Playa Uvas

rscima

Sorry Sally,

I hadn't really thought about it, and it was a very small amount of food, but I'm sure that you are correct. I would not want to harm this beautiful site in any way. :o

As far as I know, the clear kayaks are only for the tours, because the day that we were there, there was a couple sitting beside us and they wanted to rent one, but they ended up doing the tour. As for the rocks, the majority of them are at the water entry , but to throw a ball and play in the water, I would recommend you wear water shoes, because being that the reef is right across, there are some rocks and fish here and there.

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can use the clear Kayaks on your own or do you have to go with a tour?

Also is there enough beach in the water to throw a football around or is it pretty rocky?

Thank you!

The only slight disappointment was that I hadn't notice anyone on here mention that you have to pay to rent the beach beds, I thought that they were first come, first serve when I saw the pictures of them.

Is there a charge for the teak loungers too? Were the chairs you did ultimately use comfortable? TIA

Is there a charge for the teak loungers too? Were the chairs you did ultimately use comfortable? TIA

I am definitely looking foward to using the teak loungers and hope there isnt a rental fee.... Thanks for the information on the beds Diana.

I only saw the charge for the beds. The loungers on the beach were plastic, not very comfy, but ok. I only sat on them for a few min. though. We were mostly in the water at the beach before our tour, then went in the pool a bit...but it was cold. We sat in the open air, but covered restaurant for lunch, and beverages, as we had gotten a bit too much sun on the two days prior.:eek:

I'll be taking my kids to Paradise Beach as usual to play on the water toys, but I would like to hop over to Playa Uvas just to take a look and to check out this jewelry I have been hearing so much about. Does anyone know if they allow people to come in and buy jewelry without paying the admission fee?

I'll be taking my kids to Paradise Beach as usual to play on the water toys, but I would like to hop over to Playa Uvas just to take a look and to check out this jewelry I have been hearing so much about. Does anyone know if they allow people to come in and buy jewelry without paying the admission fee?

Email Eduardo and ask. Depending on reservations for the day you're planning to visit, he may be able to accomodate you with a property tour.

Admission is $7 per person (adult...children are free) and includes a welcome drink, so if you *do* have to pay at least you get a drink!

Off topic:

For those of you who have already visited Uvas...today is CARMEN's birthday! Drop her a birthday greeting at
! :D

I just want to interject here, having stumbled upon this thread looking for a good, laid back beach area to visit while spending a day in Cozumel in May while aboard the Carnival Fantasy.

The very first Caribbean trip I ever made was in 1982 to Cozumel Mexico. I was not a certified diver at that time, but that trip convinced me I certainly needed to be and I got certified the summer after. I'll never forget staying at at Hotel named the Cantarell (which I'm sure has been torn down and replaced many years ago). We we snorkeling along the iron shore there at the hotel and the waiters at the beach restaurant walked out to water and started throwing bread all around us. Immediately we were surrounded by fish (and the ever present Sgt. Majors which can be pretty aggressive little buggers when they are hungry). We we delighted, of course, being that we were first time snorkelers and we just about couldn't believe what we were seeing. It never occurred to us, and surely not to the waiters there at the hotel restaurante, that they were doing anything illegal....they were only trying to show us the wonders of the sea and delight the Gringos about the beauty of their fair island.

I understand totally, now, of course, what this issue is about, and I concur that humans need to avoid altering the natural order of nature, but maybe the fish feeding was really more about wanting to entertain the guests and was a bit naive on the part of the people who worked there....? Just wondering, perhaps they, too, need a break.

One other small question....if people are concerned about feeding the fish, how in the world can people justify swimming with captive dolphins? Maybe this question is out of context, but the point is the same when it comes to the natural order and what we do to it for our own entertainment.

And now speaking of the latter, those wonderful beach beds look pretty inviting and for $10 for a whole day, with a cool Pina Colada or a Margarita....h-m-m. THAT isn't interfering with the natural order other than the buzz that I get from the Tequila...

Peace....

Thanks for the quick update Eduardo...tho IMHO maybe the poor guide was just trying to satisfy the guests...

