Playa Uvas

rscima

Okay - I was sold on this place by the numerous positive messages by the members here. I do have to admit I was not overly impressed, here's why.

Carmen was very delightful and did greet us by name when we arrived.

We must have been a bit late (9:45am) because there was a snorkel and kayak trip out and 80% of the lounge chairs on the beach were taken. We had 4 in our family and was not sure if someone would help us arrange seats so we could all sit together and although there were 2-3 employees standing and looking out at the water, no one seemed to care about our predicament. We finally had a nice lady shift down so we could sit together - but it still kind of bugged me that we were on our own to find seats - there were more stacked chairs available and that was my next resort but thoughts and wording of "royalty" and "treated like family" rang in my mind and employees watched on as we had to find seats.

Oh well. we had a nice seat in the third row and unpacked our belongings and I was thirsty for a non-alcoholic drink or water and thought about what I would order once approached. I waited, and waited and nobody ever came. I literally passed our waiter on the way to and from the bar to get our water and nothing was said - like one recent poster said, I definitely got the impression we were severely ignored.

From there we went on the kayak tour which was good - very good and helpful guides.

When we came back we tried to find a group to go snorkeling with and had a very hard time getting the attention of the several kayak/snorkel crew to get into a group. We were told to wait for the next group, then another person asked us to quickly get our gear and join the group that walked all the way down the beach to the spot where the others we already getting into the water. It added a bit more stress and frustrated me more. We walked very fast to meet up with the group and all went fine from there. The snorkeling and the guide leading us was good.

When we came back we were told our lunch would be ready and we sat down to eat. We ordered margaritas and they were really good! The food was also good, but we I was disappointed there was no guacamole, salsa or chips with the fajitas we ordered. Once we were done eating we went back to the beach to get massages and enjoy the rays. Again, the waiter would NOT come down to serve us drinks. I had to go up and get them on my own - a pain in the but when you are trying to relax. Also, not a biggie but we had to rent towels because we forgot ours - $2 rental and $6 deposit. Oh well!

So, overall I was not impressed. There were about 60-80 people there and just about every chair on the beach was taken, but it was not overly crowded. I really was expecting great service and the service, to me, fell very short of my expectations.

Perhaps they are getting too popular or just burned out but nearly all the staff were not attentive. A true contradiction to some who say "everyone knew my name"

I personally would not go back when we return to Cozumel. I feel little value in the kayak/snorkel trip and lunch and "unlimited" drinks since we spent $240.

Okay - I was sold on this place by the numerous positive messages by the members here. I do have to admit I was not overly impressed, here's why.

We must have been a bit late (9:45am) because there was a snorkel and kayak trip out and 80% of the lounge chairs on the beach were taken. We had 4 in our family and was not sure if someone would help us arrange seats so we could all sit together and although there were 2-3 employees standing and looking out at the water, no one seemed to care about our predicament. We finally had a nice lady shift down so we could sit together - but it still kind of bugged me that we were on our own to find seats - there were more stacked chairs available and that was my next resort but thoughts and wording of "royalty" and "treated like family" rang in my mind and employees watched on as we had to find seats.

Oh well. we had a nice seat in the third row and unpacked our belongings and I was thirsty for a non-alcoholic drink or water and thought about what I would order once approached. I waited, and waited and nobody ever came. I literally passed our waiter on the way to and from the bar to get our water and nothing was said - like one recent poster said, I definitely got the impression we were severely ignored.

From there we went on the kayak tour which was good - very good and helpful guides.

When we came back we tried to find a group to go snorkeling with and had a very hard time getting the attention of the several kayak/snorkel crew to get into a group. We were told to wait for the next group, then another person asked us to quickly get our gear and join the group that walked all the way down the beach to the spot where the others we already getting into the water. It added a bit more stress and frustrated me more. We walked very fast to meet up with the group and all went fine from there. The snorkeling and the guide leading us was good.

When we came back we were told our lunch would be ready and we sat down to eat. We ordered margaritas and they were really good! The food was also good, but we I was disappointed there was no guacamole, salsa or chips with the fajitas we ordered. Once we were done eating we went back to the beach to get massages and enjoy the rays. Again, the waiter would NOT come down to serve us drinks. I had to go up and get them on my own - a pain in the but when you are trying to relax. Also, not a biggie but we had to rent towels because we forgot ours - $2 rental and $6 deposit. Oh well!

So, overall I was not impressed. There were about 60-80 people there and just about every chair on the beach was taken, but it was not overly crowded. I really was expecting great service and the service, to me, fell very short of my expectations.

