Driving Time from Anchorage to Seward??

lovquilts

We are scheduled for a tour in Seward at 11am and need to know what time to leave Anchorage to arrive at the train station in Seward, where the tour starts?

The tricky thing here....the tour is on....July 4th. I hear that there are swarms of people in Seward for the 4th....do they get there the day before or the day of?

We are scheduled for a tour in Seward at 11am and need to know what time to leave Anchorage to arrive at the train station in Seward, where the tour starts?

The tricky thing here....the tour is on....July 4th. I hear that there are swarms of people in Seward for the 4th....do they get there the day before or the day of?

Allow at least 3-4 hours drive time that day but your best bet is taking the train that arrives at 11:05 am. You really don't want a vehicle here around 4th of July and this year will be worse than ever with 8 miles of road constuction. We also have our only port of call this year with the Topaz that day. OH YIPPEEE I'm ready to head out of here myself!

I'm curious to what tour your taking that leaves from the train station at 11am. Any idea where your going to park? There isn't any room for public parking around the depot with all the buses. Also with all the activities happening downtown with the race, I would think that would be more exciting and save your tour for the next day if possible,(if it isn't the real Alaska rip off). We have the 2nd oldest foot race up Mt Marathon, 3022 feet, 3 miles up and down, with the front runners in less than an hour, a parade, craft & food vendors, fireworks etc. Largest 4th of July celebration in Alaska.

There are 5 of us. A car is cheaper, from what i can find. $103 RT for adults, $52 for kids on the railroad?

The tour is through Ididaride? I think, is that the rip off? Kidss and husband really want to do a dog sled experience. http://www.ididaride.com/sewardtour.htm

Takes us to exit glacier and husky ride. With a brief time in Seward to attend festivities instead of sight seeing.

We fly out the next day so doing the tour on the next day is not an option.

I think I'll call them and see if there is any other place we can "catch" the tour.

There are 5 of us. A car is cheaper, from what i can find. $103 RT for adults, $52 for kids on the railroad?

The tour is through Ididaride? I think, is that the rip off? Kidss and husband really want to do a dog sled experience. http://www.ididaride.com/sewardtour.htm

Takes us to exit glacier and husky ride. With a brief time in Seward to attend festivities instead of sight seeing.

We fly out the next day so doing the tour on the next day is not an option.

I think I'll call them and see if there is any other place we can "catch" the tour.

Yup, that be the one. If you do it all on your own it will be much cheaper. Ididaride through the tour is $129 adults $70 child and what are you getting for the extra costs??? Exit Glacier is free if you drive or $50 for van by taxi. Ididaride is $49 adults $24 child They have a free shuttle. Lunch you can do anywhere on your own and with all the food vendors in town...So what are you getting for the price increase 2 adults 3 kids $468 vs $170???

The cost of the train and the convience it provides is a good deal. Just the savings of not doing the tour allows you to take the train or pays your rental. Do the regular ride but don't let them get you with their tour, it's not a good deal.

I made the change to just do the Dog Sled tour, Saved us tons of $$$. It was actually higher than the $468, 3 adults, 2 kids...$ 555 DH wouldn't believe me until I showed him your expert opinions. Now only $198, the difference more than covers our car rental.

THANK YOU ! THANK YOU!!

Still going to have to get down there by 11-ish though due to all other times being booked that day so I guess that we get up extra early! At least we won't need to go into Seward "proper" and find parking during all the events.

Also have Capt Larry booked for our "large" group...20-ish of us. Hope we see some good wildlife.

Thank you both so much for all the time you guys put into helping us clueless travelers! Your advice is priceless.

I made the change to just do the Dog Sled tour, Saved us tons of $$$. It was actually higher than the $468, 3 adults, 2 kids...$ 555 DH wouldn't believe me until I showed him your expert opinions. Now only $198, the difference more than covers our car rental.

THANK YOU ! THANK YOU!!

Still going to have to get down there by 11-ish though due to all other times being booked that day so I guess that we get up extra early! At least we won't need to go into Seward "proper" and find parking during all the events.

Also have Capt Larry booked for our "large" group...20-ish of us. Hope we see some good wildlife.

Thank you both so much for all the time you guys put into helping us clueless travelers! Your advice is priceless.

Your very welcomed. I'm happy I was able save you lots money!! Unfortunatly they rip off many people with it, and the train promotes it to get paid a commission. :(

It looks like you already know that Ididaride is located out of town on Old Exit Glacier rd. There is a sign and another great landmark is take a right turn right after you pass the Pit Bar. Drive down a mile or so and you'll see another sign to make a right turn. If you keep going straight the road ends at Exit Glacier.

If time allows, do drive into Seward and check out all the activities. Just remember not to be in a hurry to get anywhere. :)

Archived