Los Angeles Cruise Terminal: Best child-friendly hotels and parking options?

comcox

We are sailing out of Los Angeles (San Pedro) on Royal Caribbean on June 12 for a four-day cruise.

I'm looking for recommendations for a nearby hotel that would be good choice for my 11-year-old grandniece and myself--reasonable price, but comfortable, in a safe area, with a pool, and near a kid-friendly restaurant. We are planning to arrive at least one night in advance and to spend the day before the cruise at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach. We are driving to L.A. so we will have a car.

Which brings me to my other question. Is it best to park in the Cruise Terminal lots or to arrange a Park and Cruise package with a local hotel? I got one quote from Holiday Inn in San Pedro which would be exactly same price as just a regular room (AAA rate) and then parking at the terminal for four days. One review of this hotel I read, though, said trying to get their shuttle back from the ship to the hotel was a nightmare. According to Port calendar our ship will be the only there on both embarkation and disembarkation day which should help, but with a child along, I'm trying to make the process as short as possible.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Archived