I notice that people seem really PO when they go snorkeling and the fish are not spectacular or even when Nature kicks up a storm and water is murky or whatever (see the Paradise Beach thread)

IMHO we have to remember this is nature...not Disney World...there are man made 'tropical lagoons' and more in Orlando, all pristine and ready for action every day, but this is Nature

I hope that the people so quick to jump on this will also search out the many many many reviews and trip reports and port posts I have read here that say "we took cereal from the ship and the fish gathered around"...etc....there are many people who think this is the WAY to snorkel....

I do think that Uvas has a pretty eco-friendly profile....no motorized stuff, sea kayaks and snorkeling...maybe on a not so great day people will just have to suck it up instead of demanding more spectacular fish??

Recovering from Wilma has been hard on South Florida...how much harder it must have been for this small island where the storm SAT on them for ? 60 hours or whatever....so hard...and they seem to be doing a good job

As for Dolphins....why bring that in>>???? IMHO if you go to movies with kid actors and animal actors that is the same thing...as long as the particular place is run well and safe. I just saw a picture of Dakota Fanning holding a small piglet at a Premiere of "Charlotte's Web"....does that exploit animals and kids???

There are many causes to fight...tho I am going on vacation to have fun. IF you come to Ft Lauderdale and rent a boat I hope you follow the no wake zones and Manatee zones....our big beautiful sea creatures have been so decimated by jerks racing around on boats and jet skis. Our coral is destroyed, the Everglades are in peril..so wherever you go there are things to watch out for.

Hopefully Eduardo's sincere answer has helped ease people's minds here. He seems very proactive and that is a good thing. Kudos to you Ed

Thanks for the quick update Eduardo...tho IMHO maybe the poor guide was just trying to satisfy the guests...

I notice that people seem really PO when they go snorkeling and the fish are not spectacular or even when Nature kicks up a storm and water is murky or whatever (see the Paradise Beach thread)

IMHO we have to remember this is nature...not Disney World...there are man made 'tropical lagoons' and more in Orlando, all pristine and ready for action every day, but this is Nature

I hope that the people so quick to jump on this will also search out the many many many reviews and trip reports and port posts I have read here that say "we took cereal from the ship and the fish gathered around"...etc....there are many people who think this is the WAY to snorkel....

I do think that Uvas has a pretty eco-friendly profile....no motorized stuff, sea kayaks and snorkeling...maybe on a not so great day people will just have to suck it up instead of demanding more spectacular fish??

Recovering from Wilma has been hard on South Florida...how much harder it must have been for this small island where the storm SAT on them for ? 60 hours or whatever....so hard...and they seem to be doing a good job

As for Dolphins....why bring that in>>???? IMHO if you go to movies with kid actors and animal actors that is the same thing...as long as the particular place is run well and safe. I just saw a picture of Dakota Fanning holding a small piglet at a Premiere of "Charlotte's Web"....does that exploit animals and kids???

There are many causes to fight...tho I am going on vacation to have fun. IF you come to Ft Lauderdale and rent a boat I hope you follow the no wake zones and Manatee zones....our big beautiful sea creatures have been so decimated by jerks racing around on boats and jet skis. Our coral is destroyed, the Everglades are in peril..so wherever you go there are things to watch out for.

Hopefully Eduardo's sincere answer has helped ease people's minds here. He seems very proactive and that is a good thing. Kudos to you Ed

Actually, why I broached that subject was for example purposes only, and as you put it, there are LOTS of causes to fight for....the analogy I was trying to compare is the "sin" of fish feeding vs. the use of captive dolphin activities for the purpose or amusement, entertainment, etc. (One would have to explore the issues surrounding the capture and treatment of them to really understand it I guess). It was a scope and magnitude example. To me, fish feeding seems a pretty minor offense, all things considered. The management at Uvas seems to be duly chastised, from what I can tell by reading their responses.

You can BET I'd watch out for those beautiful manatees! And I think we'll try to visit Uvas when we go in May. I'll let you know if we get swarmed by the Sgt. Majors!

