Sitka shore excursions ??

cruiserh

I'm not interested in fishing. Does anyone have any suggestions as to good shore excursions in Sitka? The cruise line doesn't list alot in Sitka. Is there enough to do just walking around in town. I am already doing the Misty Fjord floatplane in Ketchikan and the Coastal helicopter glacier flight and dogsledding in Juneau.

cruiserh

The raptor center is outstanding. We also enjoy visiting the Bishop's House, National Park (w/totem poles at the end of the street), and Sheldon Jackson Museum. The Bishop's House and park will accept Golden Age passes and you can get in free if you are old enough. Walking around is easy, and there was, last time we were there, a bus that circled around. Nancy

How much time do you need to enjoy walking through the town? We currently have a morning wildlife tour with Allen Marine. Would 4 hours after the tour be enough to see Sitka, or should we forego the boat tour and just spend the time in town. (We are scheduled for a 1/2 day whale watching/fishing trip in Hoonah as well.) Any suggestions would be appreciated! I am interested in seeing Heritage Park and possibly the Raptor Center and the Orthodox church. Thanks!

We are in Sitka from 9-5. The boat trip is 3 hours and starts at 9:15. Hopefully we will then have from 12:30 to 4:30 to explore Sitka! Thanks for your help! I appreciate all of the advice! (This would be our only chance to see Puffins...we are on the Captain's Choice Wildlife Quest and Beach Trek..will we see puffins on this excursion?)

We cruised last year on the Veendam and absolutely LOVED our day in Sitka! It was a beautiful clear day in mid May and we just did our own walking tour for about 4 or 5 hours. We also saw the Russian Dance Troupe show at the heritage center and it was excellent. The park with the walking trails (can't think of name but near site of battle and fort - quite a walk from "downtown") with the totem poles was my favorite while in Sitka. Lots of walking, so wear the proper footwear!

We are in Sitka from 9-5. The boat trip is 3 hours and starts at 9:15. Hopefully we will then have from 12:30 to 4:30 to explore Sitka! Thanks for your help! I appreciate all of the advice! (This would be our only chance to see Puffins...we are on the Captain's Choice Wildlife Quest and Beach Trek..will we see puffins on this excursion?)

Best are the trips to St. Lazaria Island, a puffin rookery. Is this a ship tour?? Probably with Allen Marine?? I would email them directly and inquire of the route if this is a priority. Otherwise, I would definately go with an independent.

:D :D Highly recommend you contact Sitka's Secrets as we did this tour with them last year. Kent Hall and Beverly Minn are a husband-and-wife team who have been in business since 1986. They both have degrees in wildlife biology and worked for the US Fish & Wildlife Service in Alaska.

St. Lazaria Island is part of the Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge which encompasses 65 acres and is about 15 miles west of town. There are thousands of nesting marine birds, including puffins, murres, cormorants, oystercatchers, guillemots, storm-petrels, gulls, murrelets and auklets. We did this tour last year and saw many whales, sea otters, seals, sea lions, and bald eagles. We got many whale tails with water dripping off…a wonderful, once in a life time experience that we hope to repeat at some time!! ;) Kent even threw bait into the water so we were able to photograph the bald eagle swooping down, catching the fish in it's claws, and flying away. The eagle was so close that it was difficult to get good pictures with my 100-400mm lens.

http://www.sitkasecret.com/

Another suggestion would be Davey Luben's Puffins and Whales tour. We took the four hour and saw plenty of puffins, eagles, harlequin ducks, falcon, and other birds. We even got within 15ft of a humpback whale and her baby. Davey's boat is small and will hold up to six people. He is extremely knowledgeable of the area history and sea life. Very personal tour and he will make every attempt to show you what you want to see.

Hi! Do you have any contact info for this tour? Thanks in advance. :)

Another suggestion would be Davey Luben's Puffins and Whales tour. We took the four hour and saw plenty of puffins, eagles, harlequin ducks, falcon, and other birds. We even got within 15ft of a humpback whale and her baby. Davey's boat is small and will hold up to six people. He is extremely knowledgeable of the area history and sea life. Very personal tour and he will make every attempt to show you what you want to see.

Archived