Playa Uvas

rscima

I asked for some hot sauce and was glad I tasted it before I put a lot on my tortilla - whew was it ever hot!

I asked for hot sauce too and was warned it was habeneros, so I knew it was going to be a scorcher, so we used it very very carefully. But the flavor was great so we were happy to have it. A little bit goes a long way! :D

We just returned from a cruise on the Fantasy on Monday (3/2) after a rough ride home. However our day at Playa Uvas was the highlight of the trip. We were a family group of 15 with ages 7 - 82. Because the cruise shore excursion wouldn't let us sign up the 7 year old for snorkeling, we reserved the "Playa Uvas Snorkel, Lunch and Open Bar Pass" directly through email. Check their website at http://www.playauvas.com

We had a prompt reply from Eduardo Esquer confirming reservations. $39.00 per adult, $27 per child under 12, and $7 for the entrance fee (it's part of the National Marine Reef Park) for Grandma. They didn't tell us that $7 fee included a free drink - Grandma chose the margarita! We took cabs from Cozumel (prices are posted and are per cab not per person) for the short ride to the beach and were quickly signed in by Carmen at the front desk. She watched out for us the whole time and made sure everyone was happy.

After a swim in the incredibly clear water, we were all gathered together for the snorkeling. There were about 20 people total (including several who were there through the cruise excursion). After a walk down the beach, (with a picture on the way) a quick and easy lesson in use of the equipment (which even the 7 year old mastered), we headed into the water for an amazing guided tour of the reef. Our guide dove and brought up giant star fish, showed us eels and stingrays, led us to a fresh water cenote' underwater filled with bright yellow fish, and much much more. It took about an hour to get back to the beach and was just the right amount of time for beginners and those of us who don't walk as much as we should, much less flip flippers on a regular basis.

As soon as we returned we were handed the first of many drinks (margaritas, pina coladas and beer on tap). The waiters were very attentive and our glasses were never empty. We sat down to our lunch (fajitas, fish, and burgers and fries for the kids) which was very tasty and as the drinks kept coming, we relaxed on the beach, swam some more and took walks along the shore to collect shells and coral and sea urchins.

Several of us were not thrilled with our pictures but we asked to have him take it again with the whole family and we were quickly accommodated. That picture came back very quickly and was very good - we bought 4 copies! We headed out at around 2:30 to get in a bit of shopping at the pier. Everyone agreed it was a great time and totally worth the money. It took a bit of a leap of faith for us to venture out on our own but it was to sooooo worth it.

I'm sorry I don't remember the names of the guides and waiters and other helpers - they were all wonderful and deserve mention. The beach was quiet, clean and family friendly. Carmen was available to answer questions, guide us and make our stay enjoyable. Cabs were waiting for us as we were ready to leave. I don't usually write such long replies but this place was special and deserves to be mentioned. We all agreed that if we could spend a whole vacation at Playa Uvas we would be happy.

RE the life vest:

My wife and friend with me are competitive swimmers and experienced snorkelers. They asked if the needed to wear the life vests and they were told they were recommended, but not required. Both of them did not wear them.

Do you have to book the snorkeling package to snorkel there or can you bring your own snorkel gears and snorkel? Do they require that you have a vest?

No you do not have to book the snorkeling package and yes you can bring your own gear. Not sure about the vest. I would think if you booked with them they would want you to wear it.

Were there easy entrances into the ocean to swim from the beach? Was the place over run at anytime by cruise excursions? Were there plenty of spots down on the beach that had shade? Not too crowded? We will be arriving in two weeks and I am still not sure if this is the right place, we have been many times to Cozumel, but never here. Thanks.

Were there easy entrances into the ocean to swim from the beach? Was the place over run at anytime by cruise excursions? Were there plenty of spots down on the beach that had shade? Not too crowded? We will be arriving in two weeks and I am still not sure if this is the right place, we have been many times to Cozumel, but never here. Thanks.

They had sand bags to help you enter the water. They also have lounge chairs and umbrellas and it was not crowded at all when we were there last month. The service was great and so was the food. DH really enjoyed the snorkeling there and I really enjoyed the drinks.:D

Not much shade around unless you bring or get an umbrella. If you are just sitting there you may think that it may be to crowded when the cruise excursions come through, but they go and do their thing and leave. They don't bother me at all.

