Norwegian Star leaving tommorrow a couple of last minute questions

marcyjane

Good Evening,

I'm heading out in the morning for Seattle for Star to Alaska the 21st.

Got a couple of quick question I just thought about.

1. There are two of us going and each will want to have our ship board charges separate. We booked our tours on line with NCL excurison and the conformation of course was for (2) people and the total for two. When we go to board the ship and give them the credit card for the onboard charges will they charge each card or put the total on one card?

2. The restaurants on board which are pay extra and which are free besides the buffet. I'm sorry I can't seem to get them in my head so if someone would list them, I'm going to write them down this time and take with me.

Thanks,

Marcy

Good Evening,

I'm heading out in the morning for Seattle for Star to Alaska the 21st.

Got a couple of quick question I just thought about.

1. There are two of us going and each will want to have our ship board charges separate. We booked our tours on line with NCL excurison and the conformation of course was for (2) people and the total for two. When we go to board the ship and give them the credit card for the onboard charges will they charge each card or put the total on one card?

2. The restaurants on board which are pay extra and which are free besides the buffet. I'm sorry I can't seem to get them in my head so if someone would list them, I'm going to write them down this time and take with me.

Thanks,

Marcy

Here's a listing of restaurants aboard the Norwegian star:

Norwegian Cruise Line pioneered the concept of Freestyle dining, with multiple large restaurants and intimate specialty dining venues. Guests who prefer standard dining, same time every evening, same table and table mates, can notify the maitre d' upon boarding and arrange to do just that. For the rest of us, Freestyle offers a flexibility that allows for a more relaxed dining experience. On the Mexican Riviera itinerary, for example, the ship doesn't leave Acapulco until the wee hours so rather than rush back, you can dine in the main restaurants until 10 p.m., in the Garden Cafe until 9 p.m.(and have snack items until midnight), or in the Blue Lagoon all night. And there is 24 hour room service in case you are just too exhausted from your day's activities to make it to any of the restaurants.

There are two main dining rooms for traditional-style dining, Aqua, located midship, and Versailles, located aft. Both are lovely, with Versailles looking very much like its namesake (lots of gold and gilt and French Renaissance flourishes) while Aqua is contemporary, calm and cool. They each serve the same menu items but cooked slightly differently, with Aqua adding a contemporary flair to old traditions. There are several tables for two in each restaurant, or you can ask to be seated with others if you prefer.

Two of the specialty restaurants, Endless Summer (serving a Tex-Mex menu with items like ribs and burritos) and La Trattoria (Italian pasta and pizza) require reservations but no surcharge.

Ginza, specializing in Asian recipes, has a teppanyaki bar that only seats 12 at one time, so reservations early in the trip are critical, and a sushi bar with a mechanical "train" that delivers a rotating array of morsels. Both are priced a la carte; the main restaurant has a surcharge of $12.50.

Note: The sushi bar offers a $10 "all you can eat" special but the variety is extremely limited. My mother and I ordered a la carte, had the sushi rolls and sashimi that we really wanted, ended up quite full, and paid a lot less than the $10 per person charge for the special.

The SoHo Room serves an eclectic mix of items based on Pacific Rim cuisine, all of which are beautifully prepared and superb. The lamb with a pistachio coating was so good that I regret not going back to that restaurant for another round ... and everyone, just once, has to at least see the tempura cake presentation. I opted for poached pears with mascarpone, which was just light enough to keep me from exploding after such a wonderful meal. The surcharge is $15.

Le Bistro, NCL's signature French restaurant (surcharge $15, $20 if you get the surf and turf), specializes in Continental dining with atmosphere being almost as important as the food. Small, dark, intimate, the ambiance is quiet and romantic, making the menu choices taste all that much better. The signature dessert, a fruit and chocolate fondue, is so good that it's a shame to leave it for last.

Cagney's Steakhouse is located at the top of the ship and replicates a typical high-end steak-and-chop house, with white linens and a clubby feel. The Star Bar, located adjacent, is a quiet, dark, intimate place to sit before or after dinner, looking out at the neon palms that line the pool area.

Blue Lagoon, the 24-hour dining spot, is wonderful despite its limited menu. It's located in a passageway so people wander through it as you munch, but the table areas are separated from the walkway and it's a great people-watching spot. It's also a great place to get big, juicy chicken wings at 3 a.m. if you want them, or a bowl of chili, fish and chips, or a big burger and fries, all cooked to order and fresh.

The Bier Garten, located high above the pool deck, serves Bavarian fare (wurst, pretzels) during the afternoon. It's a lovely place to perch when it isn't too windy outside.

The Garden Cafe, the ship's buffet/cafeteria restaurant, is located on the Lido Deck aft, serving the usual breakfast and lunch fare, casual dinners, and light snacks the rest of the day and night. Omelet and waffle stations are available for breakfast, and at lunchtime, the port side becomes a vegetarian station, with fresh salads, steamed vegetables, and a variety of freshly prepared Indian and Middle East dishes. That same port side is transformed into La Trattoria at night, the pasta and pizza restaurant.

Room service is minimal with mostly cold items, sandwiches and salads available 24 hours, and Continental breakfast ordered with a door-hung card the night before.

As per your other question:

You will both be give seperate key cards also used as your on board credit card. I would imagine upon boarding you can explain your situation to whoever checks you in. You can probably leave two seperate cards.:)

When you get to the counter at check in they'll do it for you then, assign one credit card to one 'room key'. You may need to go to the pursers desk to have them separate the charge for your excursion. I'd wait until the next day as the pursers desk can be kind of busy the first day - head down there before breakfast.

I don't have information on the on board restaurants but someone will.

Marcy - if you're still on here, or check before you depart - I want to wish you a wonderful cruise. I hope the weather in Seattle is just as perfect on Sunday as it is right now. I'll probably see you, either at the pier, or as you pass by my neighborhood after you set sail.

Take good care of the Star - we will be on her again 4 weeks after you depart.

Hikini:D

Archived