Time zone change for W. Carib itinerary?

thehare

I'm planing our first cruise with kids (16,15, and 3). I'm waffliing on which seating, weighing pros and cons. If a time change occurs that may sway my decision. I went with the late seating mainly because we eat dinner late at home and I prefer the later seating. But with the 3 year-old in our group I'm reconsidering.

These have been so helpful--thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge and experiences!

We're sailing on the Glory July 15th. I booked this trip last week and I'm so excited (and in planning mode) that I can hardly sleep!!!:D

The Hare

For you I would say early would be a better choice.....two reasons....

1) 3 yr old may be pretty cranky by late seating.... unless you plan on them going to camp carnival while you eat.....

2) Teens will miss their time in the dance club... it is only open for them from about 8:30-11:00pm....

You may want to take those two things into consideration....

To answer your thread heading, the ship's time will stay on the same time zone as the ship's home port.

I agree.. our Galveston ship always stayed on Central time.. even when we were in Key West..

For you I would say early would be a better choice.....two reasons....

1) 3 yr old may be pretty cranky by late seating.... unless you plan on them going to camp carnival while you eat.....

2) Teens will miss their time in the dance club... it is only open for them from about 8:30-11:00pm....

You may want to take those two things into consideration....

And I also agree with that.. the late dinner seating would have been too late for our 5 year old.. After dinner it was off to Oceans Adventure club for him and dancing for us..

Enjoy your trip

I agree.. our Galveston ship always stayed on Central time.. even when we were in Key West..

They don't always. The Conquest changed from Central to Eastern for Jamaica and GC, then back to Central time for Cozumel.

Your Capers will tell you and they will announce it if there is a change.

I agree with Renee-- with your kids onbaord take the early seating. If you atake late the kids will have a lot of down time with nothing at all to do.

Camps/activities are closed between 5-7 except on formal nights.

Disco is opened for kids between 8:30 and 10:30

most activities for the teens are happening between 8pm and 10pm.. Late dining time.

I'm not sure what Glory's home port is, but on the cruise I was on 2 weeks ago on the Valor out of Miami to the W. Caribbean, we moved back an hour Monday night before we made it to Grand Cayman, then on Friday night we moved it forward an hour after leaving Mexico.

I'm not sure what Glory's home port is, but on the cruise I was on 2 weeks ago on the Valor out of Miami to the W. Caribbean, we moved back an hour Monday night before we made it to Grand Cayman, then on Friday night we moved it forward an hour after leaving Mexico.

Huh? I was told earlier that the ship time stays with the home port time for Carnival. In Miami (and I'll be on Miracle going out of Tampa), it is on EDT. Cayman is CST, therefore 1 hr ahead. Mexico is also 1 hr ahead.

Did you mean they change the ship time, or did you move the time yourself in adjusting to the local time in Cayman and Mexico?

Huh? I was told earlier that the ship time stays with the home port time for Carnival. In Miami (and I'll be on Miracle going out of Tampa), it is on EDT. Cayman is CST, therefore 1 hr ahead. Mexico is also 1 hr ahead.

Did you mean they change the ship time, or did you move the time yourself in adjusting to the local time in Cayman and Mexico?

Yes, SOME Carnival ships change the time to match the port. I can not say that all do.

See: http://community.webshots.com/photo/548651518/2503346640086603082qXzttH

BTW, Cayman Islands are in the Eastern time zone, but do not observe Daylight Savings Time.

http://caymanislands-guide.info/travel.basics/time.zones/

If your cruise includes Cozumel, it's in Central time zone and does use Daylight Savings Time.

I think it depends on the time zones of each port. For example during DST the Valor Western route sets the ships clock back 1 hour before the first port and then forward an hour after the last port. If they didn't then for two ports the ship's clock would be two hours ahead, and for the other two ports one hour ahead. This way they are on the same time for Grand Cayman & Costa Maya, and only one hour ahead in Roatan & Belize. That's my theory......

John

When we were on the Conquest out of New Orleans, there were a number of time changes - back and forth between Eastern and Central time, depending on the ports. You've got to read the Capers every night to make sure you keep it straight for the next day. I almost missed a spa appointment one early morning because I was still on Central Time and the ship had switched back to Eastern.

We've always done early dinner with the kids anyway (on our last cruise they were 13 and 10). Leaves more time to participate in evening activities.

We are going out of Tampa on the Inspiration, and going to Grand Cayman and Calica. Any firsthand info on the time changes for this particular cruise? I thought someone mentioned their shore excursion was 9:30 local/10:30 ship time, which would indicate that the ship stays on Tampa time. When they give a time for a shore excursion booked through Carnival, would that time be ship time or local time if there is a difference?

We'll be on the Valor next week, and I booked a shore excursion in Grand Cayman with Capt. Marvins. When I asked them about time changes, she said the ship will change to GC time before our arrival, so she said to just go by the ship's time when we get there.

Archived