Newbie question...

CXM

Hello all. My hubby and I are going on the 7 day glacier cruise in July. Tipping is confusing, as is what exactly will we have to pay for on the ship?...I mean, we don't drink alcohol..(no, we're not boring;))...are the fruit juices, frozen virgin drinks, sodas, tea & coffee included in our cruise package?..I'm not clear on this...thanks for any help........

cxm

Hello all. My hubby and I are going on the 7 day glacier cruise in July. Tipping is confusing, as is what exactly will we have to pay for on the ship?...I mean, we don't drink alcohol..(no, we're not boring;))...are the fruit juices, frozen virgin drinks, sodas, tea & coffee included in our cruise package?..I'm not clear on this...thanks for any help........

cxm

Hi! I've only cruised once with NCl so I'm by no means an expert, but...

Tipping...A charge is automatically added to your bill each day to cover a good portion of the crew. A 15% is auto added to your bar tab (regardless of alc. or not :) ) Room service, Kids crew, concierge, butler (if you are lucky to have one) are not included in daily tip and should be tipped additionally. From there, tip as you like. I gave additional tips to room stewards and a few of the bar servers and for outstanding service at some of the restaurants.

Drinks. YOu will pay for your frozen virgin drinks. Juices are free but what is availbe depends on the time of day (oj in the morning, apple at lunch, etc). Soda is for a fee, but you can buy a soda card...actually its a sticker on your room card...not sure of the cost (I don't drink soda...but I do drink alcohol:D ). Regular coffee and teas are free. Specialty coffees are available for a fee (some restaurants do have special coffees for free).

There...clear as mud...sorry to be vauge about some of the info...

There is a $10 per day, per person, charge added to your on-board account for tips. Any gratuities above and beyond this are at your discretion, except for drinks which incur a 15% gratuity.

Frozen virgin drinks and soda are not included. You can buy a soda card for the week to save some money if you drink a lot of soda.

Tea and coffee from the buffet, in the restaurants is included. If there is a specialty coffee shop on your ship, though, that would be extra. They do have some juices available at the buffet at breakfast that are included, and I think Iced Tea. Hope this helps:)!

cxm

You can find this information by going to the "Reviews" section of CC. Choose your ship, click on the review, and it will give you a rundown of all the restaraunts. Those that are free & those that have cover charges. Juice is generally free but you can usually only get it in the mornings. Ice tea is also free all day. Frozen drinks Virgin & alcoholic will cost you.

have fun!

We're not alcohol drinkers either -- it sure eliminates that big bar tab at the end of the cruise :D . If you're interested in frozen virgin drinks, see if they will sell you a teen-passport at the bar the first day of the cruise. I've heard varying reports about whether or not they will if you don't have teens on board. We had kids who were just over the age limit, and they sold us 2 without any problems, but if you have nobody close to the age limit they might not agree to it.

The teen passport is a booklet of 20 coupons that can be used for smoothies or non-alcoholic frozen drinks. The price was $34.50, so the cost per smoothie worked out less than $2.00 per drink. You'll pay quite a bit more for them if you purchase them individually. We were able to use them for all 4 of us -- Mom, Dad, DS (21) and DD (19) without any problem. It's definitely worth inquiring about.

Thanks, good advice.......I have another question.....how many restraunts are included in the package?....I see there are some on the Sun that have a cover charge? Do they only have a cover charge and the meal is free? Or do you have to pay for the meal too?......soooooooo much to learn.....thank you all you cruising pros!!!!!!!!;)

cxm

Thanks, good advice.......I have another question.....how many restraunts are included in the package?....I see there are some on the Sun that have a cover charge? Do they only have a cover charge and the meal is free? Or do you have to pay for the meal too?......soooooooo much to learn.....thank you all you cruising pros!!!!!!!!;) cxm

Here's a listing of restaurants aboard the Norwegian Sun:

Four Seasons Main Restaurant (Main Dining Room)

Cuisine: Continental

Surcharge: No

Reservations Required: No

Seven Seas Main Restaurant (Main Dining Room)

Cuisine: Continental

Pacific Heights

Cuisine: Light/Healthy Cuisine

Reservations Required: Yes

East Meets West

Cuisine: Steaks

Surcharge: Yes, $15 per person

Ginza Restaurant

Cuisine: Asian (Sushi, Sashimi, Teppanyaki)

Surcharge: Yes, $12.50 per person

Le Bistro French Restaurant

Cuisine: French

Surcharge: Yes, $15 per person

Las Ramblas Tapas Bar & Restaurant

Cuisine: Mexican, Tex-Mex Tapas Bar

Garden Café/Great Outdoor

Cuisine: Informal Outdoor Dining. Breakfast, Lunch, and Snacks

Il Adagio

Cuisine: Italian

Surcharge: Yes, $12.50 per person

Briefly, the only ala carte surcharges you'll find will be in Ginza (various items) and in LeBristo, if you order Surf & Turf with an extra $5 surcharge.

I hope this helps!:cool:

Archived