Dive Operators in Puerto Rico - 15 Year Old Boy

nancyfawcett

Help I need a good dive operator in San Juan, PR. I will be sending my son with another 15 year old boy and dad and am looking for the best. Any help greatly appreciated. I have Que Pasa magazine and have some names from publications but would love to hear from someone that has used them.

Thanks,

Nancy :p :p

Few if any cruisers get to dive in Puerto Rico because the better diving is several hours drive away from San Juan. The time it takes to get there and back added with the short time you are in port make diving there logistically very difficult.

If you do find a dive operator that is in San Juan, please tell who it is and if possible, post a link to their website.

Hi,

I've been to San Juan a lot but never considered scuba diving there (as the last poster said, most of it takes place in the southern part of the country). However, I did a quick search and there is a PADI dive shop that offers shore dives in San Juan. Frommers, the travel people posted the following on their website:

In San Juan, the best outfitter is Caribe Aquatic Adventures, 1062 Calle 19, Villa Nevarez, San Juan, PR 00927 (tel. 787-281-8858, http://www.diveguide.com/p2046.htm), which operates a dive shop behind the Normandie Hotel that's open daily from 8am to 4pm. They offer local daily dives in the waters close to San Juan, as well as the option of traveling farther afield into waters near the reefs of Puerto Rico's eastern shore. If time permits, we recommend a full-day dive experience; if time is limited, try one of the many worthy dive sites that lie closer to San Juan and can be experienced in a half day.

I can't recommend them since I haven't used them before but they are a PADI dive operation and Frommers liked them so it might be worthwhile to check out their website and send them an e-mail requesting information.

Randall

I've been to San Juan many times....and am an avid diver....I've never combined the two. The San Juan area is not a dive destination. I'm sure you could find a dive shop to take you (them) out...but I can find someone to take me in Lake Michigan too. That doesn't mean I recommend it as a dive.

Other parts of Puerto Rico have some decent diving....but San Juan? sorry, I don't think so.

I've been to San Juan many times....and am an avid diver....I've never combined the two. The San Juan area is not a dive destination. I'm sure you could find a dive shop to take you (them) out...but I can find someone to take me in Lake Michigan too. That doesn't mean I recommend it as a dive.

Other parts of Puerto Rico have some decent diving....but San Juan? sorry, I don't think so.

Hi,

Agreed, most divers don't consider SJ a dive destination. There are many other ports in the Caribbean where her son would get a lot more enjoyment. (I just spent the weekend diving in Lake George, NY so I know what you mean about the Michigan thing (might be better than SJ :)).

Randall

Archived