Opinions on Freedom...

Hi all,

I am interested in getting your feedback. My initial thought on Freedom was that it would be cool but that we really couldn't spend enough to put us all in balcony rooms (there's 5). But, in reading the reviews, I really want to try it out. I have concerns about the crowds and this would be for next year once the bugs with service are all worked out (new ships usually get more than their share of complaints for the first few months). Currently, we are doing the 5.12.07 Enchantment 5 night in a balcony for me and DH and then my mom and our kids in an inside (their first cruise). Do you think it would be worth it to forgo the balcony for an inside on Freedom? I pretty much hate crowds and I was looking forward to the relaxing experience of the balcony on Enchantment but there is a lot more to do on Freedom. What do you think the crowd situation will be like on Freedom with so many people? Is an inside on Freedom better than a balcony on Enchantment?

Thanks for your input!!!

I would go with the inside on the Freedom, maybe a promende room might be interesting for you and your DH. Besides being a new ship with all the bells and whistles, the Freedom is a 7 day cruise while Enchantment is only 5 and I prefer the longer cruise.

I personally would choose a balcony - which I love - on Enchantment over anything on FOS. I think the ship is WAY TOO BIG and I cannot imagine the lines and tendering issues, not to mention how impersonal the service is sure to be.

Unless one has kids, which I see you do, I truly cannot understand the lure of the ship.

I would go with Freedom. Seven days is always better than five days. I have been on Voyager class ships several times and I have never noted a problem with crowds. Since Freedom is really just an slightly enlarged Voyager class ship I would not anticipate crowd related problems there either. The kids will likely find more to do on the Freedom. As for the balcony, ask yourself, how much time will you really spend there. Are you planning to stay in your cabin all the time just to use the balcony or are you planning to participate in as many activities as possible. If you are very active you will probably make little use of the balcony. Ultimately, ask yourself this one question - will you be sitting on the balcony wondering what it would have been like to be on the Freedom.

I am not as negative as Caviargal, but having done a pre-inaugural on Freedom, it is not the ship for you if you "hate crowds." I think the service will be comparable to other RCI ships, but you're sailing with a lot of people, and there will naturally be crowds at certain times in certain venues.

I think it will be difficult to determine whether there will be crowd problems on a typical 7 night cruise on Freedom based on our experiences from two nights on the ship. Those of us who are on a two night cruise on this brand new ship will be trying to cram everything into those two nights and days and that might create more crowding than you would experience during a more leisurely 7 day cruise on the same ship. RCI has usually managed to create traffic patterns and to schedule a wide variety of simultaneous activities and entertainments to spread the large number of passengers throughout the ship and reduce instances where too many passengers gather in one location at the same time (the parade might be an exception although it can be viewed from the many decks overlooking the Royal Promenade which might help).

We'll be on her tomorrow and I will let you know my opinion when we get back. However, as I said, that opinion might be colored by the short period of time we will have to see and do as much as we can in the limited time available.:)

I personally would choose a balcony - which I love - on Enchantment over anything on FOS. I think the ship is WAY TOO BIG and I cannot imagine the lines and tendering issues, not to mention how impersonal the service is sure to be.

Unless one has kids, which I see you do, I truly cannot understand the lure of the ship.

Lines will not be bad on Freedom. don't forget that the space ratio is better on Freedom than Radiance, Vision or even the sovereign class. They even have more crew per passanger than the other classes. It is not THAT much larger than Voyager class and space ratio are better on Freedom and Voyager class ships than any other class. You are missing out if you do not experience this ship.

Lines will not be bad on Freedom. don't forget that the space ratio is better on Freedom than Radiance, Vision or even the sovereign class. They even have more crew per passanger than the other classes. It is not THAT much larger than Voyager class and space ratio are better on Freedom and Voyager class ships than any other class. You are missing out if you do not experience this ship.

I used to agree, but after the Bayonne pre-inaugural, I think Caviargal might be right and there may be lines in certain places at certain times (elevators, Cafe P / Sorrentos, Windjammer). Bill is probably right in that we need a revenue cruise or 2 to really know for sure.

Archived