Arriving in or departing from Rome

emckeeve

We're in the planning stages of SeaDream trip number 4. The itineraries that intrigue me for 2007 seem to begin or end in Rome. Can someone please tell me how difficult and expensive it is to get from the airport to the city for a one night pre-cruise stay and then back out to Civitavecchia. I have heard that it is a royal pain (and expensive) to do so. Any hints or storeis to share?

We're in the planning stages of SeaDream trip number 4. The itineraries that intrigue me for 2007 seem to begin or end in Rome. Can someone please tell me how difficult and expensive it is to get from the airport to the city for a one night pre-cruise stay and then back out to Civitavecchia. I have heard that it is a royal pain (and expensive) to do so. Any hints or storeis to share?

You really should plan 2 days in Rome - and stay in town. We stayed at the Hilton overlooking the Vatican - and it was exceptional. Our friends stayed more mid town and they really liked where they were as well. The airport is about 45 minutes from the port - and Rome is about 1 hour. You can take the train, but it's probably easier to just catch a cab. On the way back from Rome to the airport we took a cab and it was about 60 Euros ( isn't that about $580 US? LOL ) and took about 45 minutes.

Our friends only stayed 1 night - and it was a pain for them - they just got in the city and then had to leave before enjoying it.

I know, two days in Rome would be much nicer. But this time I am traveling with my daughter, a working girl, and her time is limited. I've been to Rome, but she hasn't. Might be better skip it altogether. Boo hoo.

The convienence of flying in and out of Rome for us has more to do with airport connects than anything else, we can fly there directly (or even in the worst frequent flyer cash in one stop) which is a huge benefit from my experience with luggage issues and wear and tear on us....

I would happily take the trip into and out of Rome to avoid a single or double connection flight....

Plus a night in Rome is just worth a ton, a quick nap on arrival, a great steam at the Excelsior, dinner on the roof top of the Eden and a late night stroll around the Borghese back to the hotel....slepping in late on that westin feather bed before a quick spin of the shops by the Spainish Steps and then lunch outside of the Pantheon before heading out of town to catch Sea Dream....

sign me up now!!

Archived