Age Limit for Portofinos?

Pete

Just back from the Mariner.......while I don't know the age specifically......I know a couple in our group with children around12 or 10 were asked to come and eat just as soon as they opened up at 6pm........so they were still able to get their younger kids in......but this might vary ship to ship..........

Your best bet is to check with Portofino's as soon as you board........depending on the matre d........you might get younger kids in.

Jim

There is a post on here that tells of younger children being allowed in until 8 pm.

I will see if I can find it and show you. :eek:

I can not find it. ?? Maybe someone else knows where it is?

It tells of people seeing many children eating there. They questioned it and were told the children could enter before 8. One complaint was that if they came in just before 8, they were eating during the adult hours.

There seems to be no rules enforced on RCCL at all anymore was the general impression I got from reading it.

Here it it - right from the RCCL website:

"All guests over the age of 13 are welcome and reservations are recommended; please allow two hours for dining. To make a reservation, use the main menu screen on the TV in your stateroom or call the restaurant directly. Telephone numbers can be found in your stateroom. Cancellations with less than 24 hours notice will be charged a minimum of $10 USD. "

I think that what I am posting has already been said but....everyone knows that Portofinos is a very nice dining option. Many families have children that are very comfortable in these restaurants and many families are not. It really is up to the parents to know what is best for their families. I have been in restaurants with out-of-control children as well as out-of-control adults. Everyone should do what they are comfortable with. Hopefully you will be able to enjoy a memorable dinner at Portofinos.

Alexis and Gordon, I too remember that kids were allowed before 8. And agree with PH that the thread probably doesn't exist anymore. I also agree with the comment that Alexis made - if they can make reservations for 8 they are still in there during the adult hours.

I just wish parents would appreciate and follow the adult only times/areas!

###

On our first cruise we were told kids were allowed early, my 7yo niece ate with us. The current "rule" is 13. Ive eaten in the specialty restaurants 4 times and 3 of the times I've seen children in there eating. I personally don't see any problem with a kid who is quiet and act like an adult and Im pretty certain nobody will be turned away.

Portofino's is a very upscale and elegant dining venue. Not a family restaurant. Think Supper Club.

That's why I asked. I've taken my daughter to the supper club with no problem, but there's no age limit there.

Thanks Jim, Gordon, and all lfor the suggestions. We will ask, and eat early, which we do anyway!

Or not!

As far as I can tell, it varies from ship to ship (and maybe even depends on the time of year) because on all our RCI cruises the rule has been 13 and over; period. There hasn't been the before 8 rule or anything like that. OTOH, we cruise when school is typically in session, so maybe that has something to do with it. Personally, I believe it should be for 16 and up, but I know that's not going to happen.

beachchick

It was 13 on the Mariner last fall. I remember checking because before we left there was a HEATED debate about it on CC. when I got back th post was gone.

If your child is over 13 I'd do it. It's a nice venue and I ate in nice restaurants before that (of course I was told to be seen and not heard. Not a parenting style I emulate or think the OP does, judging from the cute avatar).

While some kids under 13 can handle it, most probably can't. It's not the can's that worry me. It's the parents that think their kids are ready for it when in reality they are not.

Some people have reported taking kids as young as nine and the Maitre D having no problem with it. Shame on RCI in that case. If they have a rule just follow it. No harm, no foul.

I think Beachchick is right about the before 8pm thing. I suspect some Maitre D's allow it because they want to please everyone. Again. I wish RCI would enforce its own rules.

I would imagine a kid esp under 13 would be bored......it takes a good 2 hours(if not longer) to eat all the courses.........it is not a rushed meal.......time inbetween courses......

It was 13 on the Mariner last fall. I remember checking because before we left there was a HEATED debate about it on CC. when I got back th post was gone.

If your child is over 13 I'd do it. It's a nice venue and I ate in nice restaurants before that (of course I was told to be seen and not heard. Not a parenting style I emulate or think the OP does, judging from the cute avatar).

While some kids under 13 can handle it, most probably can't. It's not the can's that worry me. It's the parents that think their kids are ready for it when in reality they are not.

Some people have reported taking kids as young as nine and the Maitre D having no problem with it. Shame on RCI in that case. If they have a rule just follow it. No harm, no foul.

I think Beachchick is right about the before 8pm thing. I suspect some Maitre D's allow it because they want to please everyone. Again. I wish RCI would enforce its own rules.

Last year we cruised with 11 yr. old boys (twins), we made special arrangements to ask our parents to take our kids to the main dining area, so we could follow the rules. To our surprise there was a well dressed 4 yr. old girl.....sitting upside down in her chair, being rambunctious during the meal. It did anger me that we followed the rules (nowhere did it say before 8pm!) and others didn't. I know my boys have dined in some of the finest restaurants in America and would've been fine - that wasn't the point. The rules said 13, and 13 it is. Next year they will be 13, and it will be a pleasure to take them to the restaurant. Why is it so complicated to simply follow the rules? I don't get it, and am not going to get it. My kids are special to me, not special to the world. It's my responsibility that they learn to respect the rules.

Karen

I would imagine a kid esp under 13 would be bored......it takes a good 2 hours(if not longer) to eat all the courses.........it is not a rushed meal.......time inbetween courses......

I'm sure you don't speak for all kids under 13. :)

I was prepared to go for strolls in between courses in the Supper Club last year, knowing I had our table for the evening, but it was never necessary. Two hours is nothing for my DD. We even got a little dancing in.

Now I know I can and will ask. Worst that can happen is we don't go.

Thanks all!

I was prepared to go for strolls in between courses in the Supper Club last year, knowing I had our table for the evening, but it was never necessary. Two hours is nothing for my DD. We even got a little dancing in.

Now I know I can and will ask. Worst that can happen is we don't go.

Thanks all!

It sounds like you have a wonderful little lady there Pete!! :) I'm sure that she loves to be able to enjoy such an elegant atmosphere with her dad. I hope that you get to share a dinner with her at Portifinos, it will be a wonderful experience and memory for her. Good luck and have a GREAT vacation!! :D

It sounds like you have a wonderful little lady there Pete!!

Thank you Jaci!

She's also in love with your home town! We went to see Celine and stayed at the Belagio. She never stopped talking about going back!

Well,of course,I dont know all 13 year olds(and under).........just seems to me,if I were under 13(or for that fact a teen),I'd rather be involved with the really neat,fun stuff that they have for the kids on the ship.......just seems a little too stuffy for a kid.....thats IMHO.....

Im sure some kids,like yours,rather be with their parents sitting in the fancy restaurant........enjoy !! Im sure you will!!:)

Archived