ROLL CALL- Grandeur of the Seas - Baltimore 9/1/06

AdamOfCanaveral

My partner and I are just about ready to book Royal Caribbean's 9-night Grandeur cruise out of Baltimore to Miami, Key West, Cozumel, Costa Maya and Port Canaveral leaving on Friday, September 1. That includes Labor Day weekend, so you only need 5 vacation days for a 9 day cruise. And the prices are great.

Just checking to see if there might be any family joining us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome aboard Dan and Doug. Glad to have yu with us. Where are you guys from? We live in Gaithersburg, Maryland, which is a suburb of Washington, D.C.

Have you cruised before? This will be our third cruise on the Grandeur. We love the ship and really like the convenience of sailing out of Baltimore.

There's a long thread going on the Roll Call - Royal Caribbean board for this cruise. When you get a chance take a look and you can see who some of our fellow travelers will be.

Hope you will also sign up for the Meet & Mingle.

Adam & Bob

We took a Junior Suite Guarantee so we do not have a cabin yet. I'm not sure way they have not assigned it yet because we are fully paid. By the way we live in Waldorf MD, I work in DC near the hill and Doug works in Alexandria. My assistant lives in G-burg. We should get each others email.

• 2 weeks later...

They finally assigned our cabin. We are in 7650 which is one deck below you guys. I am not sure that I want to be that far back. Did you guys like it back there? I might ask for a different mini-suite in the middle of deck 8. We had one on the Vision in Alaska last year and really loved it.

We had a junior suite in the middle of deck 8 the first time we were on the Grandeur and liked it just fine. Had a similar cabin on the Mariner and also enjoyed it.

Then last September there was an aft junior suite available and we decided to give it a try - and loved it. The balcony is about twice as deep as the side cabin balconies. About a third of the balcony is convered by deck 9 and the other 2/3 is open. So, in rainy weather you can still use part of the balcony. Or have shade if it's real hot or full sun if you're woking on a tan. The inside of the cabin is the same as side mini suites.

We didn't have any problem with motion in the aft cabin - even though we skirted Hurricane Ophelia and had some pretty high seas. And the aft view is great - 180 degrees - so it doesn't matter which side the dock is on, you get a view of the port and the harbor.

In any case, we liked the aft mini suite so much we booked one 2 doors over from the one we had last year (8086 was already taken).

There is an advantage to being closer to the elevators though.:)

Thanks for your input, we have decited to keep the cabin. After reading your comments and other on this site it sounds like a fine cabin. We can use the walk to the elevators!

I will need the vacation by Sept. 1, for the next month I will be very busy at work.

We have another cruise booked for the week after Thanksgiving on the new Crown Princess with Doug's mother and sister.

I just checked the deck plan and it appears that your cabin is identical to ours - just one deck down and one cabin over. I'm sure you will be pleased with your choice.

What is the Crown Princess's itinerary? What port does it sail from?

Hope you don't have to work too hard between now and the cruise.

We're looking forward to meeting you both.

Adam & Bob

This is itinerary for the Crown Princess, the ship sails on Nov. 25 but we travel in on the 24th.

1 San Juan, Puerto Rico

2 St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

3 St. Kitts, St. Kitts & Nevis

4 Grenada

5 Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles

6 Aruba

7 At Sea

8 San Juan, Puerto Rico

We booked a mini-suite GTY but do not have a cabin assigned.

I have not posted a roll call GLBT board yet but plan too in the next month or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know how to contact you, so I'll just post the email I sent to four of our other friends here:

We would like to invite all of you to join us for barbequed baby back ribs and accompaniments on Tuesday, July 4th, if you don't already have plans. Unfortunately, we can't see the fireworks from our balcony, but the DC ones show up very well on our HD TV.

Bob has to work on Tuesday, but you are welcome to arrive any time after 4 p.m. and help me set up. Bob should be home around 6.

Hope we'll see you.

Adam

You can contact us at adamkreps. at comcast.net.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Adam,

:cool:

Great to hear from you and hope to hear from others before we all depart for our Caribbean adventures. We are scheduled for second dinner seating and we think it's for a small table. Guess we can change that when we check in, especially if we can 'meet" others before we depart.

Since we booked so late, we're now looking at the excursions and likely will register for those today...

Between what these sites say versus what our Curise Summary Details say...can't tell if it's worth it to try and bring even two bottles of wine on board. Wouldn't want to throw it away nor be reprimanded by the cruise security, police, etc.

Looking forward to the trip, meeting you and others over drinks and such.

Our email is cacdth@aol.com

12 Days and counting...

Carl

Between what these sites say versus what our Curise Summary Details say...can't tell if it's worth it to try and bring even two bottles of wine on board. Wouldn't want to throw it away nor be reprimanded by the cruise security, police, etc.

Carl - I don't know for sure, but I believe they just confiscate it if they find it and return it to you the last night of the cruise.:(

I don't mean to be an alarmist, but I was just checking the Florida TODAY Website and their projection shows Hurricane Ernesto making landfall around Tampa on Thursday morning, crossing the state and heading into the Atlantic Ocean on Friday morning. Depending on where it goes from there, we might be skirting it on Saturday. :(

Don't forget your favorite seasick remedy.;)

Just 5 days and counting...

Archived