very nervous

silverwolf

Is it normal to feel nervous and a little anxious before vacation? My dear hubby and I will celebrate our anniversary this year by taking a cruise on the Miracle. This is not my first cruise but for some reason I am worried about everything-clothes, hurricanes, getting sick, meeting new people, you get the idea.

Help! I want to relax and have a great time. Any advice?

Pills or alcohol, you can even mix them.

KIDDING!

Yes, relax. Hard to do, but anxiety before such a big investment in time, money and emotions is 100% normal.

If you can't sleep talk to your doc. Otherwise I handle it by planning to death and then going with the flow. At some point you have to come to the realization that you cannot drive the boat from your cabin and have fun. Just don't let it happen on the last day!

Is it normal to feel nervous and a little anxious before vacation? My dear hubby and I will celebrate our anniversary this year by taking a cruise on the Miracle. This is not my first cruise but for some reason I am worried about everything-clothes, hurricanes, getting sick, meeting new people, you get the idea.

It can be normal for some people.

You are going to be just fine....

Think back to a prior cruise...and remember how relatively easy everything flowed.

Take out some travel insurance if you haven't already done so.

Talk to your husband about how you are feeling. Discuss your anniversary expectations with him. Sometimes we have this fairy tale picture in our head...about what something will look like. Keep your expectations low(anniversary)...and surely your celebration will be a precious memory !

Often, we are under stress when preparing for a cruise, because there is so much to do to get ready...as we are continuing to function in our everyday life. Get organized...and this could help if you are feeling this stress.

I find it helps to take some of the focus off of the trip and get absorbed in other things ... read a good book, get out for walks, etc. And as Boo's Mom mentioned, getting organized ahead of time relieves some stress.

It will probably help to look at each concern and hopefully come up with a solution.

If you've booked your cruise during hurricane season, then it could be a concern - although the chances of your ship being in one is probably pretty remote as they will divert a ship if a hurricane is in it's path, If the cruise is booked during non-hurricane season, then that should give you some comfort.

Meeting new people ...if you aren't comfortable starting conversations, then let the other people do the talking and you can be a good listener. Clothes - try to work on your wardrobe gradually so that you're not faced with "what am I going to wear" one week away from cruising date. A large, expensive wardrobe isn't necessary .... if you look nice and wear comfortable clothes, you'll fit in and feel great. There's a lot of variety in what people wear on cruises these days which takes the pressure off of having "just the right clothes."

Sickness ....take care of yourself by eating well and sleeping well if you can prior to the trip and have some echinachea or ColdRX ready in case you feel something coming on.

I don't think it's uncommon to have vacation anxieties ... mine usually hit about a week prior. I think my excitement goes into overdrive and turns into anxiety:(

I was just like you on my last cruise. However, I started getting my things together one day at a time. The first thing I started with was my carry on. That is the easiest to do. Make your list and check it twice. If your cruise is far away than one thing at a time. If it is closer than several things at a time. Just remember to put something in it every day. I would wake up and get excited wondering what I was going to put in it that day and it would make the rest of my day happy. As for people, I am not a face to face type person either. It is very hard for me, however, if someone talks to me, I become the chatty Cathy of yesteryear. Hurricanes well I live on the East Coast and deal with that every year so it is the last thing that will bother me in advance. Mother Nature will decide that for us and unfortunately not a thing we can do about it. Chances are great in your favor that nothing will happen, just make sure you get that insurance.

Now that is about it, the only other thing I can say is ENJOY. You have paid alot for this trip so have a super time.

Sometimes, the thought of vacation (cruise or land) can cause anxiety. Because a vacation is not your day-to-day routine, it can seem overwhelming. Will my plane connection work out? Will I get to the ship on time? Will my pets be ok while I'm gone? You could drive yourself batty.

TRY to think ahead, and picture yourself sunning on a quiet deck on the ocean, the wonderful, relaxing time you'll have once you are actually ON the ship. Things will fall into place. No worries, freedom from the everyday humdrum at home...etc.

What I do when I'm anxious about something, is take long walks. It kinda 'clears the cobwebs', and makes me more at ease about vacation (or any other worries).:) Peace.

If I may quote songwriter Irving Berlin on an associated matter. Just apply it to your lack of knowledge about cruising and your fears:

Don't be concerned about the things you haven't learned

If you can't express just what you're thinking of

It'll come to you, you'll know what to do, it'll come to you

No one teaches a duck how to swim or a bird how to fly

They're not taught to do what they ought to do

Why should you and I?

Don't be afraid because you're such a bashful maid

When you're strolling 'neath the silv'ry moon

You may be shy but pretty soon

It'll come to you, you'll know what to do, it'll come to you.

Tom C, I aways liked that song.

Silver Wolf, this may be small comfort to you but I ALWAYS get major cruise anxiety before we board. I worry about every thing from getting in a five hour traffic jam on I-95 to having the wrong clothes, to getting sick just before we go, (I did break my big toe four days before a cruise, but went anyway), to my 86-year old mother getting sick again while we're gone, to getting crushed in a crowd, to a ship fire (my latest worry as if there aren't enough worries), to losing my luggage to...you catch my drift?

But every cruise all the worries miraculously vanish when we pull up and see the beautiful ship. There's so much to take your mind off all your real and imagined anxieties. Even on cruises where something did happen (I fractured my shin falling up the glass stairs on the Jewel of the Seas), I still had a wonderful time all in all.

So relax! What's the worst case scenario? Whatever that is, it most likely won't happen. Have a great time.

Just before you leave your house, show each other your passport (or other needed i.d.), travel docs, driver's license and airplane tickets. Don't say, "They're in my carry-on." Show them.

