ReliefBand - is it worth $89.00??

rrunner

We are crossing the Atlantic for the first time on QM2 in September - we are concerned about sea sickness. Has anyone tried ReliefBand - FDA-approved. We saw it advertised in Magellan's catalog over the weekend. They are charging $89.00 It looks like a watch and works by electric signals which interfere with messages between the stomach and brain.

Hello rruner. I have not heard of the reliefband, but there are plenty of more inexpensive products that work well to fight off sea sickness. Over the counter medications such as dramamine work well for me in rough seas, but if you are prone to motion sickness you might want to look into the reliefband more before purchasing it. It might turn out to be worthwhile, but then again it might be a waste of money. Sea bands work by pushing gently on your wrist and can ward off nausea. Also, if you feel sea sick on the cruise, there is an injection available in the infirmry that works wonders. Don't be too concerned with sea sickness, just bring a few precautionary items. After all the QM2 is the most stable ship afloat. Enjoy your crossing!

We like the generic version of Bonine best. DW takes one every morning starting a day or two before sailing and has never had any motion discomfort...we really don't know if she would or not. For our crossing on Tuesday I am taking it for the first time as I am also concerned about rough seas. I'm confident that should do it but there are indeed a number of different prevention methods.

That's the key though: Prevention. Once you're feeling the effects of motion discomfort, it's too late.

We just bought a bottle of 100 generic pills at the local pharmacy for $9.88. Pretty cheap insurance...for us anyway.

I had a positive experience with the electronic relief bands on the QE2 world cruise this year (2006). I had purchased 2 at Sharper Image just before the cruise. I did not need to open the box in which mine was shipped, but my 11 year old grandson who was traveling with me used his successfully on two or 3 occasions. It worked immediately, as advertised, and was definitely worth the $89.99.

Sharper Image cheerfully refunded my money on the unopened one when we returned from the cruise.

We had a lecturer on board, an MD from the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona, who discussed the topic of seasickness. He quoted statistics that showed that something like 8 or 9% of people who use the $10.00 "seabands" experience relief (I am included in that group,, but my grandson was not); while 85% of users of the newer electronic version achieve complete absence of "mal de mer."

I highly recommend purchasing them and leaving them unopened unless needed. (Return if unused at the end of the voyage).. They are preferable to any tablet or pill (which are available on the ship in the Purser's office), as they do not cause drowsiness. The electronic bands have no side effects.

Archived