Port or Starboard cabin for Amazon - Manaus to San Juan

Trece

There are a few itineraries where it can help to be situated on one side or the other of the ship and I was wondering if there were any benefits to either side on this itinerary. Thanks in advance! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, no one has responded, so I'll pitch in. We too like to know which side is the better. We're on the Regal Princess Jan 28th, Manaus to San Juan. We'll be sailing downstream, docking only at 3 ports, Manaus, Boca de Valeria and Santarem, and if the big ships do as the river boats, it will face upstream. Not sure on which side of the river are the ports.

I forget my geography and am not sure about the sun location in Brazil. That influences our choice of cabin, especially if we have a balcony. (We don't on this cruise). In the Caribbean, you never know which side will face the dock, more often than not it's the side where we have our cabin. Of couse, watching the coming and goings on the pier can be interesting.

I haven't helped you much, but hey....Happy Sailing, and have fun!

On our Regal Princess cruise Ft. Lauderdale-Manaus (Upstream!) in April, we docked in Santarem (Portside to port) and Manaus (Starboard to port). The ship was always facing downstream. We didn't stop at Boca da Valeria.

The ship was following the North side of the river - so upstream our starboard cabin was perfect. But downstream I would choose portside (left side of ship). Don't forget your binoculars! And book some ship excursions - e.g. the Rivercruise in Santarem and the Canoe trip on Lake Janaury in Manaus.

PS. The Amazon river flows more or less West-East. If your cabin faces the nearer shore (facing North), you won't have a lot of sun.

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Peterm!

We are sailing from Manaus to Ft. Lauderdale on the new Royal Princess. What side of the ship would you reccomend? When you say "the ship was always facing downstream" were you going "upstream" to Manaus backwards? I didn't quite understand this phrase.

Dorie

Hi Dorie,

I was talking about the ships direction when in port! I justed realized that I made a mistake. While in Santarem (Port) our ship was facing downstream, in Manaus (Port) the ship was was facing upstream.

My recommandation for a portside stateroom is only valid, if the ship follows the North shore of the Amazon - sometimes the ships change the side due to current or sandbars.

Peter

Archived