Bad Celebrity -now charging for shuttle

marblemel

Anne Maria - When we did our Baltic cruise, we were able to use local transportation, or walk from the port into the downtown areas for the 3 ports you mention. Hopefully the shuttle is optional and not required - if so, you could take a local bus, walk or probably take a cab for less than the shuttle cost for 3 people.

Susan thanks for the information.

We just got off the Millennium last week. They had a Shuttle in Lisbon, Valencia and Malaga. The shuttle takes you to the town center.

The shuttles are entirely optional. The charge is for round trip. They give you the same type of ticket that you get for a ship tour. You show the ticket when you board the shutttle. If you take a celebrity sponsered tour and want to go into town later or you are dropped off in the city you just use your tour stub to board the shuttle.

Charges were Lisbon $8.00

Malaga $5.00

Valencia $8.00

We were told that you were to buy tickets on the ship before we reached port. Many people didn't and tickets were being sold outside the shuttle which caused lines in the morning.

I hope this anxwers some questions.

Gail

Sorry to disappoint you, SF, but my shore excursion guide for our June 17 Baltic cruise on the Connie notes the following:

Many ports are not located in the city center. For the convenience of guests, a shuttle bus service has been arranged (for a nominal fee) in those ports that are located approximately 1 mile or more away from the closest city center and do not have adequate local transportation available. This service is set up to complement local transportation, and guests are welcome to utilize local services, when and where available. Details of which port will have a shuttle service will be advised on board the ship.

Most everything has its price. I just wonder if the shuttle is round trip, or if it's charged per trip.

Where did you find this in your docs? I am trying to find it in mine for the Century Baltic cruise. This is quite a dissappointment as in the past we were used to having free shuttles. A while back there was a thread that mentioned this may occur as there was already a charge on RCI; hope I'm not misquoting. Was thinking it was just a nasty rumor.

Have to agree with SF, that will add up to quite a bit for us families of 4!

There's a big difference between shuttles that take you through a secure zone and shuttles that take you a long distance from the dock into town.

I've never had to pay for a shuttle to take me through a secure zone. That would be like charging for tenders -- the charge is only "optional" in the sense that getting off the ship is optional.

But charging people for optional shuttles so they can avoid walking doesn't seem like a big deal. I was on a cruise just last week where I walked the 1.5 miles from the dock into town, even though shuttles were available for a fee (and most passengers were lining up to pay). Sometimes these shuttles are free, but it seems like they are courtesy of the local government or businesses -- not the cruise line.

We were told that you were to buy tickets on the ship before we reached port. Many people didn't and tickets were being sold outside the shuttle which caused lines in the morning.

Gail

Hi Gail,

Do you know where on the ship you buy the shuttle tickets? Would it be the Shore Excursion desk, or somewhere else?

Thank you.

Hi,

I agree with other posters and don't expect a free coach into town from the ship. On the other hand when the ship berths in a commercial port I would expect a shuttle coach to take us to the port gates. This was always done in Civitavecchia for example. Are these shuttles still run?

Ian :D

The Shuttle tickets are purchased at the shore excursions desk, they put a form in the cabin and you fill it in which shuttles you require and then post it in the box, they then send the tickets to your stateroom.

And please note to everyone who says they do not charge from ship to dock gates, THEY DO!!!!! So it is up to you if you want to pay or WALK!!

I didn't have time to go through all the posts on this subject, but here's my take:

We were just on a 16 day transatlantic (Galaxy).

Key West and Nassau - no shuttle, no fee

Ponta Delgada, Azores - shuttle, no fee, because port regulations prohibit passengers from walking around on the pier due to safety concerns. Dropped off near a lot of shops and restaraunts (not sure if it was city center, but plenty to do).

Lisbon, Portugal - shuttle, optional, cost $7 for a day pass, but you could walk off the ship into town, take a taxi, or whatever. It dropped you off near city center (big shopping/eating district) You didn't have to use the X shuttle. There were a lot of taxis waiting once we walked through the port building.

