RCCL won't book 2 in a GS?

I have booked a trip for our family on Adventure of the Seas on the 12/31/06 sailing. I have booked several E1 cabins with two people each, but would like to book a Grand Suite for DW and I, both for our selfish comfort and as a meeting place for our group when appropriate.

The problem is that the RCCL reservation system will only allow the GS cabins to be booked with three occupants. Don't want three, only want two. The sleeper couch could accommodate a third, but in our case we can afford to get everyone their own bed.

So, right now I have the GS booked with a third person. I intend to cancel the third person right before final payment, and then pay for the cabin.

Do you think it will work? Anybody try this before?

Funny thing is one of the reasons we want the GS is that DW and I just got off the Jewel where we had a GS and loved it. Never any issue there about needing three occupants and that sailing (March 25) was booked up a lot quicker than this one seems to be going.

Would love to hear your comments/suggestions. And thanks!

bobj

That's ridiculous! Did you try booking through a TA? I'm a TA and just popped in your sailing date and availablity with two occupants, and the GS category is most DEFINITELY available for just two, no restrictions. I can't imagine why RCCL would tell you such a thing. :confused:

Oops, I was checking EXPLORER on that date, not ADVENTURE. :o

I see now what everyone else is seeing...it does show availability as a triple but not as a double. I do think it has to do with it being a holiday sailing and trying to maximize occupancy.

To the original poster, I would do exactly as you have planned, drop the third person right before final payment. You should be fine. :)

If you look it up on the RCCL website, for that sailing (AOS 12/31/06) at least, the GS shows NA for 2, but is available (several of them) for 3.

I did not go through a TA, booked myself by phone with RCCL rep. He was also unable to book me for just two people, so he booked me with a third person. He assured me that I could drop the third person later without getting kicked out of the category, but I was hoping someone on these boards could corroborate his statement.

Ella, your post wasn't up when I started typing this reply, but thanks for your assurances that I should be OK

Thanks all for the comments,

bobj

The atomated booking system is set up to not allow 2 in a cabin that can hold 3. You could call and talk to a rep. or have a T/A book it, it should not be a problem.

As for your plan to cancel one before final payment. I have never tried it but I would think it should work. If you have it booked now, you might want to go ahead and cancel the 3 person now so that just in case, you do not have a last minute problem.

But the funny thing is that if you look up any other ship for the same date sailing (ie New Years) you can get GS cabins available for just two people. And if you search the Adventure OTS for sailings earlier (eg Dec10) you can also get GS cabins available for two. It is just this ship and just this sailing. Strange, don't you think?:confused:

I may take Blizzard's advise and call to see if they can remove the third without a problem. Just afraid if I do drop the third, they will try to force me to a cabin which will only accomodate two, and all the "good" location Ds and Es are gone already.

bobj

I see what you mean. There is an additional £469(dont know what in USD) for the third person but not available for 2. I would be tempted to hold onto it as it is, wait for a price drop (check each day) and nearer the balance date take the third person off/RCL play with numbers alot when configuring and pricing, I have noticed. They usually charge you £20 per person (about $35) to deduct a person from a booking in one cabin. I have just taken 2 persons names off a 4 person superior interior cabin, a cabin which would not have been available for 2 at the time being it is designed for 4, and they have now just charged us exactly for the two(full cabin halved) plus £40 for taking two persons off the booking even though we got another upgrade room for those two.Good luck. Hollyanna:)

I booked my parents (only two) on the Mariner in a Grand Suite (via the group reservations department) and had no problem - I also tested to see what GS Cabins were available online first by doing a mock reservation. You might want to call and double check on this.

There is no glitch in the system.

It is a holiday sailing (New Year's to be exact).

RCCL can restrict to the booking to full occupancy if they so desire. Celebrity does it as well.

Cruiselines do it all the time. Frequently on Carnival, I can get cabins for 3.. or 4... but double occupancy... no.

Your reservation can still pop out even at final if you drop the third. Revenue management controls the inventory. Just be careful.

Remember final payments for holiday sailings have different final dates than non-holiday sailings.

Archived