Are you planning on doing any activities while you are there?? Or just sit & relax?? Most people go to Playa Uvas to go snorkeling or kayaking.

Yes, we are there to kyak, snorkle, eat, drink and relax, we are there for the works. Been to Cozumel many times and just want to relax and enjoy in a quiet place.

Good!! I have posted their link to their prices for their packages somewhere on this thread-- but if you ever want to vist their website it's playauvas.com

I hope you enjoy it there.

Edited by lady in tx

Is there parasailing available anywhere nearby Uvas? I'm excited about the relaxing, kayaking and snorkeling we'll get to do there, but I was really hoping to get to parasail in Cozumel. Thanks!!!

Adriana

Adriana-

According to their website in the FAQ section:

5.- Do you offer parasailing at Playa Uvas?

Sorry, but we are unable to have parasailing at Uvas because we are located inside the Chankanaab Reef Marine National park, and because of environmental protection, loud boats needed for parasailing are not allowed in the area.

I don't think you will find anything nearby Playa Uvas to do parasailing. You may have to go a little ways out of the Chankanaab Reef Marine area.

I hope this answers your question.

We were on the Freedom of the Seas RC and booked an excursion directly from Playa Uvas on the internet. We ended up arriving late, but they were expecting us, and didn't comment on our tardiness. WE also had originally booked for snokelling, but opted to change it to glass bottom kayaking b/c it was a bit cool, and my daughter, age 9, was reluctant to snokel.

We were given instructrions by our guide before entering the water. He also had food to feed the fish. We had brought some bananas, but didn't need them because he had more than enough food. The guide was very knowledgable, friendly, and patient. He explained all the diffierent corals to us. We saw a lot of fish, but unfortunately, most were the same, blue tongue or parrot is what I think they were. We did see some that looked like angelfish but came and went so qiuickly we didn't get much of a view; this couldn't be controlled of course!

Thank heavens we didn't go snorkeling that day b/c a lot of people got stung from jellyfish, not only there, but all over the island. So if it is windy you may want to ask when you arrive about the jellyfish and could opt to do glass bottom boating instead.

The one problem we did have was that there was mold on some of the seats in the kayaks. I didn't realize until it was too late. My daughter had just bought a new white swim 'shirt' and the back has quite a large mold stain. I recommend you wear an older Tshirt over your bathing suits to be on the safe side.

I would recommend this excusion. We didn't stay as long as we should have because it wasn't that warm, and we had spent some of the day shopping. You could make a day of it if you were to get the bar and lunch deal.

We have been to Playa Uvas before and loved it. It is truly one of my favorite places on earth! The service is immpeccable (sp?). We are going back to Cozumel in September and when I mentioned Playa Uvas, my husband was a little reluctant. He remembered the flies. Has anyone noticed flies lately? I'm hoping it was just a fluke the day we were there, because I would really love to go back.

We went in the last week of March. I read the reviews and the price seemed great. We kind of had an over cast day.

Everyone seemed a little off the day we were there. Alot of tours got cancelled on the other side of the island due to the wind and waves. And the re-routed the all here. This reasort does a lot of snorkel tours. We didn't have anyone wait on us. We had to go to the bar for our drinks. I think the waiter who was suppose to wait on us, was serving all these groups lunch. He asked us if we could wait to eat until it slowed down, we were fine with it. You could tell everyone was real busy.

One thing I thought was disappointing was the pics and what it really looks like. There discription, was very Miami. Nope, there was no mistakeing that you were in Mexico. A little run down. Pool, very small and mostly in the shade...furniture run down..food was ok...but price was low. You weigh it out. I think if I didn't it again, I would pay the little more and go to the Westin.

I've been there before and by all means this place is not run down. Playa Uvas is always working constantly to keep Playa Uvas looking great.

I have posted several pictures of Playa Uvas and they are always working incredibly hard to have Playa Uvas looking great. Their gardens are always well kept as well as the beach, restaurant, bathrooms, bar, massage area, etc,.

