Excursion Question...

Hi all,

Will be sailing on Freedom O/T Seas June 18-June 25th cruise to the Western Caribbean which includes these ports: Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay and Labadee (Private Island). Because we already spent so much money on cruise tickets, we want to take the excursions lightly. We think that there will be so much to do on board the ship that we will absorb ship life to the max and chill out at the same time.

Either way, we don't want to do any kinds of water sports because we live in the Eastern Caribbean so its pretty much the same for us to do water sports back home. We just want to spend a minimum amount on land excursions. Any suggestions? The only thing that looked remotely interesting to was the Dunn Falls (we will drive out to Ochos Rios) excursion which includes walking on trails and rafting. Nothing too out there as we are not all very adventurous people. Also, in Cozumel, we would like to visit the Mayan ruins etc. We also plan on taking walking tours of each place and a little souvenir shopping. Any other help? Suggestions? Anything will be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi all,

Will be sailing on Freedom O/T Seas June 18-June 25th cruise to the Western Caribbean which includes these ports: Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Montego Bay and Labadee (Private Island). Because we already spent so much money on cruise tickets, we want to take the excursions lightly. We think that there will be so much to do on board the ship that we will absorb ship life to the max and chill out at the same time.

Either way, we don't want to do any kinds of water sports because we live in the Eastern Caribbean so its pretty much the same for us to do water sports back home. We just want to spend a minimum amount on land excursions. Any suggestions? The only thing that looked remotely interesting to was the Dunn Falls (we will drive out to Ochos Rios) excursion which includes walking on trails and rafting. Nothing too out there as we are not all very adventurous people. Also, in Cozumel, we would like to visit the Mayan ruins etc. We also plan on taking walking tours of each place and a little souvenir shopping. Any other help? Suggestions? Anything will be appreciated. Thanks.

Dunns river falls is a blast, you walk UP the falls led by a guide. We did this with a tour. Be careful though is Jamaica as the locals are very pushy.

In Cozumel, the Mayan ruins? Are you referring to Tulum? If so, it is a long ride. We took the ferry across to Playa de Carmen and then were met by a bus which took about 1 1/2 hours to get to the ruins, it was worth it as they were beautiful and DH who is a history nut was in his glory. I have heard though that since the hurricane that it is not as good and maybe someone who has been there since then can give you the scoop. In Grand Cayman we did the stingray tour through the ship but many book privately and you can get some names. I am sure others will post on some of the private companies available and give you the reliable ones.

BTW your beautiful home island of St Maarten is one of my favorites and I am very envious that you get to live there.

Chankanaab National Park is also a great place to visit on Cozumel. Nice beach area, iguanas, dolphins, sea lions, etc. Very pretty and safe. Cab ride from port costs about $10.

Also...there's a fabulous restaurant in San Miguel named "Pancho's". I heard people rave and rave about it, so we decided to have lunch there. Great food and atmosphere. It was everything everyone said it was. And, they served some of the best margaritas that I ever had (carefull...big and potent).

Ocho Rios - get a tour guide on your own. Many reputable guides who show you a great time and take great care of you. www.peattaylor.com is who we used and I highly recommend him. We did Dunns River Falls and White River tubing and some sightseeing. He will also take you to Fern Gully and local restaurants if you want. Just name and he will work a tour with you. The cost is $35 which includes DRF admission. White River tubing is $20 extra.

Grand Cayman - Stingray City is in the water, but will be a great experience. I haven't done it yet, but will be doing it on my Freedom cruise.

www.mobydicktours.com

www.sotoscruises.com

www.nativewaywatersports.com

www.captainmarvins.com

Are some of the operators there. Grand Cayman also has Hell and the Turtle Farm and Tortuga Rum Cake factory. Hell will only take you about 15-20 minutes to say you have been to Hell and back.

Cozumel - we haven't been yet, but I have heard the ruins will take your whole day, so there may not be time for sightseeing on the island if that is what you want to do.

have fun and report back your time and impressions.

Thanks so much for the suggestions everyone. I will look into all details later on. Sue L thank you for the wonderful compliments of our island. It is a nice place to live in but for me, a big city is a nice change and like heaven with all the malls, busy streets, sightseeing etc. For you, a small place like St.Maarten is like paradise. That's how it is. ;)

I think the falls will take up a HUGE chunk of your day. Don't forget, this ship docks in MoBay, not Ocho Rios.

We are going ziplining! Will let you know how that is...will get back before you go.

Good luck!

Tracy

The OP wanted to go light on the excursions - so let's all suggest the most expensive ones...:rolleyes:

Dunns River Falls is a fair drive from Mo Bay. You may not want to take a chance of missing the ship.

Cozumel has some decent shopping in San Miguel (the downtown area) and lunch at Pancho's Backyard is delightful. I think that the State Park is still under repair, but I am sure someone will correct me if it has reopened. The previous poster is correct that the Mayan ruins are not on Isla Cozumel - it is a boat ride and not a "cheap" excursion.

Downtown Georgetown G.C. is very charming with lots of shops. The Butterfly Farm is a short taxi ride and is reasonably priced.

We've not been to Labadee but understand it is just a beach stop.

My apologies for the Mo'Bay vs. Ocho Rios confusion. My Freedom cruise goes to Ocho in 2008 so I just assumed. I agree the ride is a bit long (2 hours or so - one way) and might be a waste of your day if you can do something else.

As far as expensive I don't think a $30 Stingray City trip is out of the ordinary. It is water related, but supposed to be worth the trip.

Archived