downloading camera memory cards

Techie

Question is specific to the Diamond Princess. I know they can download your camera memory card and burn it to a CD but does anyone know if they can also burn to a DVD? I have a 2 GB memory card.

Thanks,

Joan

Question is specific to the Diamond Princess. I know they can download your camera memory card and burn it to a CD but does anyone know if they can also burn to a DVD? I have a 2 GB memory card. Thanks, Joan

I cannot answer your question, but my guess would be no. My suggestion is with the price of memory nowadays, considering the cost of burning a CD (so a DVD has to be more), I would invest in more memory. I bought a GB of memory for the probably the cost of two CD downloads.

Question is specific to the Diamond Princess. I know they can download your camera memory card and burn it to a CD but does anyone know if they can also burn to a DVD? I have a 2 GB memory card.

Thanks,

Joan

I read somewhere on these boards that they charged $25. per cd for 1GB and that 2GB would cost $50.

Circuit City had a sale this week with store credit and rebate $29.99 for a 1GB memory card.

We bought a Roadstor just so that we could download our memory cards to CDs on our last cruise. There were 4 of us and we took over 4000 pictures. Of course, the Roadstor cost more than what it would have cost to put all those pictures on CDs on the ship but we figured that after a few cruises we would have saved enough money to pay for it. You might consider some sort of portable hard drive or CD/DVD writer if you are a frequent cruiser and take lots of pictures. Another advantage is that you can view your pictures on the TV in your cabin. The newest Roadstor now writes to DVDs as well as CDs.

OK, go with the logic on this one.

You can down load memory cards to prints or CD

They burn DVD’s onboard to sell your “voyage” souvenir DVD.

They have all the hardware to do the job, but do they have the software?

If they do, you will get a DVD with ALL your raw photos without editing.

OK, go with the logic on this one.

If they do, you will get a DVD with ALL your raw photos without editing.

You lost me here. What was the logic on this one ? :confused:

You lost me here. What was the logic on this one ? :confused:

Lost me too - I don't WANT them messing with my files, I WANT the raw ones.

Still, I think the suggestion to invest in a couple other cards makes a lot of sense. They are both more rugged than a CD/DVD, and - from the pricing posted - cheaper.

-----Burton

I think I'll just get a couple more memory cards. Memory cards aren't that cheap for me tho. I use Sandisk Extreme III and a 1 GB card as of today is $109 Cdn.

Lost me too - I don't WANT them messing with my files, I WANT the raw ones.

Still, I think the suggestion to invest in a couple other cards makes a lot of sense. They are both more rugged than a CD/DVD, and - from the pricing posted - cheaper.

-----Burton

Are you talking about taking files in RAW format? If you are, then you must know how large these files can be. My husband has a 5 MP camera and can only put 93 RAW files on a 1 GB memory card and 370+ JPG files on 1 GB. If your camera is a higher MP camera, then the files would be even larger. If you take pictures the way we do, that would mean a LOT of cards.

BTW, on the Coral last year it cost $40 to download all files for a week, which is a pretty good deal. We went with the Roadstor though since there were 4 of us taking pictures.

I thstill think it is clear, the OP was asking about photos to DVD which is not offered on the menu at the photo desk.

"OK, go with the logic on this one.

If they do, you will get a DVD with ALL your raw photos without editing."

The ship now works with memory cards to make photo CD's.

The ship has staff running around the ship with digital Mini DV cameras. They then edit a "movie" that is duped to VHS tape and burnned to DVD.

To burn photos to DVD's, A DIFFERENT SOFTWARE PROGRAM is needed. Although they have the hardware to do what you want, they may not be able to do the job.

Although they have the hardware to do what you want, they may not be able to do the job.

I understand what you are saying, but the same programs that burn CDs (from the basic program included with the OS on up) can also burn DVDs.

-----Burton

I understand what you are saying, but the same programs that burn CDs (from the basic program included with the OS on up) can also burn DVDs. -----Burton

Just because they could / would have capability to burn DVDs they may choose not to because of lack of demand, media cost, time.. ?? As more folks show up with the multi-GB cards (like the OP) then maybe they will consider it, given people like the OP would not like paying for three CDs to dump her one memory card. :(

My take is, people with higher capacity cameras and media cards probably tend to first carry more memory (I now take 5.5 GB) and their own capacity to offload (I carry a laptop).

I donot know what the discussion of RAW pictures is about. On the media they are stored in the format you specify or is set by the camera (Usually .JPEG or .TIFF). Processing you do after downloading, like resizing, enhancing, cropping, is up to the individual. Some cameras allow you to rotate the image in the camera for instance. I take the use of RAW image to be a pre-processed image.

I donot know what the discussion of RAW pictures is about. On the media they are stored in the format you specify or is set by the camera (Usually .JPEG or .TIFF). Processing you do after downloading, like resizing, enhancing, cropping, is up to the individual. Some cameras allow you to rotate the image in the camera for instance. I take the use of RAW image to be a pre-processed image.

Most digital SLRs and all professional level cameras allow you to record pictures in RAW format as well as JPEG and TIFF. RAW pictures allow much more control over editing of things such as white balance, contrast, etc. The run of the mill digital camera does not offer this option. The files are HUGE compared to JPEG files. If you take pictures in this format then 5.5 GB of memory will store about 500 pictures - not many for a 7+ day cruise.

Actually, I mean raw in the sense of unaltered. But, yes, if you are shooting in .raw format you get big files.

OTOP, if you are shooting in .raw format you probably know what you are doing. And the investment in a laptop and download mechanism is already part of your portfolio.

For the general point & shoot user, the best bet is simply to bring enough memory cards. If you are worried about having your whole vacation on one card, then buy smaller cards.

With memory cards, there is a premium price for the largest available (today for SD cards, for example, that's the 4GB cards). But the lower capacity cards pretty much cost the same per GB (although there's a base price of about $10 per card for the electronics).

So 3 512s would cost you about the same as 1 2GB card.

Check card prices at http://www.techbargains.com/ (scroll down about 1/3 and on the left side are links to the appropriate searches at pricegrabber.com)

-----Burton

Over a year ago, I purchased the Delkin BurnAway. It's a all-in-one CD/DVD burner; Player (CD, DVD, MP3). The BurnAway has one button burn capability for almost any camera chip. It can be operated with its battery or on normal AC current. We use it to download all of our photos to DVD each day and also to view these photos on the stateroom TV. The BurnAway will also interface with your home computer with a high speed USB 2.0 port. Each time you insert your camera chip and burn it to DVD or CD, the BurnAway will put these photos in a new folder. This is a great way to help organize your photos.

Curt :)

The vast majority of my shots are with a very old 1.3 Meg Fuji that will only hold about 130 images. I have become very adept at shooting from the hip. That is holding the back of the camera in my palm and just directing the lens towards my subject and triggering the lens with my pinkie. Great candid and spur of the moments caught that would have been lost should I would have taken the time to use the viewfinder or screen.

I take a laptop along that is used for music, movies and games as well as downloading photos. I secure it to the desk and leave a card reader in the port. Each night I take 3-5 minutes to drop the card in, discard obvious junk shots and download the rest. Because I do not compose these photos, they are 99% off center or not level to the subject and need to be edited. This I do when were back at home.

On our Alaska trip last year, over 600 images were kept of our trip.

Archived