Scout--enlighten me with some pictures that this place is run down. I have never been to miami before so i can't comment on that but heck you are in mexico and Playa Uvas is a very beautiful place and very well kept by it's owners. I would rather go there any day then any of the other places in the island.

Edited by lady in tx

We have been to Playa Uvas before and loved it. It is truly one of my favorite places on earth! The service is immpeccable (sp?). We are going back to Cozumel in September and when I mentioned Playa Uvas, my husband was a little reluctant. He remembered the flies. Has anyone noticed flies lately? I'm hoping it was just a fluke the day we were there, because I would really love to go back.

The last couple of times that i have been there i've never noticed the flies. I would suggest sending an email to Eduardo asking him if the area tends to have any problems in September. I was there in August a while back and had no problems with flies.

I have to agree with lady in tx, my friends and I have been to Uvas twice, the most recent just a couple of months ago, and the place was in excellent condition. The bathrooms are very clean, the spa area is beautiful, the bar and restaurant area are clean, and the beach area has no trash or junk on it at all. I don't know what Scout can possibly be referring to, but this place is very well maintained.

We just returned from Cozumel and spent another wonderful day at Playa Uvas. This is the 3rd time we been to the facility. The service is excellent. The facilities are clean. The food is great. I highly recommend.

Hi Laura! How are you? How's your hubby?

we've also been to Uvas 3-4 times, and we'll be going back in May cause my better half wants to scuba dive with Luis; I'll stay behind, hanging out at Uvas reading a good book and enjoying a few delicious margaritas :D, while he gets back. Then, we'll eat something yummy and get massages :D! Oh yeah!

Thank God that Uvas doesn't resemble like a few of the places in Miami, (where we've been too), and yes, absolutely, Miami is very beautiful, but, I'll tell you, the hotel and the beach club we stayed, everything looked fake. At Uvas, the wood is real wood, the ocean has a beautiful,, natural reef, the palapas are made with natural material, the grass is grass LOL, the staff is incredibly professional and helpful!

Just wanted to let you all know I've posted some picutres of our recent trip to Cozumel/Playa Uvas online. We sailed on the CCL Legend on 3/15/09. We had a great beach day...even ended up with a couple great henna tatoos! The food was great, snorkeling was wonderful and the staff was amazing. Feel free to take a look.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dreamfinder222/Day3Cozumel#

Edited by dreamfinder222

Check out their website...just google playa uvas. Fill out their online form and you'll get an email confirmation. You'll pay when you arrive. The package we chose (#3, I think) included snorkeling, lunch and open bar...it was $39/person.

It was a great experience!!!

Hi Laura! How are you? How's your hubby?

we've also been to Uvas 3-4 times, and we'll be going back in May cause my better half wants to scuba dive with Luis; I'll stay behind, hanging out at Uvas reading a good book and enjoying a few delicious margaritas :D, while he gets back. Then, we'll eat something yummy and get massages :D! Oh yeah!

Thank God that Uvas doesn't resemble like a few of the places in Miami, (where we've been too), and yes, absolutely, Miami is very beautiful, but, I'll tell you, the hotel and the beach club we stayed, everything looked fake. At Uvas, the wood is real wood, the ocean has a beautiful,, natural reef, the palapas are made with natural material, the grass is grass LOL, the staff is incredibly professional and helpful!

Hey!! We're doing good!! We're just trying to figure out if we want to do a land vacation or go on a cruise this year or next year! Man, I would love to scuba but i'm so afraid to try it! LOL I bet your hubby sees some amazing stuff!!

How are you and your dh doing?? I'm so jealous!! Your going back in May!

Tell Eduardo & Carmen Hello for me will ya??:)

Just wanted to let you all know I've posted some picutres of our recent trip to Cozumel/Playa Uvas online. We sailed on the CCL Legend on 3/15/09. We had a great beach day...even ended up with a couple great henna tatoos! The food was great, snorkeling was wonderful and the staff was amazing. Feel free to take a look.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dreamfinder222/Day3Cozumel#

Thanks for posting pics!! Love em!!

Glad to have read that you had a great time!