Perhaps they are getting too popular or just burned out but nearly all the staff were not attentive. A true contradiction to some who say "everyone knew my name"

I personally would not go back when we return to Cozumel. I feel little value in the kayak/snorkel trip and lunch and "unlimited" drinks since we spent $240.

You need to contact Eduardo! (<--click to email)

I know he was out of town for a wedding, but I'm positive he'll want to know of your experience.

There is no excuse for inattentive waiters. There should have been chips, guacamole, and salsa with your fajitas, too.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. It is not the norm for Playa Uvas!

Wow, that is so not the experience we had. No wonder you were disappointed! I can't imagine how that happened because they are usually so wonderful. Please contact Eduardo and let him know. He will NOT be happy about this and will make sure it never happens again to anyone else. Thanks for posting your experience so that this situation can be corrected.

Hey, Thanks for the review, sorry your day in cozumel was a bad one... I agree, with others that at the first problem you should have gone to management.:)

It really was not a bad day and it certianly did not ruin my time in Cozumel - it was just a let down.

I could have told the manager, but does that mean everyone at the place on this day should have done the same? I would suspect the service would have improved, but I should not have to tell the manager - they should have been able to see the wait staff doing very little.

Service and staff is generally what is it. I suspect the people the days before and after received the same level.

Telling the mgt. that service is not up to par - when there are only 2-3 servers - makes me uncomfortable. The conversation would be "that guy and his family complained you are not bringing out drinks to him or helping him find chairs, do a better job" I am not sure of the service I would receive AFTER that conversation.

And again - this was not a large place where there were hundreds of people and I was neglected - I passed our waiter several times with drinks in my hand and he knew where we were sitting. Also, it may have been a misunderstanding on my part - perhaps they don't provide service on the beach area. Not once did the wait staff set foot on the beach area to deliver drinks or provide service - maybe this is their policy.

Also, the place is nice and the snorkel and kayak trips were good - by no means was the place horrible.

It really was not a bad day and it certianly did not ruin my time in Cozumel - it was just a let down.

I could have told the manager, but does that mean everyone at the place on this day should have done the same? I would suspect the service would have improved, but I should not have to tell the manager - they should have been able to see the wait staff doing very little.

Service and staff is generally what is it. I suspect the people the days before and after received the same level.

Telling the mgt. that service is not up to par - when there are only 2-3 servers - makes me uncomfortable. The conversation would be "that guy and his family complained you are not bringing out drinks to him or helping him find chairs, do a better job" I am not sure of the service I would receive AFTER that conversation.

And again - this was not a large place where there were hundreds of people and I was neglected - I passed our waiter several times with drinks in my hand and he knew where we were sitting. Also, it may have been a misunderstanding on my part - perhaps they don't provide service on the beach area. Not once did the wait staff set foot on the beach area to deliver drinks or provide service - maybe this is their policy.

Also, the place is nice and the snorkel and kayak trips were good - by no means was the place horrible.

Hey in no means was I defending the place, glad you posted your review for future travelers.. Did they feed the fish on your kayak tour?

I'm sorry that the service you received at Playa Uvas wasn't the best.

When I went there in Jan. our waiter knew us by name and brought our drinks out to where we were lounging. I don't know if they have changed their policy though. I'm happy to hear you had a great time snorkeling and kayaking. I enjoyed it very much.

Please e-mail Eduardo and let him know about the service you rec'd. I would hate for that to happen again in the future.

had no trouble at all with service. We purchased the all inclusive package and it included towels. We also rented the beach beds and they set them right down as close as you could get to the water. I didn't want to be in a regular beach chair. The bed made it so much nicer. We requested chips and salsa and the waiter brought us drinks and even adjusted my embrella to keep the sun off of me all day. My husband did have to track him down to order more drinks but that was no biggie. The waiter was always easy to locate. As for the snorkeling and kayaking trips, they came to us and told us when they were. They were right after eachother. I didn't even do the snorkeling cuz i was too tired after the kayaking tour. I think that if i had a regular beach chair then it would have been a little different though. I don't think i would have enjoyed it as much. The bed made all the difference.My only complaint is that i wish we had more time there. That's too bad you didn't enjoy it. It was the best excursion we had and we did alot of excursions. I want to go back to cozumel just to go back to playa uvas.:)

I understand your reluctance to bring up the matter during your visit, but please email Eduardo and copy/paste your review. He was gone from the Island during your visit, and I know he will be dismayed that someone was not treated well at Playa Uvas.

Thanks also for letting us know your experience.

