Rental Car Coverage

Perseids

Before you agree to the insurance when you rent a car, always contact your own auto insurer first. Many times you will be covered in a rental car under your own auto policy. I always carry a copy of my own insurance policy with me when i know I will be renting. Some rental agencies will play hardball and refuse to rent with out proof that you are insured, trying to force you to purchase insurance.

For the cost, it is totaly worth the phone call.

Also, check with your credit card company, some of them provide rental car insurance free if you use their card for the rental.

Is the optional coverage a worth it??? on this trip every penny is going to count.

Which 'optional coverage' are you talking about? Here is a short list of what most companies offer as optional:

-CDW/LDW (often covered by credit cards)

-supplemental liability insurance (often covered by separate policy)

-personal effects coverage (often covered by homeowners or not needed)

-personal accident insurance (usually not needed)

-any medical type insurance (often covered by personal health insurance)

Also, they offer at least 3 options for refueling. Unfortunately car rental agents are about 1/2 step up from used car salesmen. You absolutely need to be certain BEFORE you even get to the rental counter exactly what optional items you want or don't want. If you are not familiar with car renting, a good place to start is at the Federal Trade Commission website for this:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/carrent.htm

I know several people who have been taken by car rental agents. Even when you verbally tell them that you want to decline a certain coverage, you MUST READ the contract to be certain that is what you are signing. More than one person I know told the agent "decline" but then initialled to "accept" and had a rental bill about twice what they expected.

Good luck and if you have any questions, ask.

John

Just be well aware and follow the contract on prohibited, unpaved roads. Plenty of insurances are void. GPS is also used in some cars now, so go at your own risk if you choose to ignore contracts. I never do myself. :)

If you have a plat. credit card, use that for your rental as well as verifying your own auto insurance coverage, be sure to have it in writing and it's an excellent advice- bring a copy with you. :)

Just be well aware and follow the contract on prohibited, unpaved roads. Plenty of insurances are void. GPS is also used in some cars now, so go at your own risk if you choose to ignore contracts. I never do myself. :)

If you have a plat. credit card, use that for your rental as well as verifying your own auto insurance coverage, be sure to have it in writing and it's an excellent advice- bring a copy with you. :)

Just got off the phone with my insurance co. and they assured me I am covered just as if I was driving my own car. She said they do not send out emails stating such or the coverage but they are easily contacted via 800 number to confirm info. for AVIS. I think I am good to go :)

Just got off the phone with my insurance co. and they assured me I am covered just as if I was driving my own car. She said they do not send out emails stating such or the coverage but they are easily contacted via 800 number to confirm info. for AVIS. I think I am good to go :)

I hate to be a pessimist, but I doubt your insurance company covers you for all the items I listed above. Just double check. Maybe you don't need the things that might not be covered. And know before you get to the rental counter how you want to handle the gas refueling options. And do a thorough search of the car for damage before you drive away. Especially look under the front bumper - I was nailed once for damage down there when most cars have scrapes there from pulling into parking spaces at curbs.

I hate to be a pessimist, but I doubt your insurance company covers you for all the items I listed above. Just double check. Maybe you don't need the things that might not be covered. And know before you get to the rental counter how you want to handle the gas refueling options. And do a thorough search of the car for damage before you drive away. Especially look under the front bumper - I was nailed once for damage down there when most cars have scrapes there from pulling into parking spaces at curbs.

I find no reference on AVIS' site about fuel refueling options. I think my insurance coverages should be sufficient w/o purchasing their optionals. I also plan to put the rental on a Platinum card most likely.

I find no reference on AVIS' site about fuel refueling options. I think my insurance coverages should be sufficient w/o purchasing their optionals. I also plan to put the rental on a Platinum card most likely.

The refueling option is not insurance but instead an optional service. Some people rent cars and do not want to bother stopping for gas to bring the car back full. So the rental car company charges a "very high" fee to re-fill the car, usually 2-3 times the standard per gallon rate. The refueling option is a choice you make at rental time that says you will pay a specific fee regardless of how much gas is in the car when you return it. So if you plan on bringing it back empty, it can be a convenience. I always just buy the gas myself. The rental agent can tell you where the closest gas station is when you leave with the rental. Have fun!

We are doing a one way rental dropping off at whittier. On the day of the cruise we'll be driving up from the Seward area. Will we be able to gas up at whittier to drop off?I understand there is not much at whittier.

thanks

Val

The refueling option is not insurance but instead an optional service. Some people rent cars and do not want to bother stopping for gas to bring the car back full. So the rental car company charges a "very high" fee to re-fill the car, usually 2-3 times the standard per gallon rate. The refueling option is a choice you make at rental time that says you will pay a specific fee regardless of how much gas is in the car when you return it. So if you plan on bringing it back empty, it can be a convenience. I always just buy the gas myself. The rental agent can tell you where the closest gas station is when you leave with the rental. Have fun!

The refueling fees are now VERY competitive. In fact, my last 3 rentals (Dallas in April, Phoenix in late April and NYC last week) the refuel option was about $.10 per gallon cheaper than the pump price. Know what the pump price is BEFORE you rent-then decide. Rental car fuel is taken out of bulk fuel tanks, usually purchased at a discount. And it appears the discounts are being passed on to customers.

We are doing a one way rental dropping off at whittier. On the day of the cruise we'll be driving up from the Seward area. Will we be able to gas up at whittier to drop off?I understand there is not much at whittier.

thanks

Val

Shoreside Petroleum, Inc. Petroleum distributor/Retail Fuel, phone:(907) 472-2314 Only gas in Whittier. :)

:D BQ, Greatam, all the others.............THANKS! What would we do without you? I would be totally lost!! In your opinion, will we be ok on gas with this route....i know stations may be few & far between.

Anchorage to girdwood area (Hope is a possibility),(also many stops along this scenic drive). staying at Moose Pass, Seward all day Fri., back to Moose Pass, Sat. AM meander up to Whittier. I know Seward & Anc. will have plenty of options but we don't want to run out of gas in the middle of "nowhere". i believe we have a midsize reserved (malibu, monte carlo, taurus?)THANKS!!

Val

Archived