Thanks Stircrazy for sharing your pics! I enjoyed talking a look! :)

I'd figure I would ask you since you have gotten massages, but my mom will be coming with me & I want her to get a massage by Luz, on the pics i saw where Luz was giving someone a massage, can she make her a tent more private or no? I'm not sure if you've already answered this, but if you have, sorry! =)

Here's a photo of the massage cabana that shows the curtains. My 20 year old is a massage enthusiast and prefers a more private setting. No problem for Luz, she just pulled the curtains after I took the photo.

Luz will make your Mama comfortable. Just tell your Mom to let Luz know about the pressure and the privacy. Many people don't like to tell a therapist to ease up or to bear down, but it's all in the day's work for the professional therapist.

Stircrzy... and all who have answers,

I see you have cruised Ecstasy quite a few times and it looks like you have been where we are interested in going. Playa Uvas.

I have some questions for you.

If we booked through Ecstasy, Does Ecstasy use Playa Uvas as their Clear Kayak excursion??

We have some who want to dive and snorkel ...Can we all go out on a boat and some snorkel and some dive??

How is the snorkeling off the beach?

How much is a massage?

Do you have pics of the jewerly sold there? I am sure I will have more but we will start with this.

Thank you bunches!

If we booked through Ecstasy, Does Ecstasy use Playa Uvas as their Clear Kayak excursion?? We have some who want to dive and snorkel ...Can we all go out on a boat and some snorkel and some dive??

I think Playa Uvas has the only clear kayaks on the Island, but to be sure about the clear kayaks and the snorkle/dive combo you might want to email Eduardo for additional information. They do have their own on-site dive shop, in addition to the Clear Kayaks.

How is the snorkeling off the beach?

I didn't snorkle when I was there March 3, but check out the recent reviews in this thread...HERE.

How much is a massage?

Luz does several different types of massage, and in 30 minute increments. She also does a "demo", if you'd like to try more than one method.

Prices range from $35 to $60.

Do you have pics of the jewerly sold there?

Of course I do! :D Click HERE for Sol's Jewelry at Playa Uvas.

Thank you bunches!

You are quite welcome!

I see you're traveling over my birthday weekend...have a wonderful time!

Thank you so much....Looks like I am gonna go broke in just the jewerly dept. I collect things in colbalt blue. We are traveling with ..as of right now...4 couples. So I am trying to find place where everyone will be happy. We want to clear kayak /snorkel, some want to dive and some want to see the ruins. One friend tried to snorkel last time we were in Cozumel bt she doesn't know how to swim and she freaked out. I was hoping this time she could take her time and gradually wade out and try it agian. I think she'd enjoy it. Thank you for your comments and I will have to make a toast to you on your B-day!

Thank you so much....Looks like I am gonna go broke in just the jewerly dept. I collect things in colbalt blue. We are traveling with ..as of right now...4 couples. So I am trying to find place where everyone will be happy. We want to clear kayak /snorkel, some want to dive and some want to see the ruins. One friend tried to snorkel last time we were in Cozumel bt she doesn't know how to swim and she freaked out. I was hoping this time she could take her time and gradually wade out and try it agian. I think she'd enjoy it. Thank you for your comments and I will have to make a toast to you on your B-day!

If you're planning to break the bank on Sol's jewels, you'll need a suitcase to haul your stuff home! She's very reasonable, especially if you buy several pieces.

You may be interested in taking a look at Playa Uva's price list before you decide exactly what you want to do while there.... Uvas Package Price List

About your Freaky Friend...she will be wearing a floatation vest. That rule is strictly enforced. If she does the snorkle tour, there will be a guide beside her at all times, especially if Uvas knows in advance that she is not a swimmer. She might be interested in taking advantage of swimming lessons at the local YMCA during the summer so she'll feel more comfortable in the water while on vacation! She will LOVE the kayak tour...no swimming!!

Who knows?!? I may show up there for my birthday!!

Have a great time!

Thank you for the price list....I want to do EVERYTHING...except dive. Last time we were in Cozumel we did the DuneBuggy tour ( which we loved) and we drove by ,I guess Playa Uvas, and saw the clear kayaks. My Hunny stated then that If ( I knew it was going to be When) we come back that that was what he wanted to do. Time just drags by so slowly.