I understand your reluctance to bring up the matter during your visit, but please email Eduardo and copy/paste your review. He was gone from the Island during your visit, and I know he will be dismayed that someone was not treated well at Playa Uvas.

Thanks also for letting us know your experience.

Why wouldn't he (Eduardo) reply to his review on here????:confused:

Why wouldn't he (Eduardo) reply to his review on here????:confused:

Who said Eduardo won't reply on here?!?

I don't have a clue if he's even seen the post yet. I know he was going out of town for a family event on the mainland and I don't know what his schedule was for his return.

It's up to MikeyD and Eduardo to resolve this problem. I would hope that MikeyD would return to let us know if it was resolved to his satifaction or if it wasn't, but I don't feel it's mandatory for them to hash it out on a public forum.

All *I* need to know is that there was a problem, it was reported, and it was resolved to the satisfaction of both parties...it isn't necessary for me to be privy to the conversation between the parties involved.

Who said Eduardo won't reply on here?!?

I don't have a clue if he's even seen the post yet. I know he was going out of town for a family event on the mainland and I don't know what his schedule was for his return.

It's up to MikeyD and Eduardoto resolve this problem. I would hope that MikeyD would return to let us know if it was resolved to his satifaction or if it wasn't, but I don't feel it's mandatory for them to hash it out on a public forum.

All *I* need to know is that there was a problem, it was reported, and it was resolved to the satisfaction of both parties...it isn't necessary for me to be privy to the conversation between the parties involved.

I would think that a review is a review, let it ride its up to Eduardo to make it right!!!:)

I know Eduardo monitors these boards, and therefore I will let him read the posting and respond.

Please know I am not out for a "make it right response" I am simply just reporting on my experience at Playa Uvas during my stay.

The beauty of these boards is that people can report on their experience at different locations. Not peoples response after they complain to mgt and send an email to the manager. Please understand this.

Again, it was not horrible, just a let down. There is nothing to apologize for, I still was able to enjoy it!!!

I know Eduardo monitors these boards, and therefore I will let him read the posting and respond.

Please know I am not out for a "make it right response" I am simply just reporting on my experience at Playa Uvas during my stay.

The beauty of these boards is that people can report on their experience at different locations. Not peoples response after they complain to mgt and send an email to the manager. Please understand this.

Again, it was not horrible, just a let down. There is nothing to apologize for, I still was able to enjoy it!!!

Excellent attitude. I'm guessing you manage to enjoy yourself no matter what turns up.

Our group of 20 visited Playa Uvas earlier this month. Instead of a relaxing day, it was a stressful day. Most of our group of 20 had purchased the all inclusive kayak and snorkeling, and lunch package.. Our reservation was for 11 AM, and we arrived at that time. We were not given towels or use of the lockers. We were left to fend for ourselves to try to locate enough chairs to use- and to try to fix broken sun umbrellas. We were told that we would have our kayaking tour in about 40 minutes. Instead, a second group of people was put on before us, even as we were gathered near the kayaks ready to go. Then we were told that 3 more groups from cruiseline tours would be kayaking before us. Since each group took almost an hour that meant we would have to wait 4 hours to use the kayaks. Carmen asked for me to help Playas Uvas out by having me tell our group that we would have to wait for over 70 people to show up and then kayak before us. Only after much consultation with the Playas Uvas management - I was asked by Carmen to leave my chair at the beach- to go to the office to ask for permission from management to schedule kayaking and snorkeling. I had to insist that it was not acceptable to wait 4 hours --only then were we put in the middle of the newcomers. We had even offered to split our group and to take a shorter than standard kayak tour,. Then we were told that even the people in our group that were not snorkeling had to wait for the snorkelers before being allowed to eat. That meant no one in our group ate lunch before 3:30. We also did not think it was advisable to drink alcohol before the watersports, so many of us held off on that as well. I was upset about having so much conflict, and such a crowded place, on what was supposed to be a relaxing beach day. We spent several hundred dollars and were not treated well. Besides the issues I have detailed, there were dozens of people milling around on the waterfront, and we had to wait in the long lines at the bar each time we wanted a drink –even water- until our lunch was served.

I think the website and packages for Playa Uvas are misleading and I will not recommend this beach or company to anyone, because of the poor treatment we received. Based on our experience, It seems that the customers that book directly are treated as second class customers. I am especially upset because I booked these reservations on behalf of our group of friends. Some people in our group were planning to meet (non-cruising) friends in town at 4 PM and missed that opportunity, because of the problems at Playa Uvas. We had made our group reservation 6 weeks ahead of time and were not told that kayaking and snorkeling availability was so limited.

