specific alaska cruise questions.

uscunc

after much research on this site, i now have some specific alaska cruise questions.

1) is hal and princess my best options? i noticed carnival is a little cheaper.

2) seattle or vancouver? i think roundtrip would be easiest as far as air travel. leaving from columbia, sc.

3) july or august (2007)?

4) should i arrange shore excursions thru cruise line or directly w/company.

i'll be using a travel agent.

thanks in advance for advice.:o

I would say that HAL & Princess are not necessarily your best options. I would say research where you want to go and go from there. If you really want to go to Glacier Bay, then go with one of those lines. Otherwise, Celebrity goes to Icy Strait and has great timing at ports as well. So, it's all about the ports for me! My third reason is that I'm ending my touring in Seward and don't want to make the extra trip to Whittier.

I'm going one-way because I'm doing a 1-week land tour before we leave. So, that forces me to leave out of Alaska.

3) I can't really comment here too much. Though I hear more rain in July. If you go later August, maybe you can see the Northern Lights?

4) I would arrange direct with companies because you get a TON of more choices and it's usually cheaper. Also, it puts $ right in their pockets...

Always check to see if prices come down!

1) I haven't been yet, but I would just look at which ports you want to visit and try to see a major glacier either Glacier Bay(usually the most recommended choice) or Hubbard. Some one way cruises even have 2 glacier viewing days. One-ways out of Vancouver have more true inside passage sailing while Seattle sailings tend to have more open ocean.

I have to second the suggestion to book independent, not only for the $$ savings but you should get a more private tour with smaller groups.

Archived