Playa Uvas

rscima

We spent a lovely day last week at Playa Uvas. We had reservations for Tuesday, but our ship had problems and wouldn't arrive until Friday. They accepted our delay without any problems. First we went kayaking. I love the see-through kayaks! Then we did 45 minutes of snorkeling. When that was done, we had a wonderful lunch of Chicken Fajitas then my husband and I had an hour long massage!! It was great! Everyone was very friendly and courteous. I highly reccommend this beach when you visit Cozumel.

My husband and I had a great time at Playa Uvas. Even though we were on the cruise we booked directly through Eduardo. Since I am pregnant I couldn't do the snorkeling so we were able to book a different package which worked out perfectly! Carmen was at the entrance and greeted us by name. We loved the clear kayaking. It was very windy and I am pregnant so our guide, Roberto, helped us back to the shore. He was very friendly and brought us to areas so we could see the fish swimming under us. CozumelFeb2009043.jpgWe enjoyed our beef fajitas and virgin Pina Coladas. CozumelFeb2009051.jpg It is a very small beach; however, there are not tons of umbrellas and people that you will find at other beaches. It was very peaceful and just what we were looking for. We didn't want a party beach. I would suggest to bring swimming shoes because when in the water the ground is rocky. CozumelFeb2009036.jpgWe both had a massage, which was very affortable. It was my husband's first professional massage and I think it was his favorite part of the trip. I can't say anything bad about Playa Uvas and the staff. We had a perfect day!!

We visited Playa Uvas last Thursday and had a nice time. Cozumel had 6 ships in that day, 3 Carnival, 2 RCCL, and 1 NCL. By the time we arrived at Playa Uvas, it was 10pm and the place was crowded with people. Carmen greeted us at the front and we got our wristbands.

Our waiter then showed us to the beach. The shore excursion people had taken all the lounging chairs and umbrellas, so they brought us some mats and dining chairs to sit in. He said some lounging chairs would be free in a few minutes, but that never happened.

After about 10 minutes, we were put in a snorkeling group with about 20 people for our tour. The sun was out and the water was very clear. We saw a lot of fish, some stingrays, and a couple octopuses. The current changed halfway through the tour, but it was no problem.

We got back to our chairs, and all the lounges were still full and would stay full until right before we left. They had a good number of shore excurisons running through the beach all day, which kept the place really crowded. We never saw our waiter after the initial meeting, so we got the drinks for ourselves, which did not really bother us. We did some more snorkeling on our own in the afternoon and we saw a lot more.

We left around 3pm to head back to Punta Lagosta. There were multiple taxis available and we were back in about 15 minutes.

Overall it was a nice day, but it was not really that quiet and relaxing with the amount of cruise ship excursions going on.

Wow! I am sorry to hear that. I would have been disappointed too.

I have been twice and have always had a lounger and frequent waiter service. I even got a free henna tatoo and a private snorkel tour last time and I'm an overweight 40 year old:)

There was no probably no chance for a private tours because they were doing groups of 30-40 people every 30 minutes. I kind of wanted to do an excursion that did not feel like a ship tour, but in the end it did.

The waiter brought us our first drinks before our tour, but after that we never saw him. There were no tatoos offered that day and the Uvas store was closed as well. I felt bad for the one bartender because he was under siege all day long from rude excursion people who were trying to get him to make exceptions to the drinks they could get.

The snorkeling was great. It was my first time and I loved it. Being close to the shore I think was an easier experience than being on a boat for my first time.

Edited by ktpc2005

We've booked Playa Uvas for the middle of March, and port is pretty well filled up that day, too...

From reading a few of the posts, it sounds like the "open bar" isn't really an open bar. What drinks are included in the package...and which ones aren't?

I don't know which ones you were reading but if you get open bar along with one your packages you can get whatever drink of choice that you like..

I just booked Playa Uvas, the all inclusive kayak/snorkel day, for April. There will be 4 cruise ships in Coz that day, so I'm a bit concerned because I have read that Uvas can get pretty crowded. But we really want some good snorkeling, and the reviews here are so positive, that we decided on Uvas anyway. I am so excited!!!

We were there last Friday with 4 ships in port. Uvas was not that crowded. The service there was excellent. We had Keiko as our waiter. He was great. Always coming to check on us. DH did the snorkling tour and enjoyed every minute of it. I had a massage while there. I think that was one of the best I ever had. I was like a wet noodle when done.:D We did not have any problem getting drinks we wanted, although we drank the usual stuff. The only thing that bugged me was that I wanted to use the pool but the water was too cold. We would definetly go back there. It was a very relaxing day.