We have taken 5 or 6 cruises and almost always planned and booked our shore plans ourselves, often relying on cruise critic board for recommendations and advice. In all our weeks of cruising this was the first day we have been disappointed in our choice of plans. I am sorry we chose to spend our day at this beach - there are so many other Cozumel options.

I hesitated to write this review because I am generally a positive person, but I think as a cruise critic board user, I, like others, would like to read all opinions, and there were just too many problems here to be ignored. I did email Eduardo about our experiences about a week ago – hopefully the Playas Uvas management will make changes so that others have a better experience. On the positive side, the weather was beautiful, everything else on our cruise and in ports was fun and went well, and we saw no fish feeding or any other environmental concerns at Playa Uvas.

Our group of 20 visited Playa Uvas earlier this month. Instead of a relaxing day, it was a stressful day. Most of our group of 20 had purchased the all inclusive kayak and snorkeling, and lunch package.. Our reservation was for 11 AM, and we arrived at that time. We were not given towels or use of the lockers. We were left to fend for ourselves to try to locate enough chairs to use- and to try to fix broken sun umbrellas. We were told that we would have our kayaking tour in about 40 minutes. Instead, a second group of people was put on before us, even as we were gathered near the kayaks ready to go. Then we were told that 3 more groups from cruiseline tours would be kayaking before us. Since each group took almost an hour that meant we would have to wait 4 hours to use the kayaks. Carmen asked for me to help Playas Uvas out by having me tell our group that we would have to wait for over 70 people to show up and then kayak before us. Only after much consultation with the Playas Uvas management - I was asked by Carmen to leave my chair at the beach- to go to the office to ask for permission from management to schedule kayaking and snorkeling. I had to insist that it was not acceptable to wait 4 hours --only then were we put in the middle of the newcomers. We had even offered to split our group and to take a shorter than standard kayak tour,. Then we were told that even the people in our group that were not snorkeling had to wait for the snorkelers before being allowed to eat. That meant no one in our group ate lunch before 3:30. We also did not think it was advisable to drink alcohol before the watersports, so many of us held off on that as well. I was upset about having so much conflict, and such a crowded place, on what was supposed to be a relaxing beach day. We spent several hundred dollars and were not treated well. Besides the issues I have detailed, there were dozens of people milling around on the waterfront, and we had to wait in the long lines at the bar each time we wanted a drink –even water- until our lunch was served.

I think the website and packages for Playa Uvas are misleading and I will not recommend this beach or company to anyone, because of the poor treatment we received. Based on our experience, It seems that the customers that book directly are treated as second class customers. I am especially upset because I booked these reservations on behalf of our group of friends. Some people in our group were planning to meet (non-cruising) friends in town at 4 PM and missed that opportunity, because of the problems at Playa Uvas. We had made our group reservation 6 weeks ahead of time and were not told that kayaking and snorkeling availability was so limited.

We have taken 5 or 6 cruises and almost always planned and booked our shore plans ourselves, often relying on cruise critic board for recommendations and advice. In all our weeks of cruising this was the first day we have been disappointed in our choice of plans. I am sorry we chose to spend our day at this beach - there are so many other Cozumel options.

I hesitated to write this review because I am generally a positive person, but I think as a cruise critic board user, I, like others, would like to read all opinions, and there were just too many problems here to be ignored. I did email Eduardo about our experiences about a week ago – hopefully the Playas Uvas management will make changes so that others have a better experience. On the positive side, the weather was beautiful, everything else on our cruise and in ports was fun and went well, and we saw no fish feeding or any other environmental concerns at Playa Uvas.

Thanks for posting your review, sorry that the resort didn't live up to the previous reviews posted...:) I would think that it is very difficult for any club on the island to adjust from a 9ship day to a 2 ship day personnel wise, and that probably is how the problems develop. Glad to see that they stood behind their word about not feeding the fish.:)

My large group was there on a March Saturday, with only 3 ships in port. We had a great time.

I'd bet that there will be some meetings going on at Playa Uvas this week.