Here are the things that will ruin your cruise:

(a) Ship sinking and you drown like rats

(b) Ship catching fire and you burn horribly

© Running out of food days from the nearest port

For (a) and (b), you have the consolation of knowing that you will be on the front page of the next day's New York Times and the lead item on that night's 6:00 and 11:00pm news. Possibly a tv movie in a couple of months with a guy hunk, a built lady, an old granny, a little boy and a dog. For ©, drawing straws to see who gets supper and who is supper.

I get nervous before a cruise - thanks to the airlines. Even though we fly to our embarkation ports a few days before the cruise, I still worry about making the connections - especially since we have very few nonstop flights to Ft Lauderdale and none to the west coast.

1. Buy trip insurance.

2. Have a mojito. (You cant say mojito without smiling...)

3. Bring a journal. No matter what happens, it will make a good story later.

4. Have another mojito and stay away from the railing.

:D

Just before you leave your house, show each other your passport (or other needed i.d.), travel docs, driver's license and airplane tickets. Don't say, "They're in my carry-on." Show them.

Here are the things that will ruin your cruise:

(a) Ship sinking and you drown like rats

(b) Ship catching fire and you burn horribly

© Running out of food days from the nearest port

For (a) and (b), you have the consolation of knowing that you will be on the front page of the next day's New York Times and the lead item on that night's 6:00 and 11:00pm news. Possibly a tv movie in a couple of months with a guy hunk, a built lady, an old granny, a little boy and a dog. For ©, drawing straws to see who gets supper and who is supper.

Roflmao. Tom...You would be fun to cruise with!!

I am nervous about my first cruise too.I hope I don't get seasick or lose something.My biggest worry is this is the first time my husband and I are away from my kids and dog.I know my kids are no more babies their 19 & 20,but this is the first time I'm leaving them to show us that they are responsible adults.AAHHH!Thank goodness We have cell phones to keep in touch.:eek:

Well the kids are at an age where you trust them or you don't and you probably wouldn't be leaving them home if you didn't. On our first cruise it was also our first time leaving the dog. A nervous time indeed. But we left her in good hands and had a great time! every time we crise we feel bad leaving the dog but have a great time anyway and she is always happy to see us when we get home.

OMG! I am always a wreck 2 weeks before vacation....doesnt matter land or sea...However, I think it is a bit worse with a cruise since communication may not be as readily available as a land vacation. We are leaving in 2 weeks for a trip to Fla for a few days and I get butterflies every time I think about leaving....I worry about the house, watering the grass, what if my 20yr old son that doesnt live at home needs me, my 86 yr old mom, my little dog. I do this every time we get ready to leave...but as soon as I am out the door on trip day....the worries vanish...but the weeks preciding a trip are worrisome. I dont know why I do this to myself.

Thanks everyone for the kind replies. I think it just my nature to worry about every little thing.

Nliedel- LOL That was funny! I am sure after a few drinks on the ship I will be fine. :D

My first cruise was last year on the Glory and since it was my first cruise I had no idea what to expect. Once I was on the ship everything fell into place. Again, thanks everyone for being so nice.

Thanks everyone for the kind replies. I think it just my nature to worry about every little thing.

Nliedel- LOL That was funny! I am sure after a few drinks on the ship I will be fine. :D

My first cruise was last year on the Glory and since it was my first cruise I had no idea what to expect. Once I was on the ship everything fell into place. Again, thanks everyone for being so nice.

I'm a worrywart. I admit it. I worry about things I have no right to let get to me. You should see me on an airplane. It takes me a few days to get into cruising. That's why I like a longer cruise. On a three day I start to relax and we disembark. If there was an "easy" button for travel I'd buy it in a heartbeat. :p

I worry about things I have no right to let get to me.
I had a dear lady on my last cruise who worried about everything. And I mean absolutely everything. Examples (all true):

(a) "The waiter is bringing out the trays. Oh, there isn't enough for all of us. I wonder what we're going to do? Do you think there's a problem?"

>>>Me: "He has two tables, and that's for the smaller one."

(b) "That Canadian couple isn't here; I wonder if they are alright?"

>>>Me: "They are fine. I saw them this afternoon on deck."

"I didn't. I hope they are alright."

>>>Me: "They're just fine. I was talking with them. They're fine."

"Oh, I hope so. They're not here."

© "I didn't see the dessert menu this afternoon. I wonder what we are having? Do you think they will show us the menu? I don't know what we are having?"

>>>Me: "The waiter is trying to hand it to you."

:rolleyes:

I call that anticpation and excitement! sounds to me you are just looking forward to your cruise.

I recall having seen, years ago, some kind of "schedule" for stress that assigned points to different life events.

I believe death of a spouse was #1, with death of a child or parent being #2 and #3 (I don't remember the order).

Anyway, occasions that we'd normally think are enjoyable, like vacation, holidays, getting married, ranked right up there in the top 10. It was a interesting list.

For a long time, I had the nagging feeling that I was forgetting something. I finally realized, that as long as I had my travel docs and a credit card, there wasn't anything I couldn't fix.

Strangely enough, I have my moments of anxiety as I get closer to arriving home. I want to be assured that my apartment and all my 'stuff', including my car, are OK. Perhaps this is because I was burglarized many years ago.

T

I think the death of a child was ahead of the death of a spouse. I've never been through the death of a spouse, and I pray I never am, but the death of my child is the worst thing I've ever endured. I cannot imagine anything being worse.

Nleidel, have you lost a child? I can't imagine anything worse than that.

Yeah, I've posted about it a few times. Not so much in the recent past. My son Ben was born too early. We didn't have him very long. I have preemies. We do have two adopted boys and two miracle birth children (well they are all miracles). Still I think about Ben a lot, even after nine years.

Archived