Day trip to Moscow from St. Pete

Thanks for your reply, Andee. That sounds expensive. Might be worth it, though. I mean, how often are we going to be in Russia? The cruise is so far off (390 days!) that the cruiseline doesn't have any info on shore excursions posted yet. Patience is not a virtue I can claim. :o

Judy

P.S.

Has anyone done this St. Pete-Moscow excursion? I am curious about it.

The more affordable option is by train. I received a recommendation from Alla, but we were unable to make use of the option as you require at least 2 nights in St Petersburg.I've copied some of her email to me and hope that it is of some help to you:

There is some information for you to think about:

I know that the cruise company arranges the trip s to Moscow via flights. However, I use a train as a mean of transportation from St Petersburg to Moscow. The cost of the overnight train I choose for my guests is just some $20 less expensive rather then the flight. The reason why I use overnight train is to use the day time only for touring but not for transportation. If to fly to Moscow it will be like this:

• <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: navy; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1">1 hour to get from the ship to the airport in St Petersburg. <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: navy; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1">One should be in the airport in 2 hours before the flight. <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: navy; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1">Over 1 hour flight <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: navy; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1">1 hour to get off the plane in Moscow <LI class=MsoNormal style="COLOR: navy; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1">2 hours drive from airport to the city’s center.
  • This process will repeat at the end of your Moscow tour (if not to use a return train)

And please note, all this will be in the early morning and during the day time.

The other situation is with the train.

Your first day in Russia is spent for touring. That late night you take the train and on the morning the following day you are in Moscow. You are on the tour from 9am till 6:30pm (when museums are closed already). The train departs from Moscow at 7:10pm and at 11:40pm you are in St Petersburg. You have comfortable night on the ship and the next morning (most likely at 10am) you are ready for the third day of your three days stay.

I do think it is more convenient rather then flight option.

So, based on the above explanation I do the Moscow trips for my clients this way:

The first day of your arrival we spend on the tour of the city/suburbs. This day we can be back to the ship earlier for you to have a rest before the train to Moscow. But if you are energetic and active, there is the possibility to attend a folk show or a ballet performance in a theatre or to have a walk along Nevsky prospect (the central street of the city).

Cost of the Moscow part of your trip will be $420per person.

Tisha- THANKS SO MUCH! That was a big help. I think I will just stay in St. Petersburg and have a nice stay there. It sounds too hectic to try to get to Moscow, I guess. (I would never arrive in Moscow well-rested, as I know I would never be able to sleep on a train). I guess I'll just have to save that city for a different trip.

Thanks again-

Judy

Hi

I think you will find that most if not all cruise lines have removed the Moscow excursions because of safety fears. All the excursions were by air - don't think we will mention anything else.

We are booked to do a baltic cruise in June and have just received a letter from NCL stating they had removed Moscow from their excursions.

Sue G

Hi,

One of our cruises had been a Baltic Cruise and we were sorry that we were not able to do a side excursion into Moscos. What we did was even better than only going in for the day as there is too much to see.

If a future vacation allows, I would suggest doing the St. Petersburg - Moscow river trip. It is nothing like the luxuries of a cruise ship but it is certainly educational and a great opportunity to see some of Russia in depth. Returning to St. Petersburg was an added plus as we were able to see much more than just our two days from the cruise. You may want to consider this sometime in your future travels.

Hi,

One of our cruises had been a Baltic Cruise and we were sorry that we were not able to do a side excursion into Moscos. What we did was even better than only going in for the day as there is too much to see.

If a future vacation allows, I would suggest doing the St. Petersburg - Moscow river trip. It is nothing like the luxuries of a cruise ship but it is certainly educational and a great opportunity to see some of Russia in depth. Returning to St. Petersburg was an added plus as we were able to see much more than just our two days from the cruise. You may want to consider this sometime in your future travels.

Tisha- THANKS SO MUCH! That was a big help. I think I will just stay in St. Petersburg and have a nice stay there. It sounds too hectic to try to get to Moscow, I guess. (I would never arrive in Moscow well-rested, as I know I would never be able to sleep on a train). I guess I'll just have to save that city for a different trip.

Thanks again-

Judy

Good decision. I have been to Moscow and it is not as interesting as St Peterburg and certainly not the worth the cost for a rushed day trip.

Archived