Riviera to Spa Deck on Valor

CruisingSGB

Hi - We are about to go on our first cruise and had booked an oceanview room on the Riviera deck on the Valor. Since it was our first cruise, it was recommended that we stay low and in the middle to avoid any possible seasickness. We just found out that we've been upgraded to the Spa deck, which happens to be the deck we were also considering, but didn't book due to cost. The Spa deck sounds great with the windows and easy access to areas of the ship we'll be using. However I'm concerned that it's forward and high so we'll feel more movement. We don't know if we are prone to seasickness or not. Does anyone know if noise from Camp Carnival, which is above the Spa deck, can be heard on the Spa deck? Should I be worried or just enjoy the fact we got the Spa deck without paying the extra cost? We're very excited about the cruise!

Congrats on the upgrade. Did you book an OV Guarantee?? We were (Jan.05 #1104) on the Spa Deck and enjoyed it immensely, especially since we just booked an Inside Guarantee Quad.(I just recently noticed that all the rooms on Spa Deck are Quads-I guess that is why they call it a family stateroom!)

Very quiet floor and we had NO noise from the Camp Carnival.

My eldest daughter(and husband a titch) did feel a bit queasy on the first morning and the last morning. I can not say if there was more movement on Spa Deck, but I have read if you are prone to seasickness to stay low and in the middle of the ship.

I hope you enjoy your upgrade and have a great cruise!

I am in a quandry as: we booked IS Quad again on Valor, but because of the Past Passenger promotion got bumped up to a specific Inside Quad room of 4G (Panorama-one floor below the Spa Deck). I do not know whether we should take that upgrade OR gamble and hope for a better upgrade!

Relax, the Spa deck is awesome! I just got off the Glory (5/6-5/13) There were different opinions, but to me it was a very rocky trip. I felt the same motion in the dining room as I did in my room. My parents were also on the trip in a Spa deck room and they both have been seasick a lot. They were fine, with no drugs, ginger or wrist bands. The window is so wonderful and there's no noise at all from the kids. I don't know if I'll ever be able to take a regular cabin agiain. HAVE A BLAST!

Great! Thanks for the replies. I'll relax and enjoy the view! We had booked a specific OV on Rivieria and got an upgrade to Spa deck when I noticed that the rate on the 3rd & 4th pax had gone down and asked for shipboard credit. They gave us the upgrade instead and we were very happy! We're going to be in the same cabin as you were, 1104.

I'm lucky tonite, so many of my cruising questions have been posted by others, and so many nice replies.

We are considering the Spa Deck. My mother is disabled, and the cabins are near the elevators, central to so much, and the bigger room seems so appealing with 3 of us in one room.

I wondered the difference between a balcony room and these rooms that state they have floor to ceiling windows - i'm guessing the windows overlook the deck below ?

I'm lucky tonite, so many of my cruising questions have been posted by others, and so many nice replies.

We are considering the Spa Deck. My mother is disabled, and the cabins are near the elevators, central to so much, and the bigger room seems so appealing with 3 of us in one room.

I wondered the difference between a balcony room and these rooms that state they have floor to ceiling windows - i'm guessing the windows overlook the deck below ?

Hi,

No, the windows don't overlook a deck....they look right out over the ocean! They angle out - do a search on this site and you'll find some pictures. The cabin is fabulous, and while I've never had a balcony I think I'll always try for the floor to ceiling window. I saw just beautiful sunrises. It was like looking at a giant movie screen.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Talltales, that's a great vote of confidence, and we have decided on the Spa deck, 1) because it's a tad larger, and B) we are getting a great deal on it through our time share tradein (same cost for the three of us on the Spa deck, as our 2 friends in a balcony room).

Now, just have to wait 10 months... :eek:

Last year we did a b2b cruise on the Glory..had an inside lower the first week and were able to get Spa deck for week 2..did not notice any difference in motion up there and the view is AWESOME! No noise from Camp Carnival... Have a great cruise!

You'll be happy with the spa deck. We were on the Valor last week and our kids had 3 oceanview cabins on Riviera deck. They didn't care for it. First of all, looking out the window when you are that close to the water can be dizzying. Secondly, they felt a lot of vibration being that low. And thirdly, the stench down on that deck was terrible after about the third or fourth day. I think you are going to love Spa Deck.

I am in a quandry as: we booked IS Quad again on Valor, but because of the Past Passenger promotion got bumped up to a specific Inside Quad room of 4G (Panorama-one floor below the Spa Deck). I do not know whether we should take that upgrade OR gamble and hope for a better upgrade!

I would take the 4G. with the past quest promotion everyone is opting to take the free upgrade so little will be left. If you take the chance you could get an inside cabin on the riveria deck.

Its a hard decision to make. Its very rare that people go from inside to oceanview and I know from reading the boards it seems almost everyone gets that kind of upgrade but cruisecritic members represent less then 1% of the cruising public.

For our cruise on the Valor last week, we had booked our kids in 3 inside guarantee cabins. They all got upgraded to oceanview cabins. They have never minded the inside cabins, but the one advantage was that the oceanview cabins were significantly larger than the insides (220 sq. ft. vs. 185 sq. ft.) on that particular ship. But the kids really didn't care for being on the Riviera Deck. They said if they had a choice, they would have preferred to be on a higher deck, even if it meant having an inside cabin. Hubby and I were "luxuriating" in a balcony cabin on Verandah deck, so maybe thay resented being in the bowels of the ship!

Guest YesitDonna

I have been on just about every deck as far as I can remember. The only difference I can see from being in a higher deck in the same catagory is not taking the elevator as long lol.

we also were upgraded to room 1101 on the spa deck from a OV GTY. I was nervous at first but LOVED the location and view!!! My DH and DS's all get seasick, but we didn't notice any difference. In fact we felt the motion in the dining rooms the most....I've noticed the spa deck usually goes for more than a balcony GTY. I was spoiled on my very first cruise by this wonderful upgrade...Sigh guess it will have to be a balcony next time. I am in the process of trying to convince DH we need to cruise again without the kids....I bet you are going to come back raving about your cabin...Enjoy your cruise

Hi - We have just returned from our cruise on the Valor. Our Spa Deck cabin was even better than we had hoped. We LOVED the large floor to ceiling and wall to wall window. The location was perfect for us. Camp Carnival was one floor above us so our son just ran up the stairs to camp. The forward pool and slide was just outside and the Lido deck was easy to get to for food. Also, we found that the best place for us to lay out and enjoy the sun and shade was just above and up one flight of stairs, outside of Camp Carnival. My husband used the gym every day so that was easy to get to. Also, he would sometimes shower in the spa when we all needed the shower at the same time.

Our cabin 1104, was under the part of the deck that has the little kiddie pool (never saw kids in it, just adults cooling off), for Camp Carnival, so I don't know about the deck chairs. I didn't hear any of our neighbors complain about it. We didn't hear any noise on the Spa deck and the cabin steward was great. We didn't have ANY problem with seasickness. There were a couple of nights that the ship was rolling a bit side to side, but it was no worse on the 11th floor than the 3rd floor.

Thanks for coming back to report about your cabin.

Those showers in the gym are awesome arent they? did your husband say if the stalls each have 6 differnt shower heads?

Archived