Palma de Mallorca, Spain - same as Lisbon

Civ., Italy - not sure because we were going directly to the airport.

So I'm not sure where the OP got the impression that they HAD to take the shuttle, but in the one case where we were told we had to take the shuttle, it was free. Otherwise, we could do as we wished. When we took excursions, they gave us the option of dropping us in town to do shopping and take the shuttle back later (included in your excursion ticket), or taking us directly back to the ship.

Hi,

I moved away from P&O cruises because of the increasing numbers of 'silly little charges' being introduced onboard their ships. You even pay for room service onboard now! What a shame Celebrity is heading in the same direction. I go on cruises for the almost all inclusive nature of them. Sadly now its becoming more like staying in a hotel, than going on a cruise.....

Ian :D

Personally, I would rather pay these charges up front, inclusive with the cruise fare, and not bother with nickel and diming, which seems "petty" on the part of the cruiseline. It is something like hotels charging guests to make local calls, which I also find offensive. Why not charge a few bucks more, and "give" the service? Makes you look so much better...

Why not charge a few bucks more, and "give" the service?

I don't think they should include this cost in the cruise price, but rather keep it as an option for those who use the shuttles.

If the cost was 'hidden' in the overall cruise price, people who pay for Celebrity shore excursions and private tours (and who aren't even using the shuttles) would be subsidizing the cost of a service for those who choose to do independent touring.

We tour on our own as often as possible - if I need to pay to use a shuttle from the ship to a point that is going to make it more convenient for me to catch a train or bus, then I don't think it's an unreasonable request because there are costs associated with providing the service.

Hi Gail,

Do you know where on the ship you buy the shuttle tickets? Would it be the Shore Excursion desk, or somewhere else?

Thank you.

I bought mine at the Shore Excurion desk. They also put a paper in the daily schedule(forgot the name) which you could check the ports you wished to purchase tickets and drop them off (probably at the shore excurion desk.)

I just got back to the States from my cruise and want to clarify the shuttle charges I was referring to. In Civitavecchia we were charged $8 to get to and from the entrance to the port - it was too far a walk. When we were returning, we found out that the shuttles are free to all other ships and had we walked 100 feet to the front of the NCL ship docked right in front of Millie, we would not have had to pay! It was infuriating. The $8 is not much, but to learn it was free to all other ship's passengers was.

The other port they charged for a shuttle was in Venice. We were told it would be available all day to go back and forth to St. Mark's Square, no charge. Then in the morning when we docked in Venice were told - oops, we were wrong, there is an $8 charge for that too. I walked over to Piazzale Roma (took 5 minutes) and bought an all day Vaporetto pass from there. Mainly on principle since I was getting frustrated with all the up charges Celebrity was looking for.

Just off Galaxy trans-Atl. In Azores port the shuttle was free from ship to harbor entrance through commercial loading area - distance about 1/2 mile.

Days before Lisbon and Palma Majorca they gave all pax a flyer indicating OPTION of paying for shuttle from ship to downtown center, a distance of 1-3miles or so (at $7 pp ROUNDTRIP, each port). A few walked into town each way and we walked back both ports. The overall cruise cost was so reasonable for the value provided, I took no offense at this situation.

I guess I will be travelling with fewer and fewer other pax on X as those who are dissatisfied move on to lines they find more to their liking. I will try to cope.

In 2004 I took the Venice cruise and the shuttle was free. I thought it was a nice touch since the ship wasn't really close to Doges palace, St. Mark's etc.and the shuttle ran often. If it is a service that I use, I don't mind paying for it but it was nice when their was no charge compared to other cruises charging. In that respect, you felt like you were truly on a premium cruise line.

Kurt

Just off Galaxy trans-Atl. In Azores port the shuttle was free from ship to harbor entrance through commercial loading area - distance about 1/2 mile.

Days before Lisbon and Palma Majorca they gave all pax a flyer indicating OPTION of paying for shuttle from ship to downtown center, a distance of 1-3miles or so (at $7 pp ROUNDTRIP, each port). A few walked into town each way and we walked back both ports. The overall cruise cost was so reasonable for the value provided, I took no offense at this situation.

