Comparisons

I'll preface this by saying I'm not a troll and I'm not trying to start a Carnival vs. RCCL fight here, I'd genuinely like some opinions -- I don't want it to come off as such :)

I've sailed Royal Caribbean a couple of times and I enjoyed it both times. I have, however, felt Carnival was a bit more fun -- just my opinion, but by fun I mean it's a bit wilder and doesn't close up shop as early as RCCL did -- at least on the ship I was on :) Cruises are ALWAYS fun, LOL.

I think that the newer mega ships that RCCL has built as gorgeous! I would love to sail one and I'd like to know what the comparisons are to say, Carnival Conquest/Valor/Victory. I've only sailed the Rhapsody (twice and I loved it) but since I've sailed the larger Carnival ships it took away the glory from the Rhapsody a bit for me though I had a BLAST on my second Rhapsody cruise. I love how attentive the staff is on RCCL and I think the food was very good. I can say that RCCL has impecable service, at least they have the both times I've gone on it :)

My fiance and I are getting married in a year and while we're probably going to do Hawaii for the honeymoon, I was wanting to know about the comparisons between the larger RCCL ships and the larger Carnival ships. (I'm a big fan of the bigger ships, LOL). If you've sailed both, what did you like that was different on RCCL? Do you think that the level of service is still well-maintained at that ship class? How late is the ship "open" i.e. Crown and Anchor lounge, etc. I love the piano bars on Carnival -- does RCCL have something like this on their larger ships? What all is there to do during the day? We're very much the "lay by the pool in the sun" either enjoying a cold drink of the day or frosty adult beverage but we like being low key. We can party with the best of them but we are both feeling that we want to go on vacation and come home feeling like we were on vacation -- not a week long frat party. I know we can get that on Carnival, I'm not concerned with that because a vacation is what you make it, but I just wanted to know if that atmosphere is more upbeat, etc. on the larger RCCL ships as opposed to the smaller :)

We are 25/27 so would y'all say there are a lot of people around our ages on the RCCL? On our first trip on Royal Caribbean we were 22 & 24, so there weren't too many, but there were some :)

Thanks to anyone who replies, I'd really like to know opinions! I loved RCCL and would like to try it again but on a bigger ship this time I think ^_^

Hi. I'm 30 at present, but I more closely identify with younger folks when it comes to the pace I prefer.

I've done the Hawaii cruise through RC a few years back. Of my three cruises, while most of them do have an older crowd this was the oldest by far. I attribute it to being rather costly, and who can afford such a trip both in terms of price and time off... but older folks. The word is shorter cruises often tend to have a younger crowd.

I've always heard that Carnival is more of a party ship... which is fine. But I've also found great fun on RC in the dance club. Granted, there isn't as many 20 somethings, and for me... being single... that is an even worse proposition. As always a cruise is what you make of it. Given that it is your honeymoon, consider if you don't want to be a little more "secluded" than you normally would on a cruise.

All that said, I'd LOVE to see RC do a cruise where they push the singles theme or a younger crowd theme. Not that they'd exclude couples or older folks, but that they try to drawn in the single/younger crowd - get them cruising now. Maybe they'll meet love and RC will be their yearly vacation of choice.

Good luck, and congrats on your upcoming wedding.

JC

Thank you so much jchiefs! I appreciate your comparisons. My first cruise (our first cruise together) was the RC Rhapsody and we had a GREAT time, but it closed up a bit early.

We aren't going to do a cruise for our honeymoon because there are no Hawaiian cruises on Carnival and RCCL (the top two IMO) around when we get married (June 2, 2007). Sooo, I was just curious for future reference because he and I would like a more relaxing vacation in the future and I always attribute RC to being more relaxed. I was just curious as to whether you can get the best of both worlds on the bigger ships -- good nightlife if you so choose and relaxation by the pool by day :)

This age old saying hangs true.

THE SHORTER THE CRUISE THE YOUNGER THE CROWD.

THE LONGER THE CRUISE THE OLDER IS THE AGE.

THE WARMER THE CRUISE THE YOUNGER THE CROWD.

THE COLDER THE CRUISE THE OLDER IS THE AGE.

This age old saying hangs true.

THE SHORTER THE CRUISE THE YOUNGER THE CROWD.

THE LONGER THE CRUISE THE OLDER IS THE AGE.

THE WARMER THE CRUISE THE YOUNGER THE CROWD.

THE COLDER THE CRUISE THE OLDER IS THE AGE.

Yes, very, very true, LOL! We love the warm weather and we're younger but we have no desire to ever take a cruise shorter than 7 days -- 7 days already seems too short!

I think the larger RCCL ships look absolutely magnificent, I'd love to cruise one if only just to see the inside -- are they similar to the bigger ships on Carnival size-wise or a little bit bigger and more "grand"?

It probably just depends on the crowds the week you go, I was on the Rhapsody in November and we closed the Viking Crown lounge down every night (which for the DJ and alcohol is 2am). Some nights we would linger to the pool until 3am, last night we hung out in one of the rooms until 6am. On Carnival I have had times where there is no one in the dance club and others where it is packed, seems touch and go. The funny thing is we went on the Rhapsody during Thanksgiving when it was mostly families and beforehand I thought it would be more relaxing, less people out at night. Not the case at all. Met some really cool people.

I think both offer good service, although in my experience I have to give the edge to Carnival. I also liked the food better on Carnival. But seriously I don't think you can really go wrong with either.

The new RC ships sound really cool. But if you aren't into ice skating, mini golf, rock climbing, wave surfing than you might not want to pay the extra costs for those perks. I leave on the Conquest in 6 days, that will be the first large Carnival I have been on.

Good luck with the wedding and making your choice!!

Having cruised with Carnival 16 times and RCI eight, I have to give the overall edge to RCI.

There is nothing out there like the Voyager class ships. The Royal Promenade is really nice. The Conquest class ships do not compare to the Voyager class at all. As a matter of fact the Conquest class of ships is my least favorite ship that I have ever sailed. Poor design and passenger flow IMHO. I do not use the rock climbing walls and other things and still think that they are a great ship to cruise.

As far as things to do. I have never not found something to do on RCI even late into the night. A lot depends on the time of year that you cruise as that dictates the type of passengers on board. I also like the past guest program that RCI has.

cruisingator you're always great at answering questions! Thanks so much! I love the Conquest class ships actually, it's the triumph class I hated.

txportersat -- we closed them down every night too which is why I like that Carnival has a dance club that stays open later. I cruised in June and August :) You are going to LOOOOVVVEEE Conquest -- that's been my favorite cruise so far.

I'm going to have to get my fiance to try the RC bigger ships sometime but, it prob. won't be until 2009. We're doing Hawaii for 9 days for our honeymoon then his parents want to do the mediterannean in 2008 and his mother is a platinum Carnival cruiser so I'm pretty sure that we'll be doing Carnival on the Freedom :)

Archived