Midnight Sun Medley Weather

JDMOR

We will be on the Jul 10 Rotterdam Midnight Sun Medley cruise. It hits Newfoundland, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, etc. Does anyone have any experience on this or similiar runs at that time of year? What can we expect as far as weather conditions are concerned. Realize the need to "layer" clothing packing, but just how cold can it get?

I will also be on that cruise and have the same questions. I just got back from Alaska and it wasn't all that cold although a jacket felt good.

As for Norway, I used to live there and the weather where we will be going should be pleasant. When we moved there, we took big parkas thinking it would be like the North Pole but warm Gulf currents sweep the western shores of Norway and the temperatures were better than we had when we lived in the Texas Panhandle.

The midnight sun can make things very very warm if it is clear. At the same time - temperatures can really fluctuate - 40 degree changes in a day are not unheard of. The best bet and plan of action is to expect cooler temperatures then what you would expect in the US and also to plan on layering if need be. It is somewhat different than an Alaska cruise - as the cruise areas don't really experience 24 hour sun.

We will be with all of you and our plan of action is "layering". We hve also been advised to pack a hat and mittens that can be jammed into coat pockets "just in case".

Will these two weeks ever end???:rolleyes:

Just returned from North Cape cruise on the Westerdam.

It was much warmer than I anticipated. You do not need heavy clothes, just a sweater and a jacket that you can peel off as needed.

The only time I needed my gloves and wool scarf was when I was birdwatching from a small boat near North Cape at the top of Norway. The temp was in the 40's, and it was breezy on the water.

Ilene

Archived