I guess this means that 6 out of 9 were quite satisfied with their cruises.

Will you be? Who knows? I can positively state that you will love the ports

- Hawaii is wonderful (I have not cruised there but i did a land vacation).

It is too late for you to change cruises and personally I think your friend

isn't (This person would know that it is too late for you to change and why add to your wedding stresses. Also I am awfully put off when people cannot come up with specifics about what exactly was wrong.)

My advice - at this point you cannot change - so go with an open mind expecting to enjoy the islands. Don't sweat the small stuff. If you encounter anything you don't like on board, complain IMMEDIATELY to the appropriate department. This gives them a chance to fix it to your satisfaction. IF you just let a small annoyance fester - it becomes a big problem.

When you get back, give us your review.

The Pride of Aloha is just out of drydock, so she should be in great shape. She also has more of a Hawaiian decor than the Pride of America, which will be nice in Hawaii. However, with its American crew don't expect the best service. It should be okay, just not great.

I have found that an American crew won't put up with the stuff an international crew will take. So when asking for anything for the room or in the restaurants, be very nice and not rude. Once they have booked you as a rude person, you'll never be satisified.

Don't complain it will take two hours to dine in the main restaurants. From what reviews I have read, that's about the time it takes to dine. If you don't have two hours, I suggest going to the buffet, the lido deck grill, or dining at the fast food place onboard.

You'll love the islands, that's for sure. Whether you'll enjoy the cruise is up to you. If you don't sweat the small stuff, you'll be okay. If the small stuff gets to you, complain nicely to the person you are dealing with, and if that don't work, to their superiors. Don't let it fester.

I was on the Pride of Aloha when she was first refurbished in 2004. Those early cruises were very bad. (NCL even admitted as much and gave cruise credits and refunds of service charges.) Service was slow and things just seemed disorganized. As I read reviews of her now, it appears that much has improved. As Don said, it is an all American crew and, right or wrong, service is just not as good as you may be used to on international ships.

If you are used to being pampered, having huge midnight buffets, etc. you will be disappointed. But if you plan your schedule accordingly and enjoy the scenery and go with the flow, you will be fine. It is Hawaii!!

Finally, the Pride of Aloha is smaller than the Pride of America. She does not have as many restaurants to choose from, but she is still a great ship.

Have a great Honeymoon and great cruise!

Archived