Using Irons in Cabins?

Quick question....are we allowed to bring a small travel iron to use? If not, is there an area on the ship where you can use an iron so that you don't have to pay someone to do something that you can easily do yourself? We are sailing on Majesty of the Seas. Thanks!

You can not bring an iron on board the ship. It is a fire hazard. You can, however, send you clothes out to be pressed. The ship charges 50% of the laundry rate. A whole suit pressed comes out to something like $3.50 or so. Suites and gowns are the most expensive and everything else is less. You can find the rates on rccl.com under frequently asked questions. It is cheap.

You can not bring an iron on board the ship. It is a fire hazard. You can, however, send you clothes out to be pressed. The ship charges 50% of the laundry rate. A whole suit pressed comes out to something like $3.50 or so. Suites and gowns are the most expensive and everything else is less. You can find the rates on rccl.com under frequently asked questions. It is cheap.

But you can, however, smoke in your cabin, use a curling iron, or play with matches. But ... NO IRONS. :rolleyes:

Quick question....are we allowed to bring a small travel iron to use? If not, is there an area on the ship where you can use an iron so that you don't have to pay someone to do something that you can easily do yourself? We are sailing on Majesty of the Seas. Thanks!

I came up with this by doing the search feature. You can read all the information that has been posted before about this topic, on numerous threads. ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=3253813

I cruised with my sister last year and she took an iron with her. It's one of those full sized cordless ones, but the base has to be plugged in. She is an ironing freak, and doesn't travel without it. No one confiscated it and she used it. So, I guess the question is whether or not you really want to take the chance. Now me, I hardly ever iron anything, ever. That Downy Wrinkle Release is goood stuff.

BTW, my sister has cruised 9 or 10 times and always takes that full sized iron.

I, too, am an ironing freak. I used to iron for extra money as a teenager, and used it as a part-time job when the kids were little. So, ironing is my thing.

I have no idea why your sis would want to bring a full sized iron on a cruise, since their isn't a good flat surface to use as a board. I use an upright travel steamer, holding the clothes up on the hanger, and steam away! Works really, really well, and I do ALL our clothes for DH and I as I unpack and hang up the clothes.

The hazard thing is with the electrical load. No one wants a fire inside the walls, right?

Small travel steamers take less voltage.

We traveled on the Voyager in the autumn of 2004 (right into 2 hurricanes!! This turned out OK though). As for the iron, I traversed these boards over and over and came up with the response that irons were "forbidden." HOWEVER, on the RCCL website and in the travel info we received from TA, the word "forbidden" did not appear; rather, it was something like "discouraged due to fire hazard." We took a travel iron anyway, which we had always done in the past, and plugged it into a power strip we had brought. As it turned out, we had to use the iron just once (to iron only the sleeves on a blouse), and left the iron in plain site on the "bureau." We heard nary a word about it from the cabin steward or anyone else.

In contrast, Holland America is very clear about this -- they use the phrase "NOT allowed." I'd suggest that you check the website and search carefully for "forbidden" or a synonym. ML:rolleyes:

There's a difference between a travel iron and steamer. The steamer I have is a plastic material, doesn't even get hot to touch, uses very low voltage, and only produces steam (just boils the water inside). I can also use it as a flat surface "iron" to steam clothes laying flat, but it's awkward with no real flat surface large enough.

So, I don't think it even fits the "forbidden" list because of the way it's made. Got it from QVC.

My sis doesn't use a travel iron because she doesn't think they do a very good job. I don't remember what she used as a "board", but she also left the iron out in plain sight and the room steward never said a word.

Archived