We were a party of 5 at Uvas on Feb 19th and it was terrific. Even though it was overcast, the temps were nice and warm and we all had a perfect beach day. Carmen greeted us by name as soon as we piled out of our taxi and introduced us to Keiko who was our waiter for the day. He took us right down to the front row of loungers and umbrellas and set us up with floaties to lie on as well. And let me say, he kept the drinks coming too! Plus, he was ready with our food as soon as we were. He even brought us a "tide-me-over" order of chips and guacamole to our loungers. A bargain at just $4 for a big bowl of fantastic guacamole, fresh tortilla chips, and salsa!

Because of the weather conditions, we oped out of snorkeling, but all 4 gals had massages and they were the perfect addition to a wonderful relaxing beach day.

Ship tours do come and go throughout the day, but they are handled so discreetly and efficiently by the Uvas staff, that honestly, they had zero impact on our day there. I can't say enough about the terrific service and friendly atmosphere at Playa Uvas. We'll be back again, that's for sure! The all-inclusive day pass was a great deal and I highly recommend it if you want to be guaranteed the best loungers and umbrellas.

i just got back from UVAS last week on the 3rd. I was dissapointed. Sharp Broken glass all over the beach. My DD was "collecting" beer bottle sea shells the entire time. next time I'm not messing around, it'll be paradise beach for sure. :(

Wow, there was no broken glass either time I went to Uvas. The beach area was kept VERY clean by the Uvas crew. Perhaps your daughter collected her glass from an area next to Uvas? I would think with all that broken glass, many people would have cut themselves so perhaps there really wasn't that much around?

Edited by Stillfloatin'

Trust me, we had to ensure shoes were on the entire time. it wasn't just one bottle either, different colors thicknesses etc. I found a lot myself as well. it wasn't just the kids. Generally it just didn't live up to my expectations, the sand wasn't nearly as nice as other beaches I've been to. it didn't ruin my vacation or anything, with so many beach choices in Cozumel, there is just no reason to go back.

Hey dory!! Let us know if you have any questions. We will try to help you out on here! You will love Playa Uvas. I loved it there!:D

thanks a lot. we love to snorkel and will have our own goggles and mouth thing. are the vests required? what about fins? my h is a big guy (5x) so i think i should get him his own life vest. is it better to book online prior to cruising or can we just show up at the port as i read on someone else post? which package would you suggest for us? and i do not see kyacking in our future do to h's size.

I would definitely book online. That way, you're guaranteed a spot and you'll get extra special attention from Carmen and the gang. Not that they don't give great service to all their guests, it's just that if you book in advance, they will be expecting you and will have everything arranged in advance to optimize your day at Uvas.

thanks a lot. we love to snorkel and will have our own goggles and mouth thing. are the vests required? what about fins? my h is a big guy (5x) so i think i should get him his own life vest. is it better to book online prior to cruising or can we just show up at the port as i read on someone else post? which package would you suggest for us? and i do not see kyacking in our future do to h's size.

I booked DH the snorkle, lunch and open bar and for myself just lunch and open bar. They have several packages available. Check out there website for the prices and reservations. A little tip: If you do not won't to pay extra for the snorkeling just get a package without it and you can snorkel on your own. Just watch were the group is going. :)

I apologize for my delay in getting back to you. I recently had my wisdom teeth removed and I haven't been feeling well.

To anwer your questions, i would suggest that you go ahead and reserve online that way everyone at Playa Uvas will be expecting you. I would also recommend in getting the AUV-3 package. It includes a guided snorkel tour, lunch and open bar for only $39.00!!

Regarding the life vest, it is mandatory that you where one during the guided snorkel tour and I would suggest that you buy one for your husband and bring it with you. If you want to double check w/eduardo feel free to email him.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask!! :D

Just wanted to report back how much we enjoyed Playa Uvas. Booked the all-inclusive pass online prior to our 3/5 Century cruise based on all the raves on CC. Glad we did! Quick $10 cab ride and we were there. Carmen greeted us by name and showed us where to wait for our guide. Reyes our guide for both kayaking and snorkeling was great! I was pretty nervous about snorkeling (couldn't manage to put my face under water and swim at the same time) so he pulled me around on the ring!!

After the tours (which only included 4 other people) we had a great fajita lunch in the shade. I asked for some hot sauce and was glad I tasted it before I put a lot on my tortilla - whew was it ever hot! I had several margaritas and dh enjoyed some Dos Equis. Never any trouble getting our waiter's attention - he was great also. We didn't spend anytime on the beach as we wanted to get in to town and do some shopping. Cabs were waiting right out front and took us to Forum Shops for $15.

We had a lovely time at Playa Uvas and would recommend it highly.