I'm sorry that your group didn't have a good day.

the fact that it was only the two of us had something to do with it. We had a wonderful time and was treated like royalty. We had some friends from the ship that did other beach excursions with the ship and theirs was way crowded and non personal. It was bad enough getting off the ship with 1000's of other people at the same time and dealing with the massive crowd at the mall. I can't imagine having to do an excursion with 50+ other people at the exact same time at the beach. I think the main problem here is communication. I hope that people aren't turned off from Playa Uvas because of some bad communication and bad experiences from a few customers. No one can make everyone happy 100% of the time. There is always going to be someone unhappy for various reasons and we are all only human afterall.:(

When we were in Playa Uvas last month, it was spring break and there were SEVEN ships in port but Carmen and the entire staff were right on top of things. We were greeted by name, introduced to Santos, our waiter, set up for our kayak excursion, led to our loungers (we didn't want the beds, but they made it clear we could have them if we wished), some of the staff even arranged our umbrella to provide the shade we wanted, and finally, we were asked for our lunch order so that it would be ready after our massages with Sol. There were several ship snorkeling and kayaking excursions run throughout the day by the Playa staff, but they kept it all very organized and uncrowded. We couldn't have been happier.

My wife and I had reservations for the all inclusive with snorkeling at Uvas for 9am on 4/19 but the Ecstasy changed our port day to 4/18. I emailed Eduardo from the ship but to ask him about the changing the reservation and he emailed me saying that it was no problem. We weren't able to get off the ship until 8:45, so we made our way to the taxi stand at the end of the International pier. Got a taxi for a $10 fare and we were standing inside Uvas at exactly 9am. Apparently neither Carmen or Eduardo were there that day so unfortunately we didn't get to meet them. We were greeted by our waiter Rafael. We asked about the about towels and a locker and he said there was a $15 deposit for them. Got our towels and locker key and headed to the beach. We were alone there except for one other couple so we had our choice of where to sit. Rafael immediately took our lunch order, telling us to just let him know when we wanted to eat and he would have it ready for us. He then brought our drinks and when ever our glasses were empty he would be there asking if we wanted another one. Luz came by and we had a great conversation about Cozumel and the people living there. She was very friendly and we enjoyed talking to her. At about 9:30 I went out on my snorkeling tour with four other people. Our guide was great, I believe his name was Jorge but I am not sure about that. This was my first time to snorkel and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. My wife decided not to snorkel but instead had a massage from Luz which she said was fantastic. when I returned from snorkeling I told Rafael we were ready for lunch and ina few minutes we were sitting at our table eating our meal. I had the fish and my wife had the chicken fajitas. Both were great. This was at about 11:30 and by this time the excursion groups from the ships were at the beach but it was not overly crowded. Rafael was very busy at this time so I went to the bar to get our drinks. I did not mind doing this at all and the bartender was great. I kept and my snorkel gear all day and went back out. I was able to swim down to Chakanaab Park and was able to see the dolphins in their pens. I had so much fun snorkeling that i was gone for a couple of hours. We checked out the jewelry and my I bought my wife a very beautiful glass fusion necklace. It was about 2:30 so we had to leave to get back to our ship. Rafael returned our deposit money which I used to tip him and the bartender for their excellent service. The cabs were waiting outside the entrance and in a few minutes we were at the pier to do a little shopping before getting on the ship. We really enjoyed Uvas and would not hesitate to go back there again. Just a few notes: The water just off the beach was very rocky and would highly recommend water shoes. Uvas is really not a beach for children, but the children we saw there seemed to have a good time. Also if you plan to go to Uvas get your reservations on the Uvas website. It costs half as much as the excursion booked through the cruise ship and you are able to stay there as long as you like. Eduardo, if you read this, tell Rafael that Michael and Liby said hello and thanks for making our visit to Uvas so enjoyable. :D :D :D :D

When we were in Playa Uvas last month' date=' it was spring break and there were SEVEN ships in port but Carmen and the entire staff were right on top of things. We were greeted by name, introduced to Santos, our waiter, set up for our kayak excursion, led to our loungers (we didn't want the beds, but they made it clear we could have them if we wished), some of the staff even arranged our umbrella to provide the shade we wanted, and finally, we were asked for our lunch order so that it would be ready after our massages with Sol. There were several ship snorkeling and kayaking excursions run throughout the day by the Playa staff, but they kept it all very organized and uncrowded. We couldn't have been happier.[/quote']

I wonder if we were there are the same day? We did rent the beach bed though. Oh, the person who did the massages was Luz. Sol is the lady who makes the jewelry. We had a fantastic time too. I can't wait to go back.

I wonder if we were there are the same day? We did rent the beach bed though. Oh, the person who did the massages was Luz. Sol is the lady who makes the jewelry. We had a fantastic time too. I can't wait to go back.

March 13th. We were on the Pearl. And I can't believe I mixed up the names. Yes, we had our massage from Luz and bought our jewelry from Sol. Sheesh, too many brain cells died on that cruise!