Accessibility on RCI Rhapsody of the Seas

PeggyET

Back again to tell you about the ship, RCI Rhapsody of the Seas. I had a handicapped room (3102) and it was great. A roll in shower, accessible commode, sink, and vanity. The beds were a bit low to the ground (hard to transfer from) so I asked for an extra mattress to make the bed taller (and softer) and they brought it to the room right away. I also needed an extra outlet by the bed to plug in my C-PAP machine, and they had an extension cord there in the room, ready and waiting for me!

The whole ship was very accessible. Just a small part of the Windjammer Cafe was not, had steps up to the dessert bar! But the staff was quite helpful in helping me reach all the wonderful desserts.

The ship has a lift on it so it makes tendering quite easy. The staff is very helpful.

The Excursion Desk staff weren't very sure about what excursions were wheelchair friendly. Luckily I ran into an experienced wheelchair cruiser onboard. He had loads of info, this was his 7th cruise. His name is Todd Whitehead, he uses a big powered chair, and is the nicest guy (quite a crooner on karaoke night too!). His email is cruiseescapes@earthlink.net

He's even been down to the Panama Canal!

Happy cruising!

Peggy

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the compliment & referal. I just happend to run across your post after I received an e-mail from someone who saw my name & info that wanted some information. I welcome the questions.

I think that cruise travel is the best possible vacation a person in a wheelchair can take. Everything isn't perfect, but not having to pack and unpack, not having to worry all the hassles that go along with flying, and still traveling all over the world and being a part of everything, is a disabled traveler's dream come true.

I am glad I met you and hope to meet many more of you on a cruise someday. Maybe Hawaii? Anyone been?

Good luck to all, Todd

cruiseescapes@earthlink.net

Archived