I guess I will be travelling with fewer and fewer other pax on X as those who are dissatisfied move on to lines they find more to their liking. I will try to cope.

Thats not bad at all.. $14 a couple. But sometimes its just nice to walk...

I just got back to the States from my cruise and want to clarify the shuttle charges I was referring to. In Civitavecchia we were charged $8 to get to and from the entrance to the port - it was too far a walk. When we were returning, we found out that the shuttles are free to all other ships and had we walked 100 feet to the front of the NCL ship docked right in front of Millie, we would not have had to pay! It was infuriating. The $8 is not much, but to learn it was free to all other ship's passengers was.

The other port they charged for a shuttle was in Venice. We were told it would be available all day to go back and forth to St. Mark's Square, no charge. Then in the morning when we docked in Venice were told - oops, we were wrong, there is an $8 charge for that too. I walked over to Piazzale Roma (took 5 minutes) and bought an all day Vaporetto pass from there. Mainly on principle since I was getting frustrated with all the up charges Celebrity was looking for.

I just returned from the same cruise as Deborah, and have a different opinion. In Santorini you could buy a ticket for the cable car (one way) or you could walk, ride the donkey or buy your ticket at the cable car entrance. The only other ticket we bought was in Venice. $8 per person for an all day pass. Again the choice was up to you.

I have been on many Celebrity Cruises, and do not feel that I was"nickeled and dimed" (whatever that means).

It was an awesome cruise. Great food, excellent service and in my opinion for a six year old ship; the Millennium is in great shape. We were in a aft cc cabin, and the views were spectacular. It was one of our best cruises to date.

Mari

I had no problem paying for the shuttle bus transfers in both Lisbon and Palma. Although this was a first for me as previously it had been free.

My complaint is that in Lisbon as at the Hotel in Houston there were simply not enough buses and I had a wait in Houston until 2.30pm and go on the ship at 4.15pm.

We still did manage to get some lunch as there were delays from the airport as well.

In Lisbon I had a wait of 80 minutes between going to the holding area and being given a number which was then called. It was chaos as there were a lot of people complaining and our time in Lisbon was reduced due to this. I spoke with the Hotel Director regarding this and he thanked me for bringing this to his attention.

He sent me 2 priority passes for Palma but there seemed to be a good number of buses in any case. We had a late docking in Palma and they moved the departure time of 18.00 hrs to I think 19.30 hrs. I was back on board just after 6pm so I am not totally certain about this. The main problem in Palma is that on a Saturday many of the shops close in the afternoon.

I am going on Century in September and I will either use the shuttle or just go by taxi. Travelling with a friend so we can share the cost.

Sue

We just got back from a transatlantic on Voyager of the Seas. Interesting that Celebrity is charging $8 r/t and Royal Caribbean was charging $4 r/t for these shuttles. (free to Diamond Crown & Anchor members)

You purchased the shuttle tickets ahead of time at either the shore excursion desk or the guest relations or the interactive TV.

Happy Wanderer

We are just back from the Baltics - and Celebrity are charging either $5 or $6 one way depending how far from the town centre you are. You had to get your tickets from the shore excursion desk. Not sure if you could pay on the bus though, perhaps someone else could answer this one.

We didn't use the shuttle at all, preferring to walk (we are Brits and walk everywhere anyway). Now that Celebrity have started this, I can't believe that over the next year or so a lot of the other cruise lines won't be following suit. Up to now our other preferrred cruise line, P&O, have always provided free shuttles, I will wait and see what happens there.

Lyn

We just got back from a transatlantic on Voyager of the Seas. Interesting that Celebrity is charging $8 r/t and Royal Caribbean was charging $4 r/t for these shuttles. (free to Diamond Crown & Anchor members)

Wonder if Celebrity is also not charging for their Elite Member's which is equivalent to Royal Caribbean's Diamond Members?

Archived