Strircrazy, I am tired of patiently(ok,:rolleyes: not so patiently ) waiting for your latest review. What's the matter, did your dog eat it?:cool: (I remember reading of your cute dogs) If no review is posted by 5pm on Thursday March15, I must ask for a doctors note excusing you!;) Glad you enjoyed your trip.:) diane

One friend tried to snorkel last time we were in Cozumel bt she doesn't know how to swim and she freaked out. I was hoping this time she could take her time and gradually wade out and try it agian. I think she'd enjoy it.

Tell your friend not to worry. My fiance (doesn't know how to swim) and my best friend(knows how to swim but was scared too!), went snorkeling at Playa Uvas the guide that was taking us snorkeling brought with him a inflatible tube that you can hold onto if you are afraid. My fiance and friend were freaking out so they got ahold of this tube while the guide pulled them! They loved it and enjoyed the time they spent snorkeling there!

So rest assure if your friend(s) :eek: freak out they will bring that tube with them in case they freak/ or get tired they can pull them back ashore.

I hope this helps! Don't forget to bring some suntan lotion w/no paba's!!!

Uh-oh.

I do need a dr.'s excuse, because my allergies have flared up something fierce. Last year at Spring time I didn't have 400 pecan trees budding out...this year I do. Next year I'll look like Michael Jackson 'cause I'm getting a mask to wear outside during the bud out! That or spending March 1 through April 15th on Cozumel Island!! My throat is so sore that I've lost 10 lbs in a week from not being able to swallow...

Let me get started, at least...

We stepped off of the Ecstasy around 9:30 AM on Saturday, March 3, 2007...and felt fortunate to be stepping instead of wheeling.

My mom (73 years old) had broken her foot after my sis-o-stir's wedding in mid-November, ended up having surgery the week before Christmas and in a wheelchair. The end of January brought the ambulance and 4 days in ICU with pulmonary embolisms in both lungs...a result of being sedentary for a month. 10 more days on various floors of the local hospital and she was back at home, still in the wheelchair. Two weeks before our March 1 cruise she was allowed to try the "boot" and a rolling walker. I will never forget seeing her in ICU the first night with the oxygen mask over her face and hooked up to a bunch of lines, the doctor telling us that he was surprised that she was still alive...and hearing from her "I'M GOING ON THAT CRUISE"!

And she did!...along with my 78 year old father, a recent cancer survivor. Also along for the ride were Nelda and Kathryn, my parents friends who are 78 and 71...those were the "Old Folks".

The "Autumn Chickens" were myself, my friend/massage therapist Diane who is 48, my brother and his wife, and my cousin and his wife. This was the brains of the bunch, or at least *I* was.

The NewlyWeds were my 42 year old sis-o-stir and her new hubby...43, but looks 27. We do give her grief over this...and the fact that he has six children between 6 and 19 years of age.

Of the 12 of us traveling together, five had not cruised before and six had not been to Cozumel before.

We rented an air conditioned van with bi-lingual driver from Jacqueline at Cozumel Insider and did a quick tour of the Cozumel Museum...a must see if you haven't done so! We headed across the Island and were surprised to see all of the road construction going on over there. New resorts, a golf course, etc. are in the works! Even talk of a new "town" for the leeward side of the Island. The road to El Cedral was under construction, so we bypassed it for this trip since we've been there before. We headed straight around to Playa Uvas.

We had reservations for 12 for noonish at Playa Uvas...and Carmen and crew were waiting for us at the taxi drop off...waving and laughing as we unloaded old folks, masterminds, and newlyweds. Hugs and kisses were exchanged all around...even though I was the only one who'd visited Playa Uvas before.

I chose Playa Uvas because of my previous experiences and knew that it was a place that I could take my retired law enforcement father, my newly retired and hobbling journalist mother, my favorite brother and cousin and the lovely ladies they married, and my goofy sis-o-stir and her equally goofy new hubby.

As Santos showed us to a loooong table set up overlooking the beach, Eduardo showed up.