Help questions about passports!!

carrieannnn

We are traveling to the Bahamas Sept 15 thru the 21rst There are 4 of us and I Have been married and then divorced. The travel agent said to just order them but I dont want to spend the money if it is not necessary??

If I dont order them will I have to take my marrage licence divorce decree b-certificate etc etc? Does it delay you in anyway?

Part of the answer to your question will depend on whether or not you retained you married surname and what name you have on you photo ID (ie driver's license). If you had everything changed back to your maiden name and if everything is in agreement you should be OK...BUT

That said...You will have to get a passport as it will be required as of 12/31/06. Yes, the initial cost is high but it is good for 10 years and you will not have to worry about having the proper documents. Here is a link to the passport office that will answer any questions you may have:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

Travelling with a passport is so much easier than with documents, besides you then have a great record of all your trips. IMHO... Avoid the headaches, worries and anticipated processing delays and get it now.

If your first name on your BC matches your drivers license, and the birthdate is the same on the DL and the BC, all you need for this trip is the BC (it shows citizenship) and the DL (to prove Identity). Make sure your BC is the certified copy issued by the state or county where you were born; NOT the hospital.

The last names do not have to match, and you do not need your Marriage license or divorce decree. The BC does not show your identity, it shows your citizenship. That's why you need another picture document to prove your ID. (Just get ready for five or six more postings saying to just get the passport now and several others saying to take the extra documents anyway to be 'safe'. Nothing wrong in either bit, but its totally unnecessary.)

Perhaps it is at the discretion of the immigration officer but I was asked to show additional documentaion just after my husband and I married, and I had been previously divorced. The issue was at Mexican immigration...thank goodness I had my BC and Current marriage certificate.....

This was a while back but I don't know w what would have happened had I not had it. It would have just been another headache...Why risk a problem?

I would recommend getting a Passport. The upfront cost may be a little high, but you have to remember that it's good for 10 years. Since 9/11 a Passport has become more common even for domestic traveling as a form of identification.

If you plan on traveling ever again outside the US, starting on Dec 31 of this year, a passport will be required for all US citizens who travel outside the US, including on cruises.

Archived